Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego…um…er…Tashard Choice? (TX?)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Been saying this for years. The problem is GT is a fractured business model where the academic side not only doesn’t care about outside activities but often actively tries to sabotage outside activities, Meanwhile, high level academic schools like Notre Dame, Stanford, etc. are schools with administrations that work together in all facets. I’m down here in South Georgia and the number of GT families that have morphed away from GT is just staggering and sad. All because their kids who are freaking high end students end up at UGA (now Bama lately with the amount of money they are throwing around in scholarships) because GT would rather take kids from out of state or out of country. I can see the day where the academic side drops the “Georgia“ from the name.
This post couldn't be more wrong on so many levels.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Been saying this for years. The problem is GT is a fractured business model where the academic side not only doesn’t care about outside activities but often actively tries to sabotage outside activities, Meanwhile, high level academic schools like Notre Dame, Stanford, etc. are schools with administrations that work together in all facets. I’m down here in South Georgia and the number of GT families that have morphed away from GT is just staggering and sad. All because their kids who are freaking high end students end up at UGA (now Bama lately with the amount of money they are throwing around in scholarships) because GT would rather take kids from out of state or out of country. I can see the day where the academic side drops the “Georgia“ from the name.
I had a friend of mine that was an avid Ugag fan but he said he also like GT. Come to find out, he graduated from GT with a degree in Construction Management.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't say GT would rather take kids from out of state when 60% of all acceptances HAVE to be in State. So theoretically 60% of the student body should be in state kids. Tech discriminates (is pickier) when it comes to out of state students. Also any great student in the world who wants to major in STEM related field has Tech on their radar because academically we truly are an elite institution (note correct use of the term:)). Our football program doesn't suck because we have out of state students.

Best of luck to CTC too bad we couldn't have used some of that excess 40 million from the campaign to counter offer. Hope to see him back some day on the Flats!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't say GT would rather take kids from out of state when 60% of all acceptances HAVE to be in State. So theoretically 60% of the student body should be in state kids. Tech discriminates (is pickier) when it comes to out of state students. Also any great student in the world who wants to major in STEM related field has Tech on their radar because academically we truly are an elite institution (note correct use of the term:)). Our football program doesn't suck because we have out of state students.

Best of luck to CTC too bad we couldn't have used some of that excess 40 million from the campaign to counter offer. Hope to see him back some day on the Flats!
Agreed. And Bama is doing their best to attract more out of state students (they offered me a pretty sweet deal just to be a student, and I was far from being a valedictorian or anything), so I’m not sure there’s much of a correlation.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are all watching what a program’s destruction looks like because of 1 bad hire, not fixing it immediately etc.

All because of recruiting.

Lets look at his great recruiting. Its so great the top 2 of 3 rbs were cpjs. The backup qb was. 2-3 OL were. 3 dl were. 2 lb were. 3 of 4/5 in the secondary were.

Where is this great recruiting when we were so bad before that the great recruiting in 3 years couldn’t displace the “terrible” prior recruits

Even that reputation is laughable. He isnt a great anything. Sinking with the ship he and bumble head stansbury.

Everyone is jumping ship. They know he is a dead man walking and collins has zero chance to turn it around. They see it

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
sad homer simpson GIF

This has nothing to do with the CTC thread, just seemed like a good time for an elite humor break....

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You are all watching what a program’s destruction looks like because of 1 bad hire, not fixing it immediately etc.

All because of recruiting.

Lets look at his great recruiting. Its so great the top 2 of 3 rbs were cpjs. The backup qb was. 2-3 OL were. 3 dl were. 2 lb were. 3 of 4/5 in the secondary were.

Where is this great recruiting when we were so bad before that the great recruiting in 3 years couldn’t displace the “terrible” prior recruits

Even that reputation is laughable. He isnt a great anything. Sinking with the ship he and bumble head stansbury.

Everyone is jumping ship. They know he is a dead man walking and collins has zero chance to turn it around. They see it
I think some will counter that the team is still young, but I would say, what about the awesome transfers we kept hearing about? If all these recruits are so much better than what we have seen recently, why are the results so poor?
Another note, guys who go to the NFL early are usually the guys who make the top significant recruiting classes. How many from Collins guys look to enter the NFL early next year?

I tend to side with you that recruiting really hasn't been that much better. It's also much more difficult to distinguish between the 25th recruiting class vs the 45th. Crack the top 15, and you're in the next level recruiting wise. As it is, the argument could certainly be made that there is not significant recruiting improvement.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
None of Collins recruits have improved
Yea Gibbs was so bad he’s headed to Bama where talent goes to die.

Some of y’all are so blinded by ignorant hate that you just say dumb stuff and hope nobody will notice.

Ivey, Williams, Franklin (started end of year as a true freshman, Sims, Tatum, Paula V just to name a few.

As I’ve said to several other blind haters, there’s plenty to be mad about (I’m as frustrated as I’ve been in a long time), but making stuff up just makes you look ridiculous and nobody will take you seriously.

Maybe that’s what you’re going for. More than likely it’s the dopamine hit from getting a like on your post from the echo chamber that will like anything bashing Collins.

I’ll add that I’m on record as hoping we’d make CTC head coach and move Collins to DC and recruiting coordinator before any of the moves were made. Don’t know if Choice is ready to be a head coach, but I trust his leadership more than Collins. I’m still not going to make up things to bash a guy who has plenty of things to critique.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think some will counter that the team is still young, but I would say, what about the awesome transfers we kept hearing about? If all these recruits are so much better than what we have seen recently, why are the results so poor?
Another note, guys who go to the NFL early are usually the guys who make the top significant recruiting classes. How many from Collins guys look to enter the NFL early next year?

I tend to side with you that recruiting really hasn't been that much better. It's also much more difficult to distinguish between the 25th recruiting class vs the 45th. Crack the top 15, and you're in the next level recruiting wise. As it is, the argument could certainly be made that there is not significant recruiting improvement.
the recruiting has improved a lot. to deny that is kinda being a hater for no reason. now what we actually do with that talent is completely fair to criticize and no one can call that acceptable lol

we just have to start recruiting well on the line and getting transfers there. as of right now the difference in the skill guys is night and day

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This post couldn't be more wrong on so many levels.
You can have your opinion but I see it up close. Our local GT alumni club has died because there is no new blood. UGA’s club is thriving because they not only keep their alumni in the family but bring in new ones. Bobby Dodd crowds will become smaller and smaller as we create alumni with zero ties to the state of Georgia and have zero intention of staying here. I’ve posted several examples of my sons freshmen dorm across from the stadium where most could care less about american football. GT is in no way a unified college. Football could go away tomorrow and you’d here cheers on campus from the faculty. We are doing this to ourselves and getting the results many on the academic side want. And yet we wonder why the money isn’t poring in. When you take a kid from another coI try instead of a 2nd or 3rd generation GT family you shouldn’t be shocked when the money stops.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You can have your opinion but I see it up close. Our local GT alumni club has died because there is no new blood. UGA’s club is thriving because they not only keep their alumni in the family but bring in new ones. Bobby Dodd crowds will become smaller and smaller as we create alumni with zero ties to the state of Georgia and have zero intention of staying here. I’ve posted several examples of my sons freshmen dorm across from the stadium where most could care less about american football. GT is in no way a unified college. Football could go away tomorrow and you’d here cheers on campus from the faculty. We are doing this to ourselves and getting the results many on the academic side want. And yet we wonder why the money isn’t poring in. When you take a kid from another coI try instead of a 2nd or 3rd generation GT family you shouldn’t be shocked when the money stops.
You don't think 3 years of 3 wins has anything to do with low fans at the games and fans in general?
Jesus you think foreign students don't like sports? We have interns/co-ops from Tech who grew up in Georgia and they think the program is a joke.
If you win, they will come.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
the recruiting has improved a lot. to deny that is kinda being a hater for no reason. now what we actually do with that talent is completely fair to criticize and no one can call that acceptable lol

we just have to start recruiting well on the line and getting transfers there. as of right now the difference in the skill guys is night and day
He was recruiting on a vision for the future. Now he has to recruit with a past.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I gotta feeling he’s gonna kill it out there. He’ll have access to damn near unlimited talent and resources, and will be learning from one of the best offensive minds in the game. I think he truly does love Atlanta and GT, and wants to see GT football prosper, but this is an opportunity too good to pass up career wise. Best case scenario for both parties IMO opinion is that he puts together a few solid years out west, gets a job as an OC at a lower tier school, and then comes home to Tech as our OC. If he wants to he could probably work his way up to be a head coach somewhere. He’s got great energy and is a natural leader, and obviously a good recruiter. At 37 he’s still relatively young. A lot of head coaches get their first opportunity at ~45. So maybe there’s a timeline where he comes home for good? Another couple years with RBs, and then a few as an OC, who knows what might happen.

Really, if Choice were to set Tech as his destination job, him going out west for a few years might be beneficial. It would open up avenues for building relationships out there for recruiting purposes, and he already has Texas connections. With strong relations in California, Texas, and Georgia somebody could really tear up the recruiting scene. I think he definitely will at USC.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I gotta feeling he’s gonna kill it out there. He’ll have access to damn near unlimited talent and resources, and will be learning from one of the best offensive minds in the game. I think he truly does love Atlanta and GT, and wants to see GT football prosper, but this is an opportunity too good to pass up career wise. Best case scenario for both parties IMO opinion is that he puts together a few solid years out west, gets a job as an OC at a lower tier school, and then comes home to Tech as our OC. If he wants to he could probably work his way up to be a head coach somewhere. He’s got great energy and is a natural leader, and obviously a good recruiter. At 37 he’s still relatively young. A lot of head coaches get their first opportunity at ~45. So maybe there’s a timeline where he comes home for good? Another couple years with RBs, and then a few as an OC, who knows what might happen.

Really, if Choice were to set Tech as his destination job, him going out west for a few years might be beneficial. It would open up avenues for building relationships out there for recruiting purposes, and he already has Texas connections. With strong relations in California, Texas, and Georgia somebody could really tear up the recruiting scene. I think he definitely will at USC.
Agreed. He is building his options.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Just listened to today’s “Locked on GA Tech” podcast. Bryce said that CTC leaving was a “big black mark on the Collins era.”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yea Gibbs was so bad he’s headed to Bama where talent goes to die.

Some of y’all are so blinded by ignorant hate that you just say dumb stuff and hope nobody will notice.

Ivey, Williams, Franklin (started end of year as a true freshman, Sims, Tatum, Paula V just to name a few.

As I’ve said to several other blind haters, there’s plenty to be mad about (I’m as frustrated as I’ve been in a long time), but making stuff up just makes you look ridiculous and nobody will take you seriously.

Maybe that’s what you’re going for. More than likely it’s the dopamine hit from getting a like on your post from the echo chamber that will like anything bashing Collins.

I’ll add that I’m on record as hoping we’d make CTC head coach and move Collins to DC and recruiting coordinator before any of the moves were made. Don’t know if Choice is ready to be a head coach, but I trust his leadership more than Collins. I’m still not going to make up things to bash a guy who has plenty of things to critique.
Yes, there's going to be some improvement just as players age. Collins, on the other hand, hasn't improved one whit.
There's no escaping the fact that this team is less than the sum of its parts.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, there's going to be some improvement just as players age. Collins, on the other hand, hasn't improved one whit.
There's no escaping the fact that this team is less than the sum of its parts.
Oh I agree.

I was hopeful when Collins came in we would have much improved recruiting and great defenses.

Recruiting has improved, but the defense has regressed (which I didn’t think was possible).

Losing Choice and Gibbs really hurt.

He’s going to need to win at least 6 games next year to have any chance of sticking around.

The thing is I don’t want him to just stick around. I’d like for something to be building. I just don’t have confidence he can do it (hope I’m wrong)

Feels like we’re in a weird spot. I’ll never pull for GT to lose so I’m hoping between the Long hire, rumors of Collins taking over the D, some solid transfers on the LOS, and another year of improvement in Sims we take a massive leap next year.

I’m sick of being bad.