Which bourbon is best paired with a GT win over UM?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
okay, this is a thread I can really get behind! Especially since the Pappy and BTAC's were just released. Was able to get a Pappy 15, WLW, Saz, and George T. this year. Still hunting. There are so many good choices. I think I'm up to about 65 bottles of bourbon (don't tell my wife). There are so many good bourbons out there, and the quality and quantities are increasing. Don't like the sherry-cask stuff, so Angels Envy, Belle Mead, and some of the other highly popular bourbons are unattractive to me. Like my whiskey hot, so generally gravitate towards barrel proof or cask strength versions, which bumps the cost up. Here's one man's opinion:

Best under $30: Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Very Old Barton, Weller Antique 107
Best under $70: Knob Creek 12, Old Forester 1920, Barrell New Year, Weller 12, Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength (any mash)
Best PERIOD!: Old Forester 1920, Joseph Magnus, Blanton's Gold, Ol' Fangled Knotter Bourbon,

Best everyday drink while I'm watching:

Knob Creek 12 year Old Forester 1920 Barrell New Year Booker's Backyard BBQ
Builett Cask Strength Henry McKenna BNB Weller 12

After a victory, I might splurge:

George T Stagg, Sr. Old Rip Van Winkle Blanton's Gold
Joseph Magnus Ol' Fangled Knotter Blood Oath 3rd or 4th

Everything is drunk neat. The George T. might get a drop of water to open up the aromatics, but that generally doesn't happen. I love the mouth-feel of the hot stuff.

For those of you who like to mix your bourbon, I would recommend Very Old Barton. It's the best $15 bottle of bourbon you will find (unless you live in Kentucky and can find Heaven Hill 6 year Green Label).

You sound like a professional. I'm officially impressed and shamed.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You sound like a professional. I'm officially impressed and shamed.
No. Just really like bourbon. I usually have 1 drink after the kids disappear at night. Like most things, bourbon taste is a personal thing. I've gotten to know the whiskey buyers at my local liquor store and they've taught me much and recommended great choices.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When I was a kid(and this will reveal a lot about both my age and socioeconomic background) if I was sick, I got a concoction of hot water, Jim Beam bourbon, honey and lemon. Didn't matter if I was at home or at either grandparents house. I think I learned to fake a cough really well as a youngster as I kind of liked that stuff. nowadays, mom or my grandmas would be in a world of trouble for that.

This is in no way a violation of any state law. Not unless grandma is getting the kiddo drunk with too many doses.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not much for bourbon, myself; I have a yen for a good old Tennessee sour mash, like Jack Daniels - the whiskey that mellowed the voice of Frank Sinatra.

Couple, two, three glasses and I can sing like Frank, I think...

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I am greatly enjoying the comments/suggestions on this thread. Keep it up men I am taking notes! I will be expanding my bourbon shopping list or trying a few here/there when I find them! GO JACKETS!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I am on watch now for Pappy to hit my area. Some of these items are getting more and more difficult to find. Plus being able to rationalize the price of it once you see it on the shelf. Lol
you need to go over the state line to Alabama and purchase at retail through ABC state managed stores. Investigate when each store receives the handful of bottles and be early! Buy three, send me one for my consulting fee and sell the third for the cost of all three!! LOA Talking about Pappy

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Pick a good one and make sure to "chew it'. Literally like you are chewing steak. It will sting a little, then after that you'll get all of the really good flavors.

/

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Rebel Yell. It was a tailgate favorite when I was in school, until someone spilled it on a car fender and it messed up the finish.
Yep Rebel Yell definitely our bourbon of choice on game day. I found a bottle of Rebel Yell in a bar on the Thames river in London. My Aussie colleagues and myself killed the whole bottle while I taught them the GT fight song. Quite a memorable night. Definitely hurt the next day much more than my Aussie friends. Those blokes can drink

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So after a loooooonnnngggg hiatus on this board this thread brought me out. I have taken a time out from posting this year. Enjoying time with my little jacket.

Tonight I will be drinking coopers craft. It’s a decent budget bourbon. Bought it because it came with a Braves bourbon glass.

I also have some Jameson crested. Got it from a family member who visited Ireland a while back. It’s amazing. Can’t get it in the states. Lots a banana and clove flavors. Easily a whiskey to drink neat maybe a splash of water to release aromatics. Personally I have spherical ice cube trays that have very little surface area and melt slowly such that no water needs to added beyond ice melt.

My go to is Makers Mark though. I also like Town Branch. It’s $32 a bottle and it’s made in Kentucky. It’s really good stuff. Can not recommend Town Branch enough.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2018-11-10_16-6-25.jpeg

Sweet. Can be sampled strait up. Over ice at night is best!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If you’re really looking to spend a lot and be adventurous, Yamazaki 12-Year is superb! I’m drinking some right now at a sushi restaurant, and it’s worth every penny.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Well boys. Cheers I have had a few tonight and none tasted better than the W CPJ AND WOODY threw down o richt. Here's to The memories and may the W's keep rolling our way. Next up UVA then that nasty vet school in Athens. Here's to 2 more W's let's save the worst *** kicking for smart *** Kirby and the sess pool. Go Jackets! What's the good word?!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well boys. Cheers I have had a few tonight and none tasted better than the W CPJ AND WOODY threw down o richt. Here's to The memories and may the W's keep rolling our way. Next up UVA then that nasty vet school in Athens. Here's to 2 more W's let's save the worst *** kicking for smart *** Kirby and the sess pool. Go Jackets! What's the good word?!
THWG!