Where the Program stands

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot recently. I wonder if anyone else is considering the effect of absolutism in this discussion. I’ve always considered myself a realist with optimistic tendencies. I’ve seen the topic of lowered expectations bandied about here for the last few seasons. I’m not sure I fully understand what our expectations should be in relation to our current funding and roster/coaching staff (which is a DIRECT result of said funding).

As such, when faced with questions of fandom, I have always understood my eternal hope and optimism inside the context of the circumstances. I can root for my team (which is financially and athletically disadvantaged) while simultaneously celebrating the “adjusted expectation of success” we make AND campaigning for improved circumstances to drive the “adjusted expectation of success” higher.

Sometimes I think that nuance gets lost via the quick hit, asynchronous communication common on message boards. I can be dissatisfied with our current limitations while still acknowledging and even feeling happiness about our level of competitiveness in relation to our competition.

While CGC is the captain of the ship, he can’t conjure up more money to pay better staff or drop NIL bags to sway the 5 stars we all covet. I want more success for the program, and have not been satisfied with results on the field. I also acknowledge we aren’t playing the same hands as Clemson, Bama, uGa or other top flight programs.

I don’t know that I have many answers but thought it worth posting to advance the conversation here on where we are, and what we can reasonably expect.

That said, I’m still hopeful the changes on staff are positive and we see things click into place to get us back to winning seasons and even a bowl game again. Sure would be sweet to celebrate with you all as opposed to dissecting our losses.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot recently. I wonder if anyone else is considering the effect of absolutism in this discussion. I’ve always considered myself a realist with optimistic tendencies. I’ve seen the topic of lowered expectations bandied about here for the last few seasons. I’m not sure I fully understand what our expectations should be in relation to our current funding and roster/coaching staff (which is a DIRECT result of said funding).

As such, when faced with questions of fandom, I have always understood my eternal hope and optimism inside the context of the circumstances. I can root for my team (which is financially and athletically disadvantaged) while simultaneously celebrating the “adjusted expectation of success” we make AND campaigning for improved circumstances to drive the “adjusted expectation of success” higher.

Sometimes I think that nuance gets lost via the quick hit, asynchronous communication common on message boards. I can be dissatisfied with our current limitations while still acknowledging and even feeling happiness about our level of competitiveness in relation to our competition.

While CGC is the captain of the ship, he can’t conjure up more money to pay better staff or drop NIL bags to sway the 5 stars we all covet. I want more success for the program, and have not been satisfied with results on the field. I also acknowledge we aren’t playing the same hands as Clemson, Bama, uGa or other top flight programs.

I don’t know that I have many answers but thought it worth posting to advance the conversation here on where we are, and what we can reasonably expect.

That said, I’m still hopeful the changes on staff are positive and we see things click into place to get us back to winning seasons and even a bowl game again. Sure would be sweet to celebrate with you all as opposed to dissecting our losses.

Absolutism is quickly eroding our ability to think critically about the issues we find ourselves in, and that's not just on this message board, but throughout our daily lives. More and more, the 140 character twitter hot take is replacing the nuanced and well thought out positions of the past.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was a wonderful defense. It’s the ultimate GT dilemma. We can’t have good D and O simultaneously since 1990.
The other night I was watching a replay of the 1985 game with NC State. Granted the Wolfpack struggled that year but what I could not help but notice was that when they would throw a pass to a back out in the flats, it looked like a huge piece of meat dropped into a pool with a school of piranha. Roof, Anderson, Pounds, Sendobry, and Swilling played like lunatics that had escaped from an asylum. Swilling had 5 or 6 sacks that day which equaled the entire number he had recorded the year before.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Your positive optimism does you credit. We have not been "playing the same hands as Clemson, Bama, UGA or other top flight programs" for quite some time. Neither has most of the bottom two thirds or so of the Power 5 conference teams.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Amen!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The other night I was watching a replay of the 1985 game with NC State. Granted the Wolfpack struggled that year but what I could not help but notice was that when they would throw a pass to a back out in the flats, it looked like a huge piece of meat dropped into a pool with a school of piranha. Roof, Anderson, Pounds, Sendobry, and Swilling played like lunatics that had escaped from an asylum. Swilling had 5 or 6 sacks that day which equaled the entire number he had recorded the year before.
Swilling either tied or broke the NCAA record that day. I believe it was 7 sacks.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Talent vs coaching--talent can and does have an impact on a high level of penalties, questionable time-outs, and overall disorganization, but only in a minimal sense. These problems are caused by coaching for the most part. Think 80/20 rule. Our kids the last 3 years have been mid 3* players, like the vast majority of players on any team you see play without committing the above fubars. A team full of mid 3* players can and do look well coached and organized vs a team full of 4* players. As for the greatest transition reasoning, it's real, but exaggerated a great deal, i.e. CPJ's first teams at Tech and Switzer's OU teams after transitioning from the TO.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Indeed he is. How about the other six? Just crappy players who lucked out, or what?
I don't keep up w nfl so help me out.

Have these players received significant $$ from NFL teams? When will we know they are on the teams for next season?
Or
Are they under a "contract" that says here's a few $, we will let u try out , but mostly it's a waiver of right to seek damage for anything .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't keep up w nfl so help me out.

Have these players received significant $$ from NFL teams? When will we know they are on the teams for next season?
Or
Are they under a "contract" that says here's a few $, we will let u try out , but mostly it's a waiver of right to seek damage for anything .
Six of them are NDFA's and have an uphill battle to make any permanent rosters. But my point is that for them to be able to sign at all with the NFL means they are among the few hundred who played their last college football in 2022 who have talent enough to be offered any contract at all as opposed to the many thousands who were not. These in addition to the one (Carpenter) who was drafted.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Does this include all the pro sport contracts? If so, remove that, and GT is easily first or second along with Rice then a large gap to the next school.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Does this include all the pro sport contracts? If so, remove that, and GT is easily first or second along with Rice then a large gap to the next school.
It says it’s a list of the median income, so removing the relatively small number of professional contracts probably doesn’t move the needle much.
The fine print at the bottom also says it’s students who received Federal Aid, started college 10 years ago and doesn’t factor in completion status.
It’s presented as if it shows the value of a degree from each school, but the fine print indicates it doesn’t include all students, and includes some that didn’t get degrees.... Honestly, I’m not sure what it is actually showing!

Edit: saw a funny comment when I clicked the link to see if there was more context. Someone all excited that Cal was the top public university... very quickly corrected

Last edited: