Where do we go from here?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
The night we lose in the ACC tourney, M-Bob needs to CAMP OUT at Greg Marshall's house.

backyard-campout.jpg

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
While I certainly think Marshall is the best candidate. I also think he is also one of the most unlikely.

Michael White, for no real reason other than a gut feeling, seems like the most likely. I question his recruiting, but I do like what he has done with LT. He plays an up tempo style which I always like. Especially on defense. He would be in my top 5 options but Marshall is #1.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
While I certainly think Marshall is the best candidate. I also think he is also one of the most unlikely.

Michael White, for no real reason other than a gut feeling, seems like the most likely. I question his recruiting, but I do like what he has done with LT. He plays an up tempo style which I always like. Especially on defense. He would be in my top 5 options but Marshall is #1.
Agree with this completely. Marshall is a long shot to come here. I’ve wanted Michael White since last year and while I do question his recruiting, that may be the very reason that gives us a good chance at him instead of him making the leap to Indiana.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I know GT has too much class to fire a guy mid season, but firing this guy is warranted.
28pts total setting an ACC Alltime low !!
He should be ashamed to show his face. He's the worse offensive coach I've ever seen.

Let me remind you 2 other respectable teams have scored less points this season against UVA. Embarrassing loss? Yes. But let's not blow things out of proportion

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I question his recruiting
I’ve wanted Michael White since last year and while I do question his recruiting

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about Michael White other than he's got LT back on the map, but per Wikipedia:

"White was very well known in the recruiting circles nationwide, especially in the Southern region of the country. He helped Ole Miss land three recruiting classes ranked in the Top 25 in the country by numerous recruiting publications, including the 2005 class that was ranked as high as No. 7 by Hoop Scoop."

All this said, I would be happy with the hire

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Did you just quote Wikipedia for reference, and say not to blow a 28 point offensive output out of proportion by comparing us to an Ivy League school and Rutgers ?

That in itself should tell you where we are at as a program.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Did you just quote Wikipedia for reference, and say not to blow a 28 point offensive output out of proportion by comparing us to an Ivy League school and Rutgers ?

That in itself should tell you where we are at as a program.

I was looking at Wikipedia to see his history and saw that quote. Obviously, it's Wikipedia so it should be taken with a grain of salt, but whoever wrote that seems to think he's a good recruiter

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm sad, or as @Eric would say, said, that we've arrived at the point in our basketball program where comparisons to Rutgers and Harvard aren't embarrassing. :)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't think that he'll ever "need" a job. To get a great coach, I think we'll want him to think of GT as home

This is my only worry with M. White. I just have a gut feeling that he wants to end up at Duke. This is based on nothing other than my ridiculous logic.

Some other names that have me curious are Pitino's kid (won't be at MN long) and Ed Cooley (Providence).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of thoughts.

If you want Marshall (who has been my first choice for more than 5 years), it will take a supreme effort and even then I would consider it unlikely.
IMO what you need to do is go to him immediately after his season ended and have everything layed out. # years, salary (probably have to start at $3MM yr - doubt he would consider much less than that), your vision for the future of the program, how you see him fitting in.

Then you let him make a decision.

In general, you need to have one big name guy that you think is interested (whether it be Marshall, Smart, Wright, whoever) you go to them with the full package ready to go. Then wait for the decision. If they say yes you get to move, if not, you then immediately go to the next group of coaches on your list. You can't have more than 1 big name - it takes too much time and then the solid 2nd choice guys take other offers before you get to talk to them. You will only get a chance at 1 A-list guy, so you have to know who you want and be ready to move.

I also wanted to comment on type of play that has been brought up here. I'm not sure you want a team that plays 'fast'. It works the same in basketball as in football. If you look at the teams that have a high tempo it includes UNC, Duke, L'ville. Teams that are loaded with McD's and high 4-stars. UVA is the second slowest tempo team in Div 1 basketball. ND is a slow team, Miami is a low tempo team. NC ST is in the middle. Generally the more talent you have the faster you play in order to create more possessions. I don't think GT has to play as slow as UVA or ND, but it shouldn't be looking to run a fast tempo like UNC or Duke either.

FWIW, Marshall runs a very slow tempo. His numbers are pretty similar to UVA.

A couple of coaching thoughts. I have a list, but will refrain from talking about it until Feb when it should become apparent if Gregory is going to not return.
White's father is Duke's AD. White is on my list, but probably not in my top 3.
Josh Pastner is basically the white Paul Hewitt. Recruits really well, team plays fast and undisciplined.

RamblinRed