Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego…um…er…Tashard Choice? (TX?)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oh I agree.

I was hopeful when Collins came in we would have much improved recruiting and great defenses.

Recruiting has improved, but the defense has regressed (which I didn’t think was possible).

Losing Choice and Gibbs really hurt.

He’s going to need to win at least 6 games next year to have any chance of sticking around.

The thing is I don’t want him to just stick around. I’d like for something to be building. I just don’t have confidence he can do it (hope I’m wrong)

Feels like we’re in a weird spot. I’ll never pull for GT to lose so I’m hoping between the Long hire, rumors of Collins taking over the D, some solid transfers on the LOS, and another year of improvement in Sims we take a massive leap next year.

I’m sick of being bad.
All good points.
Without Gibbs we are back to reality. When gibbs got the ball in any kind of open space he was from day 1 NFL electric.
Next year winning will have to come from overall coaching , player development, play calling, hustle, and teamwork. There is no magic fix.

Collins used what he had ( choice) to get gibbs. Without choice i doubt we get gibbs. The second thing that brought gibbs was key could build an ol in 3 years. We will find out in year 4 if it was injuries that kept us from being a clearly better ol in year 3.

If we have an ol and a dl we can expect gradual improvement.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I realize that this can look like a smart career move by Choice, but I also think it can be seen as a symptom of the state of our program. Everything isn’t black and white. We can acknowledge the timing and circumstances of this is troubling while also acknowledging it makes sense from a career perspective.

That said, Georgia Tech means more to some former players than others. I don’t mean that as a criticism to some former players. It just is what it is. Similar to how some folks are more patriotic than others and what not. People are different. Choice has ALWAYS come off as someone who REALLY loves Georgia Tech. You can feel his love and pride for this program whenever he talks about The Flats. I have no way to prove this, but I really do not think Choice would leave Tech for the same position if the program was in a healthy state. That’s just my opinion.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I realize that this can look like a smart career move by Choice, but I also think it can be seen as a symptom of the state of our program. Everything isn’t black and white. We can acknowledge the timing and circumstances of this is troubling while also acknowledging it makes sense from a career perspective.

That said, Georgia Tech means more to some former players than others. I don’t mean that as a criticism to some former players. It just is what it is. Similar to how some folks are more patriotic than others and what not. People are different. Choice has ALWAYS come off as someone who REALLY loves Georgia Tech. You can feel his love and pride for this program whenever he talks about The Flats. I have no way to prove this, but I really do not think Choice would leave Tech for the same position if the program was in a healthy state. That’s just my opinion.

As you say, we are dealing with opinions here. Mine is that people who are his age follow the money and/or move in the interests of furthering their careers. People who follow their hearts instead of their brains are on the backside of their careers, have raised their kids and payed off the mortgages and have set themselves up for retirement and have little to no financial motivation when selecting jobs.

ETA - no doubt our current state of affairs play into things. If we were going into the playoffs in year 3 I am relatively sure we could have found a way to match USC's offer. But we may be dealing with a buyout soon.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
As you say, we are dealing with opinions here. Mine is that people who are his age follow the money and/or move in the interests of furthering their careers. People who follow their hearts instead of their brains are on the backside of their careers, have raised their kids and payed off the mortgages and have set themselves up for retirement and have little to no financial motivation when selecting jobs.

ETA - no doubt our current state of affairs play into things. If we were going into the playoffs in year 3 I am relatively sure we could have found a way to match USC's offer. But we may be dealing with a buyout soon.

And that’s a fair argument to be made. Regardless of the why’s, it’s a big loss for us, but I wish him nothing but the best. He’s always been a great ambassador for our program and always been a class act. I wish him success that hopefully leads him back here in the future in another capacity.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Choice expected GT to be in a different place right now. He’s moving up because personally that’s what’s best for him. I know the position is a lateral move, but in all other respects unfortunately right now it’s a fairly large upgrade.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If you look at the resumes of most assistant coaches, most have made a lot of moves. Money is a motivator, promotion to more responsibility, and getting to better branded programs. All of those are reasons to make a change. Head coaches may have longer tenure but a lot less likely for assistants (with obviously the noted exception of Clemson...until this year).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
sad homer simpson GIF

This has nothing to do with the CTC thread, just seemed like a good time for an elite humor break....
There is that "word" sure to trigger someone (elite).

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
You can have your opinion but I see it up close. Our local GT alumni club has died because there is no new blood. UGA’s club is thriving because they not only keep their alumni in the family but bring in new ones. Bobby Dodd crowds will become smaller and smaller as we create alumni with zero ties to the state of Georgia and have zero intention of staying here. I’ve posted several examples of my sons freshmen dorm across from the stadium where most could care less about american football. GT is in no way a unified college. Football could go away tomorrow and you’d here cheers on campus from the faculty. We are doing this to ourselves and getting the results many on the academic side want. And yet we wonder why the money isn’t poring in. When you take a kid from another coI try instead of a 2nd or 3rd generation GT family you shouldn’t be shocked when the money stops.
Every Ga. Tech legacy that wants a Tech degree can get a shot at one. They go to another school freshman year, make the appropriate grades and they are admitted for the rest of their studies at Tech. If one doesn't want to go through that process, then maybe they really don't want to go to Tech. And the academic donation money ain't stopping and based on the 2020 Campaign, the AA money didn't either. Could we donate more, sure but our AA financial problems are because we have had some seriously negligent AD's that can't handle finances.

I hope to see CTC as HC at Tech some day.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a lot of things to grumble about re GT football. This is not one of them. Fact is we made a good hire, and he got poached by deeper pockets and more recent upside. That's what happens when you make good hires. In fact, if this was happening more often and in more spots, then it pretty much guarantees your team is better and soon you start becoming that destination.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Every Ga. Tech legacy that wants a Tech degree can get a shot at one. They go to another school freshman year, make the appropriate grades and they are admitted for the rest of their studies at Tech. If one doesn't want to go through that process, then maybe they really don't want to go to Tech. And the academic donation money ain't stopping and based on the 2020 Campaign, the AA money didn't either. Could we donate more, sure but our AA financial problems are because we have had some seriously negligent AD's that can't handle finances.

I hope to see CTC as HC at Tech some day.
I hear you. But how many 18 year olds who do not get admitted the regular way would go to another school, grow roots then transfer. I get it that it can be done as my son would have done it if he had to but that‘s a tough ask for most 18 year olds especially when other schools are throwing money at these high end kids. All I’m saying is that when you see Bobby Dodd half or 3/4‘s full even when we are winning just know why. We are creating alumni with zero ties to the state, Atlanta, or the school. They are here to get the degree and move on. Meanwhile, every other P5 school around us (FSU, Clemson, UGA, Auburn, Bama, Florida, Tennessee) don’t have that problem because they are creating alums who will walk over hot coals to attend future games. I’m telling you this past fall opened my eyes as I spent time in my sons dorm. Again, these students are high end academic beasts from all over the world or are second generation Americans. They are good people. But they give as much thought to football or hoops as we do to cricket or handball. So future season ticket holders they are not. And a high percentage of the local students are such nerds they aren’t really football folks either. It’s a numbers games and GT isn‘t growing enough. My son said it’s just weird because he is use to Saturdays being “game day” his entire life with his friends and their teams. Now, he lives across from the stadium and his new friends could care less. He spends a lot of time texting sports with his buddies at Auburn, UGA, and Bama.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Recruiting is better under Collins, but not by alot and not by anywhere close to enough to make up for huge deficits in other parts of the program.

Here are his first 4 recruiting classes from 247Sports
2019 - 50 (this is the changeover year so not really on Collins)
2020 - 27
2021 - 48
2022 - 37 (currently)

The previous regime's classes tended to be in the 40's and 50's.

I expect recruiting for 2023 is going to be tough given the last 3 years on the field. Have to see significant improvement in W/L or recruiting will simply dry up.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hear you. But how many 18 year olds who do not get admitted the regular way would go to another school, grow roots then transfer. I get it that it can be done as my son would have done it if he had to but that‘s a tough ask for most 18 year olds especially when other schools are throwing money at these high end kids. All I’m saying is that when you see Bobby Dodd half or 3/4‘s full even when we are winning just know why. We are creating alumni with zero ties to the state, Atlanta, or the school. They are here to get the degree and move on. Meanwhile, every other P5 school around us (FSU, Clemson, UGA, Auburn, Bama, Florida, Tennessee) don’t have that problem because they are creating alums who will walk over hot coals to attend future games. I’m telling you this past fall opened my eyes as I spent time in my sons dorm. Again, these students are high end academic beasts from all over the world or are second generation Americans. They are good people. But they give as much thought to football or hoops as we do to cricket or handball. So future season ticket holders they are not. And a high percentage of the local students are such nerds they aren’t really football folks either. It’s a numbers games and GT isn‘t growing enough. My son said it’s just weird because he is use to Saturdays being “game day” his entire life with his friends and their teams. Now, he lives across from the stadium and his new friends could care less. He spends a lot of time texting sports with his buddies at Auburn, UGA, and Bama.
This doesn't shock me and is unlikely to change. As I have said in the recent past, look at the demographics of GT's student body and compare it to the demographics at most other schools around it, and the demographics for college football fans in general, and GT's student body doesn't look like 'college football' demographics and I don't expect that to ever change.

It's not that the Institute is actively against 'college football', it is more that its academic interests don't line up neatly with the athletic side. There isn't really another school in the SE that looks like GT - that is just the simple truth. The school whose demographics most closely resembles GT is Duke.

And while I never missed a football or basketball game in my 5 years at GT and love GT athletics, I wouldn't expect or encourage the Institute to change the students it brings in.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting is better under Collins, but not by alot and not by anywhere close to enough to make up for huge deficits in other parts of the program.

Here are his first 4 recruiting classes from 247Sports
2019 - 50 (this is the changeover year so not really on Collins)
2020 - 27
2021 - 48
2022 - 37 (currently)

The previous regime's classes tended to be in the 40's and 50's.

I expect recruiting for 2023 is going to be tough given the last 3 years on the field. Have to see significant improvement in W/L or recruiting will simply dry up.
Collins had it going on the recruiting side. If he won 6 this year we might be celebrating one of the best classes ever. Next year will be tough without choice and we could use a fast start to the season.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
This doesn't shock me and is unlikely to change. As I have said in the recent past, look at the demographics of GT's student body and compare it to the demographics at most other schools around it, and the demographics for college football fans in general, and GT's student body doesn't look like 'college football' demographics and I don't expect that to ever change.

It's not that the Institute is actively against 'college football', it is more that its academic interests don't line up neatly with the athletic side. There isn't really another school in the SE that looks like GT - that is just the simple truth. The school whose demographics most closely resembles GT is Duke.

And while I never missed a football or basketball game in my 5 years at GT and love GT athletics, I wouldn't expect or encourage the Institute to change the students it brings in.
There is not another Institute of higher learning like Ga. Tech. in FBS football. Our academic peers are not Stanford and Duke, but more like Cal Tech and MIT. Keep preaching, Red!

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech's student demographics and academic profile has long been the way it is (actually, academic offerings have broadened considerably). It was that way when I was there and students still packed the stadium. There is always a significant number of Tech students who have no interest in football. But when the team had been winning or consistently competitive in the past, there were plenty enough students who support football.

There is a lot of apathy with Tech football right now amongst students and alums. That began before CGC towards the end of CPJ's tenure, and it's likely at an all time high now under CGC. Only winning will change it, but winning (over time) can most definitely change it.