Which is better

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with that in general but ... most offenses break down because of the coaching, and not the players. I've personally seen both businesses and sports teams succeed with no changes except for the management (or coaching) team.

I think it depends on how much you buy into the "transition like no other" language. I don't think it is that hyperbolic. Now, are there ways it could be mitigated? Yes, but I think the staff is balancing that vs teaching the freshmen and sophomores the offense they will be running, so we don't stay perpetually behind. Short term pain for long term gain, more or less.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. If putting Jordan Mason at QB meant winning the game would that have been the best choice for the longterm good of the program?

Oliver isn't a QB in any system that's not the TO and continuing to play him there is putting a bandaid on a wound that needs about 40 stitches. Oliver needs to play his long term position, and someone who will still be a QB in two years needs to take the reps at QB. If we need to wildcat 100% of the time to beat Citadel then we aren't doing anything the rest of the year anyways.

Fine. We chose to lose. For the good of the program.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. If putting Jordan Mason at QB meant winning the game would that have been the best choice for the longterm good of the program?

Oliver isn't a QB in any system that's not the TO and continuing to play him there is putting a bandaid on a wound that needs about 40 stitches. Oliver needs to play his long term position, and someone who will still be a QB in two years needs to take the reps at QB. If we need to wildcat 100% of the time to beat Citadel then we aren't doing anything the rest of the year anyways.
with Dave Patenaude coaching and calling plays you ain't going to do anything the rest of the year anyway

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Fine. We chose to lose. For the good of the program.

I dont think we chose to lose, but it looks like we chose to stick to whatever the game plan was, even when losing became a very possible outcome. I would have preferred we try the safest route to a win and brought back the QB rotation antics and passing game for Temple. Only because losing to an FCS is not like any other loss, as the reaction has shown.