Where the Program stands

slugboy

Staff member

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
100% agree with the last paragraph and I will give credit to CGC and ADTS for making some what appear to be impactful hires. I also think they did about as well as they could to get talent in that could help now. CGC has heard the message about shutting off the hype machine and he appears to be focused on coaching. He's betting on himself with keeping Thacker on board - he has to think that gives him the best chance of being successful and saving his job and career as as a HC. So, as tough as I have been on him since game 1, I think he has done all he could have done since the last seconds of the UGA game. Will it be enough remains to be seen. It's on him - either he turns it around (significantly) or we start over next year.
Coach Collins needs to take over all aspects of that defense and get those men to play with their hair on fire. He did it before and he can do it again but relying on Coach Thacker is not going to get it done. God knows we simply cannot get into shootouts with the offense we have.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Well 5 more, plus one draft pick. Yes, a total of 7 signed NFL contracts is not what one would expect from a 3-9 team. That's the other part of the equation: 3-9.
But if you don't see it that way we'll just agree to disagree.
I think it’s awesome we had 7 guys sign NFL contracts. I also think we were under-coached. That being said, your comment that we had 7 guys sign NFL contracts (although factually accurate) came off sounding like all of these guys were drafted. We only had 1 guy drafted. There’s a pretty big difference between being drafted and UDFA. You could argue there isn’t much difference between a 7th rounder and an UDFA. That’s fine, but overall there is a pretty big difference. I think that was the primary point that you are either missing or ignoring.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Coach Collins needs to take over all aspects of that defense and get those men to play with their hair on fire. He did it before and he can do it again but relying on Coach Thacker is not going to get it done. God knows we simply cannot get into shootouts with the offense we have.
I wish he would have just gotten in there from day one. Obviously the guy knows defense. I was much more excited about that than all the recruiting Ra Ra.

Maybe this is the year? (Hopefully a nice bump with the new offensive coaches as well? Lighting in a bottle?)

JacketFan137

Banned
I think it’s awesome we had 7 guys sign NFL contracts. I also think we were under-coached. That being said, your comment that we had 7 guys sign NFL contracts (although factually accurate) came off sounding like all of these guys were drafted. We only had 1 guy drafted. There’s a pretty big difference between being drafted and UDFA. You could argue there isn’t much difference between a 7th rounder and an UDFA. That’s fine, but overall there is a pretty big difference. I think that was the primary point that you are either missing or ignoring.
only time will truly tell if those guys were real nfl talents or not. history does not bode well for most of them and i would be pretty surprised if more than 2 of those UDFAs last through camp. making a roster as an UDFA is incredibly difficult. there’s 350 UDFAs this year and maybe 30 will make it.

while it’s an accomplishment to sign an UDFA deal it’s not anywhere near the damning indictment that some may present it as. i’m honestly not even sure that is a good number of UDFAs + draft picks relative to some of the teams we played

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I clearly said they were signed contracts and that's exactly what they were. I clearly did not say in any single instance that they were drafted. If you read into my factual statement something that was un-factual, that's on you. I did not "ignore" that they were undrafted. In one post above, I clearly delineated between the one draftee and the six others. It shouldn't have come off sounding like there were 7 draftees, because everybody knows we didn't have 7 draftees. We had one draftee. Everybody knows that. If somebody's ignoring and missing points, it isn't me, it's the one who is reading in what is not stated.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the defense numbers. Was the ‘85 Bears defense playing for us that year? Stellar D. I looked up the 1985 season on Wikipedia and we played three games against the SEC that year and we were 1-1-1. Lost to Auburn by a FG, tied Tennessee, and beat the Mutts by 4. 9-2-1 overall that season and beat Michigan State by a FG in the Hall of Fame Classic. Go Jackets!
It was a wonderful defense. It’s the ultimate GT dilemma. We can’t have good D and O simultaneously since 1990.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
only time will truly tell if those guys were real nfl talents or not. history does not bode well for most of them and i would be pretty surprised if more than 2 of those UDFAs last through camp.
I don't expect them all to make rosters, or even half of them. I never said otherwise. But as I've said before, just signing an NFL contract means they had exceptional talent.

i’m honestly not even sure that is a good number of UDFAs + draft picks relative to some of the teams we played
How many of those teams went 3-9? That's the point. 7 signed contracts off a 3-9 team.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't expect them all to make rosters, or even half of them. I never said otherwise. But as I've said before, just signing an NFL contract means they had exceptional talent.

How many of those teams went 3-9? That's the point. 7 signed contracts off a 3-9 team.
idk you have been pushing this narrative constantly on this board since the draft and i’m just not sure it is half the indictment that you think it is and especially until we see if any of them last longer than camp. i don’t disagree that collins is struggling getting the best out of most of the guys on the roster but you really keep presenting this like we had some star studded lineup that collins is too bad to do anything with

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
idk you have been pushing this narrative constantly on this board since the draft and i’m just not sure it is half the indictment that you think it is and especially until we see if any of them last longer than camp.
As you said, "...it’s an accomplishment to sign an UDFA deal...". It means they had talent - talent that was apparently wasted by the coaching staff. I doubt that very many expected 7 Jackets to sign deals after last year's dismal performance and yes, I do think it's indicative of a talented group that was poorly led.

Actually, that's a hopeful sign because we have better coaches this year which will translate to better results on the field.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
He needs to do that and let someone else do more game management. Without his willingness to do that it will be a long season for us and a short one for him.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He needs to do that and let someone else do more game management. Without his willingness to do that it will be a long season for us and a short one for him.
I wonder who that would be? Brent Key? I've had the same thought but kind of strange if it's not the HC making HC decisions.
Someone figured Collins will be the primary preparer of the defense in practice (strategy) and Thacker will be the primary game-day tactician on Saturday (or Thursday). Makes sense. Thacker's still here, still officially DC, so that would seem to be his role. That would leave game management to Collins.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wonder who that would be? Brent Key? I've had the same thought but kind of strange if it's not the HC making HC decisions.
Someone figured Collins will be the primary preparer of the defense in practice (strategy) and Thacker will be the primary game-day tactician on Saturday (or Thursday). Makes sense. Thacker's still here, still officially DC, so that would seem to be his role. That would leave game management to Collins.

From what i saw, Thacker is a quality control Inspector and CGC is the actual DC

Hopefully, we get the MSU & UF level of defensive play. Never saw those defenses look lost or out of position

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
From what i saw, Thacker is a quality control Inspector and CGC is the actual DC

Hopefully, we get the MSU & UF level of defensive play. Never saw those defenses look lost or out of position
What exactly would be Thacker's responsibility as quality control inspector? What does that mean - is he in charge of personnel, or what?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

Just curious, what do you mean by "from what you saw"? Like game film? Or more behind the scenes?

This has been my understanding so far: that CGC is the real DC, and Thacker is basically learning on the job.