Where do we go from here?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This really is a setback of huge proportions.Unless Key can rally these guys to 5 wins somehow and/or beating Clem or uga, this will be a dead season for recruiting I'm afraid.We have to show advancement and a future by NOT showing ineptitude.bad planning and poor effort in losses like this--arguably one of the worst in last 30 yrs.
I think as a loss this one is certainly not "one of the worst in 30 years" or anywhere near it. Bowling Green went to Michigan and lost by 25 points. Do we imagine that if Tech went to Michigan the Jackets would likely hold the margin under 25? They lost to Liberty by 10. Liberty's 4-0 and BG gave them their closest game. Bowling Green was coming off a bad game, but that only increased the likelihood they would play better on Saturday. Seems the fans as well as the team underestimated the Falcons. Tech should have beaten them, but this was no gimme game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There’s no way to prove this one way or the other. This just comes off as emotional posting. The years I’m lucky enough to splurge extra on GTAA than usual, I’m even more upset when we lose because I feel like( and technically do) i have more skin in the game. Most likely the negative voices are a mixture of serious supporters and those who are not, just like the positive voices.

The crowd was pathetic yesterday, but we are talking about BOWLING GREEN. There’s no excuse. None.

We haven’t had a winning season since 2018. Our fans can “do better”, but at some point the program has to give people a reason to be a fan to begin with. I haven’t seen anything worth rooting for in half a decade. Our brightest spot the last few years is known more as an Alabama running back than our guy. Why SHOULD we as fans support the program? Hell, the last time our program had a great season, our dumbass major doners wouldn’t double down on that success because the coach ran an offense they didn’t like. They clearly don’t care about winning. They care more about perception. Maybe the program should prove they care before they expect others to care. I’m sick of this ****.

I'll just leave it at this. When we have roll call for the games, most of the usual Negative Nancies are usually missing. Doesn't mean anything definitive (I don't post either in those and I have 2 season tickets...down from 4 when by non-GT buddies use to go with me), and it's all 100% circumstantial, but you have to admit how pathetically regular some "fans" are about disappearing during wins, but sure as sh!t come out of the woodwork during losses.

You're 100% right, though. Our admins also need to do better...and so do some of our high level donors whose money comes with strings attached (see: Brent Key hire). I've had the same discussions with a lot of my friends I went to GT with. Expecting fan support when you do the minimum is a recipe for failure. I don't blame some fans for not wanting to renew season tickets or donating...however, if you're going to come at the program with pitchforks and a torch, it's probably better to spend that the pitchfork and torch money on giving to the program.

I'll end with this: This is a different regime. Better GT President, better GT AD. I'm lucky enough to know someone who gives GTAA a LOT of money, and I hear stories of how different this AD and President are from past ones. We are going in the right direction, even if the results from yesterday says otherwise. Batt put two HFC candidates in front of the board that I think would have been homerun hires for GT, that play exciting football, but some donor funding got pulled because some of the "old guard" wanted their guy. Batt and Cabrera can only do so much...sometimes some of our own people get in the way.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I'll just leave it at this. When we have roll call for the games, most of the usual Negative Nancies are usually missing. Doesn't mean anything definitive (I don't post either in those and I have 2 season tickets...down from 4 when by non-GT buddies use to go with me), and it's all 100% circumstantial, but you have to admit how pathetically regular some "fans" are about disappearing during wins, but sure as sh!t come out of the woodwork during losses.

You're 100% right, though. Our admins also need to do better...and so do some of our high level donors whose money comes with strings attached (see: Brent Key hire). I've had the same discussions with a lot of my friends I went to GT with. Expecting fan support when you do the minimum is a recipe for failure. I don't blame some fans for not wanting to renew season tickets or donating...however, if you're going to come at the program with pitchforks and a torch, it's probably better to spend that the pitchfork and torch money on giving to the program.

I'll end with this: This is a different regime. Better GT President, better GT AD. I'm lucky enough to know someone who gives GTAA a LOT of money, and I hear stories of how different this AD and President are from past ones. We are going in the right direction, even if the results from yesterday says otherwise. Batt put two HFC candidates in front of the board that I think would have been homerun hires for GT, that play exciting football, but some donor funding got pulled because some of the "old guard" wanted their guy. Batt and Cabrera can only do so much...sometimes some of our own people get in the way.
Who were these two HFC candidates? I want to torture myself with dreams of what could've been

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a lame and lazy take. The fans had nothing to do with the coaching staff and players taking BG lightly and not executing. This is just stupid blame shifting.

Also, the fans were plenty loud and in the game when we were up 14-0, so the whole premise of your argument is wrong.
I was there also cheering along most of the others around me. Agree strongly with this post. Defensive staff just realined by Key.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I agree with most of your response, but I still disagree with the bolded. Nothing drives discussions more than conflict. It’s the same reason why news has the motto “if it bleeds, it leads”. Humans naturally are going to vent and say more when things are bad then when they are good. There’s only so much to discuss around “wow we looked good today. Great win”. Every sports related forum I have ever been a part of has had way more traffic after losses than wins. It’s human nature, not a sign of bad fans.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s no way to prove this one way or the other. This just comes off as emotional posting. The years I’m lucky enough to splurge extra on GTAA than usual, I’m even more upset when we lose because I feel like( and technically do) i have more skin in the game. Most likely the negative voices are a mixture of serious supporters and those who are not, just like the positive voices.

The crowd was pathetic yesterday, but we are talking about BOWLING GREEN. There’s no excuse. None.

We haven’t had a winning season since 2018. Our fans can “do better”, but at some point the program has to give people a reason to be a fan to begin with. I haven’t seen anything worth rooting for in half a decade. Our brightest spot the last few years is known more as an Alabama running back than our guy. Why SHOULD we as fans support the program? Hell, the last time our program had a great season, our dumbass major doners wouldn’t double down on that success because the coach ran an offense they didn’t like. They clearly don’t care about winning. They care more about perception. Maybe the program should prove they care before they expect others to care. I’m sick of this ****.
I think our major doners want to win, but feel like they have the most skin in the game and want to control. Someway J Batt needs to gain more power over the doners. Success with the men's basketball program may help.

Meanwhile let's all pull for Brent Key to get this program back on its feet. Go Jackets

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You've missed the point of that post. It has NOTHING to do with the game yesterday. It has to do with the incongruity of what our fans expect versus their commitment.

I can pretty much guarantee that most of the negative posters on here barely give to program or attend games, but love to trash the team and our program after we lose games. That's their choice, and no one should feel obligated to give to the GTAA...but it's 100% hypocritical to want high level results but not contribute towards that end.

I watched the game at a bar in NC, and the first thing someone said was "Why is your stadium so empty?!" I had ZERO replies to that and just shrugged my shoulders.
You have no idea who spends and does not.

Regardless, the disparity between the expectation of fans and how much they give is not something that will be solved by blaming fans. The fans will come to the games and give when the results are not so consistently poor.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The fans are not the problem. Our fans showed up yesterday. That is who we are. Getting mad at empty seats is just ridiculous. Our fanbase is eroding away due to 5 years of absolute inept football. I was actually impressed with the number of fans who showed up. After what we have been forced to watch, the team and coaches should be thrilled that more than 500 show up week to week. Those of you who think we are 40-50,000 strong are not living in reality.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I have come to understand very few of our fans actually know how the finances of college football truly work.
I’ll admit I have no clue, that stuff is way above my head. I’m just a football fan that loves Ga Tech and Penn State. I try and stick with football if I get into the Ga Tech administration stuff and spelling contest I’ll make a fool out of myself 😂

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know. The two teams who climbed out the gutter I’m most familiar with are Tennessee (under Butch Jones) and Alabama, before Saban (Mike Shula). Both turned the corner …

Tennessee totally flipped the roster and demanded big boy football. Players were shown the door if they didn’t buy in. Saban brought in a 364 day a year, disciple to the game and Kirby has used since.

But the BIGGEST change to both programs was professionalizing athletics. Push the big donors out of decision-making, and while welcoming their money, limit participation to experienced folks. Alabama’s program bears no resemble to the good ol boy program of 2006.

There‘s not a lot new. Dodd wrote extensively how to play football at Tech. Keep the score close and win it in the fourth (I.e., limit the number of possessions, plays, and try for a low scoring game.) Why? We didn’t have the athletes. we didn’t then. We don’t now.

A high school coach and former D1 standout said it even simpler. “If you don’t have an O-Line or a D-Line, the game becomes very, very hard.”

As I watch Tech today, it’s like a company without a business model. Lots of people working hard, but not together. And nobody knows what they are supposed to do.

Coffee rant.
Big difference between Tennessee and Alabama, on one hand, and Tech. They had 90K plus in the stands even in bad seasons to impress recruits. We have the almost competely empty upper East stands which has the look of a crowd for a spring practice. Much harder to impress recruits. By the way, I watched as 20 per so recruits were ushered into the lower west stands to watch the game yesterday. They must have been pretty underwhelmed by the empty stands across the field. Pretty hard for Key to entice them to come to Tech against these other schools.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think as a loss this one is certainly not "one of the worst in 30 years" or anywhere near it. Bowling Green went to Michigan and lost by 25 points. Do we imagine that if Tech went to Michigan the Jackets would likely hold the margin under 25? They lost to Liberty by 10. Liberty's 4-0 and BG gave them their closest game. Bowling Green was coming off a bad game, but that only increased the likelihood they would play better on Saturday. Seems the fans as well as the team underestimated the Falcons. Tech should have beaten them, but this was no gimme game.
Lol. Are you trolling everyone? This was ABSOLUTELY a gimme game. That's why we paid them 1.1 million dollars for the f'ing pleasure.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m worried about the future. I really thought we had turned a corner and then yesterday happens. We probably lost a lot of the fans we had left, and likely a bunch of the ‘24 recruits as well. Will we ever be good again? I have faith in Key but I’m worried… asking for a friend.
You really don’t understand how bad Collins did GT. I thought Bill Lewis was the
worst...... I would at least let Lewis coach DBs, Collins shouldn’t be allowed to be a locker room attendant.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
thats interesting because none of the public names hires were exciting, so I must be missing something LOL
well since that's entirely subjective...

Of the 3 most talked about potential hires, one is 4-0 and beat Bowling Green, one is 4-1 with a 17 point loss to Ole Miss who they lead at the half and were tied with going into the 4th quarter despite starting the 2nd string qb, and one is 2-3 with a 11 point loss to Bowling Green and a 25 point loss to Ole Miss, although they were within a touchdown in the 4th quarter. The first coach's team has a talent composite ranking of 123, second is ranked 71, and 3rd is ranked 36. Bowling Green and Ole Miss are 111 and 23 for reference.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You have no idea who spends and does not.

Regardless, the disparity between the expectation of fans and how much they give is not something that will be solved by blaming fans. The fans will come to the games and give when the results are not so consistently poor.
So we win first, then the donations and tickets sales come. Oh, withhold those till we show long term sucess. The coaches and players are paid as much as they can negotiate.

Somehow we need to show some increase in $ so we can compete. Note Pennstate Budget 180m, Gt budget 100m..

But taking the side of beibg mad at BG loss- BG budget 25m. After that game Key has to show something besides strong talk.