Where the Program stands

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
the fact that you’re comparing any of them to what was going on at tech is kind of a stretch. they were not tasked with anywhere near as drastic of a change as collins. mack brown was also making 5 mil and bronco was being paid 4.5 mil a year. they had better staff and more financial backing.

chadwell is playing at a different level of football and also shouldn’t be compared
I generally try to be open minded with your attempts to defend CGC, but “If we only paid him more he’d have done a better job?” GTFOH.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree with your point, but let’s be honest that it didn’t need to be a total build, either. I refuse to believe that there was nothing positive to build upon, yet the decision (either consciously or unconsciously) was made to essentially scrap everything. That set us back more than anyone imagined. And before anyone accuses me of just hating on CGC, I will readily volunteer that he was FAR from alone in that effort.
Exactly. Those desiring to destroy the program and rebuild from the ground up got what they wanted. Now it's a ton of revisionist history & invoking claims that it had to be this way. It just isn't so. The very worst we should have had would have been an injury plagued season where we won 3-4 games, not 3 seasons of embarrassment. We could have easily have leveraged the strengths of the exsiting running game, build a higher percentage passigng offense around it over a couple seasons & used the immense defense mind that our coach has to shore up the swiss cheese D. That alone coupled with the elite recruits we signed would have picked us up probably an extra win per season to start & God knows probably 9 or 10 wins this season. It is likely going to take a very long time to recover from this mistake. We might be into the 30's before we're relevant again.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I generally try to be open minded with your attempts to defend CGC, but “If we only paid him more he’d have done a better job?” GTFOH.'
I'm with you on how I feel about JacketFan's undying defense of CGC (or just of the state of the program), but here I don't think that is what he was saying.... With better financial support we could have had a better staff (i.e. one that didn't include a never was like Patenaude), but of course with better financial support things might have looked different under CPJ too...

Just trying to be a little fair to JacketFan. I roll my eyes sometimes, but I admire the dedication....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm quoting your post, @cthenrys but this question isn't really addressed to you as you've already answered it. But is there anyone out there that really thinks our problems the last three years have been talent ALONE? Or is it a pretty safe bet that everyone knows that at least some of the problem has been coaching. I'm not suggesting there's any agreement about how much of our problem was coaching vs athletes. But I just can't believe that anyone out there really thinks our coaching staff the previous three seasons was doing the best job any coaching staff could possibly do and getting the most out of the players we had on the field. I'm a pretty open-minded person but I'll say that I can't be convinced that we couldn't have won 3 out of the losses against BC, Miami, UVA, and VT and that those were totally due to a lack of talent.
The team that went 3-9 saw 8 of its players sign NFL contracts. Yeah, "some of the problem has been coaching". I'd say that's an understatement.
But as to the state of the program, at least we've improved the sideline for this year. We'll see what happens...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you on how I feel about JacketFan's undying defense of CGC (or just of the state of the program), but here I don't think that is what he was saying.... With better financial support we could have had a better staff (i.e. one that didn't include a never was like Patenaude), but of course with better financial support things might have looked different under CPJ too...

Just trying to be a little fair to JacketFan. I roll my eyes sometimes, but I admire the dedication....
Only matters with the right person making the hire. More money being available should give the AD more potential candidates but still doesn't guarantee success.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The team that went 3-9 saw 8 of its players sign NFL contracts. Yeah, "some of the problem has been coaching". I'd say that's an understatement.
But as to the state of the program, at least we've improved the sideline for this year. We'll see what happens...
Anything between 1-99 percent is “some.” My point was that nobody thinks it is zero percent of the problem but there’s likely lots of different opinions on how much. I think last year we lost at least three games due to poor coaching, probably four and maybe even five. So count me among those who feel like last year was more about coaching thank personnel.

I completely agree that there’s been upgrades to our coaching staff so yeah, we will see if that leads to enough improvement in the W column.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Only matters with the right person making the hire. More money being available should give the AD more potential candidates but still doesn't guarantee success.
We need to take some of that money and hire a decent AD. Radakovich bolted when he realized the GT had no commitment. Everyone's saying we got it now, so time for everyone- the fanbase, the big $$ donors, etc to put their money where there mouth is. There's widespread disdain for anything unique in terms of scheme so we either need to aim high with high profile, expensive hires and make a splash or resign ourselves to being a bottom feeder trying to play the same game the bg programs are. Hopey, changey never works.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Uh huh. Just having a cup of coffee in the NFL means you've got talent, and we had 7 guys sign contracts who played for us last year (OK, seven) + Jerry Howard. And speaking of disingenuousness, you're the only one who talks about camp invitees. I never mentioned them once. Yet again, I am talking about contracts that are signed on the line which is dotted.

Of course it means something. It means they had talent. And playing on a 3-9 team indicates strongly that they were under coached.
What’s really eye-opening is when the NFL coaches move them to different positions.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Uh huh. Just having a cup of coffee in the NFL means you've got talent, and we had 7 guys sign contracts who played for us last year (OK, seven) + Jerry Howard. And speaking of disingenuousness, you're the only one who talks about camp invitees. I never mentioned them once. Yet again, I am talking about contracts that are signed on the line which is dotted.

Of course it means something. It means they had talent. And playing on a 3-9 team indicates strongly that they were under coached.
Man, this has been said a couple of times before. At least.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Jack Coco signing UDFA contract as a long snapper with GB is now indicative of the talent on the team lol
Your cherry-picked example is indicative of the strength of your argument lol.
Yeah, yet another guy miscast here who made money in the NFL doing something else.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's fair to say we knew a rebuild was needed. It is not realistic to say that anyone expected 9 wins in 3 seasons.
That has simply been a mismanaged rebuild to this point.

Also, talking about the financial support isn't really accurate. Some of the big donors stepped up to provide more money when CGC was hired. By GT standards he was arguably given more support than any coach in recent history.

The basic issue for GT remains - it is one of the smallest P5 schools and has a student body demographic base that is very different from most other P5 schools. Those both negatively impact the ability of GT to raise funds beyond the TV contract (Which is what really makes the huge difference) to compete.