Which is better

Milwaukee

Banned
Tech needs the bye week to find out what they want to do on the field. Play football? Or dance?

Bear Bryant famously banned spiking the football or celebrating TDs. The team was aghast. Why not? "Because", the Bear quipped, "We're Alabama. We're supposed to be in the end zone."

We should do what Bear Bryant did at The University of Alabama 50yrs ago. Gtfoh.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Tech needs the bye week to find out what they want to do on the field. Play football? Or dance?

Bear Bryant famously banned spiking the football or celebrating TDs. The team was aghast. Why not? "Because", the Bear quipped, "We're Alabama. We're supposed to be in the end zone."

Yes, let's get rid of the one thing that is attracting recruits to our program currently, the culture and fun. Then we can both lose and be boring doing it!

Teams that are already winning can afford the business-like approach. We can't.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lol. And we should sell Coca Colas and hamburgers for ten cents. I like where your heads at.

I can only tell you what works. My corporate career was turnarounds. Usually, that means firing the existing business leader and bringing me in. I would show people what to do, explain why we do it, and ask them to explain it back to me.

Then, I would tell them ... "My expectation is that you will be perfect in your execution of this. Perfect. Do you understand?" Some where. They were promoted. Others weren't. They were replaced.

We succeeded.

Lesson? If you accept mediocrity, you will get it. If you accept nothing less that what you expect, you will get that too.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes, let's get rid of the one thing that is attracting recruits to our program currently, the culture and fun. Then we can both lose and be boring doing it!

I sorry I have to disagree to dance jump up and down on the sideline is just dumb if you are losing to a FSC team and never had the lead.

I can only tell you what works. My corporate career was turnarounds. Usually, that means firing the existing business leader and bringing me in. I would show people what to do, explain why we do it, and ask them to explain it back to me.

Then, I would tell them ... "My expectation is that you will be perfect in your execution of this. Perfect. Do you understand?" Some where. They were promoted. Others weren't. They were replaced.

We succeeded.

Lesson? If you accept mediocrity, you will get it. If you accept nothing less that what you expect, you will get that too.

And I do the same in my work. Good post

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Sorry. I cannot agree with this. I've lead multinational businesses far more complicated than 100+ guys on a football team. Or the AA. If you set the bar HIGH, you will achieve it. If you set the bar low ... you will achieve that too.

In every business I was involved in, we set the bar as "We will be the best at the world in this business. Yes, we will have to recruit and develop staff. Yes, we will need to update our products. Yes we will demand your very best."

We did. And we excelled.

S. Peter Kezios was the Dept Head in Mechanical Engineering and my professor at GT. He often said, everyone has constraints to the perfect solution. You don't have perfect solutions. Figure it out.

I think we accept mediocrity more often than confronting it. Just my opinion.

Sorry. I cannot agree with this. I've lead multinational businesses far more complicated than 100+ guys on a football team. Or the AA. If you set the bar HIGH, you will achieve it. If you set the bar low ... you will achieve that too.

In every business I was involved in, we set the bar as "We will be the best at the world in this business. Yes, we will have to recruit and develop staff. Yes, we will need to update our products. Yes we will demand your very best."

We did. And we excelled.

S. Peter Kezios was the Dept Head in Mechanical Engineering and my professor at GT. He often said, everyone has constraints to the perfect solution. You don't have perfect solutions. Figure it out.

did Kezios have a son that went to Westminster about 1975? My brother was in school with a Peter Kezios.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

We did. And we excelled.

Where have you heard mediocrity from this staff, though? All I hear is elite program, culture built on effort, how you do anything is how you do everything, etc. Yes, they could use some discipline as far as the penalties go, but I took your comment to mean we should go the stuffy Bryant-Saban route when its clear we are going the Dabo route. Hype and substance can coexist. What I was getting at is if you start restraining or watering down the culture Collins has built, the only thing left to judge us on are on field results that are likely to be quite ugly for a while, regardless of what we do.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Where have you heard mediocrity from this staff, though? All I hear is elite program, culture built on effort, how you do anything is how you do everything, etc. Yes, they could use some discipline as far as the penalties go, but I took your comment to mean we should go the stuffy Bryant-Saban route when its clear we are going the Dabo route. Hype and substance can coexist.

I heard it from you.

“Yes, let's get rid of the one thing that is attracting recruits to our program currently, the culture and fun. Then we can both lose and be boring doing it!

Teams that are already winning can afford the business-like approach. We can't.”

And I disagree with this.

Gene Stallings won a Natty at Alabama in 1992. Dabo played for Stallings.

Stallings was once asked how he did it. He built a board with 20 metrics. He compared team performances to plan. He said “If we get close to these numbers, we’ll win it all.” They did.

His mentor? Tom Landry. Trained as a engineer. It’s inputs - process- outputs. Simple really.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

We succeeded.

Interesting.

How many got "processed" out?