Where do we go from here?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Can we bring back DeMo to fire up this team. There was no fire against BG. The team needs to have desire to play for something other than just to win a game. I have to admire what Duke has done. Those kids played their butts off against a far more talented Notre Dame team and had a chance to win it. Does Duke really have better players than us? I think about the same overall. They are playing with desire and will to win. We need it.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I’m worried about the future. I really thought we had turned a corner and then yesterday happens. We probably lost a lot of the fans we had left, and likely a bunch of the ‘24 recruits as well. Will we ever be good again? I have faith in Key but I’m worried… asking for a friend.
If we are losing with talented athletes who just do t care, I would just as soon field a freshman team so they can show some enthusiasm. At least, when we lose, we won’t be complaining about lack of effort

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Fans have nothing to do with the loss yesterday. That was the coaches and players. Fans will support the team when the team stops losing games to crappy teams like BG.
Yes and no. The fans were as sleepy as the players were yesterday. This is an emotions and energy driven game and, as you saw yesterday, the less talented team can win if they have those in their favor. The fans never really gave the team the juice they needed to wake up at any point yesterday between the poor attendance and dead silent defensive possessions. Yesterday's loss was a total program failure from top to bottom.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes and no. The fans were as sleepy as the players were yesterday. This is an emotions and energy driven game and, as you saw yesterday, the less talented team can win if they have those in their favor. The fans never really gave the team the juice they needed to wake up at any point yesterday between the poor attendance and dead silent defensive possessions. Yesterday's loss was a total program failure from top to bottom.
This is a lame and lazy take. The fans had nothing to do with the coaching staff and players taking BG lightly and not executing. This is just stupid blame shifting.

Also, the fans were plenty loud and in the game when we were up 14-0, so the whole premise of your argument is wrong.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Can we bring back DeMo to fire up this team. There was no fire against BG. The team needs to have desire to play for something other than just to win a game. I have to admire what Duke has done. Those kids played their butts off against a far more talented Notre Dame team and had a chance to win it. Does Duke really have better players than us? I think about the same overall. They are playing with desire and will to win. We need it.
No fire? I stopped reading after that. If you were at The Dodd when it was 14-0, that place was rocking and the players were (over)confident. D Mo leaving for a sweet state job after volunteering here wouldn't have provided 1 shred of difference in the game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Where the Jackets go from here is to beat Miami.

Saturday night we find out what these Jackets are made of, and I have a feeling we're going to see their best effort and give the Hurricanes a fight.
It is not unusual to see a rebound in college football. The bettor who wagers based on a team's previous game is in the long run loses more than he gains. He who goes against the grain comes out ahead. There is an ebb and flow to the emotions of this game, and Miami is set up for a trap game. They'll have two weeks to digest the press clippings touting their 4-0 record and a place in the top 20. Meanwhile our coach is going to be questioning his players' manhoods. So next week we find out if these Jackets are men or mice. As for me, I'm going to take the +19, but I won't go so far as to take the money line. I do however believe it will be a close game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've for a long time believed the Jackets have a tendency to play better on the road than at home, for just the reason you mention.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
We heard from Moala yesterday - they overlooked BGSU and were already mentally onto Miami. It was an ANOMALY. That's disappointing and falls on Coach Key's shoulders but it's a good learning experience and I suspect a completely different Georgia Tech team shows up in Miami next weekend. I doubt we're overlooking them. I'm still hopeful.
I think that is an excuse for an explanation. If that was the case why didn't you come out after half time and out physical them, out tough them, blow them off the ball on offense and defense and win the damn game!!

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Our sidelines looked like a funeral was taking place not a football game!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s not the fans’ job to have the team fired up and ready to play. That’s on the coaches and the players themselves. When you’ve consistently laid eggs against weaker opponents for the last 5+ years, there’s no excuse not to show up ready to play. Especially not when you go up 14-0 in the 1st. Bowling Green scored 38 unanswered points. That is UNACCEPTABLE for most teams in the MAC, much less a “P5” team. We’re in the ACC trying to make a point to not get left behind in further conference realignment, there is zero excuse to not win games like this. The fans have a right to not show up and watch that bull****.

Since 2018 we’ve lost to USF, The Citadel, UCF 2 times, Northern Illinois, and now Bowling Green. 6 losses to FCS and G5 teams in the last 5 years. No amount of crowd energy or “juice” is going to correct that. I’m a little concerned now we’re gonna **** around and lose to Georgia State next year.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
We heard from Moala yesterday - they overlooked BGSU and were already mentally onto Miami. It was an ANOMALY. That's disappointing and falls on Coach Key's shoulders but it's a good learning experience and I suspect a completely different Georgia Tech team shows up in Miami next weekend. I doubt we're overlooking them. I'm still hopeful.
It may be an anomaly for new players, but we've "overlooked" quite a few teams in the last 5 years. When you eek out 3 wins a year for several years in a row, you ARE the cupcake. That's what we are now. The players overlooking opponents only tells me that the coaching staff overlooked them. Or the coaches allowed it. Either way, accountability is now in order.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, some people on here have been waiting for a performance like this to spew their hot takes that Brent Key isn't the right coach for the job, or that our admins made a poor decision. This isn't any different than when Gailey was losing games he shouldn't, or CPJ was losing (remember MTSU?!), or the entirety of the Collins era. This performance is typical of GT....lose a game we shouldn't, win a game we shouldn't.

Progress is rarely a straight line with a consistent trajectory going up. It's like the S&P 500. There will be dips (and this is a BIG dip), and there will be highs. There is ZERO excuse for this. Not in recruiting and talent...according to 247, the talent composite for GT is 36 while BG's is 111. 7+ tier of talent difference. Absolutely unacceptable. We have far more resources than BG. We were playing at home. We got a rid of guy because we would go into games like this nervous about getting embarrassed. This is not what we hired Key for...and he knows it. You know what? This team has more resources than we've ever had. We have extremely talented guys committed to our current recruiting class at important positions. We finally have institutional alignment with a President who is pushing our athletics programs at the level of our academics. There is much more good going on with our program than negative.

There's too much chicken little syndrome going on. No way we should have lost this game from any vantage point, but there's 7 games left to play. If we beat Miami next week, what will the Nancy Negatives say next week? Let's see what happens by the end of the season. To make a proclamation that the fate of this team is sealed is ridiculous and something that people who can't be happy for any reason would push anyhow.

I'm pretty angry with how the team looked against BG, but GT still has a lot of games to play, and a LOT of things going for us.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m worried about the future. I really thought we had turned a corner and then yesterday happens. We probably lost a lot of the fans we had left, and likely a bunch of the ‘24 recruits as well. Will we ever be good again? I have faith in Key but I’m worried… asking for a friend.
We keep doing what we’ve been doing the last 13 games until we recruit the studs we need on defense. If y’all watched the urban Meyer interview that I put on here he explained everything perfectly. Urban knows his stuff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fans have nothing to do with the loss yesterday. That was the coaches and players. Fans will support the team when the team stops losing games to crappy teams like BG.

You've missed the point of that post. It has NOTHING to do with the game yesterday. It has to do with the incongruity of what our fans expect versus their commitment.

I can pretty much guarantee that most of the negative posters on here barely give to program or attend games, but love to trash the team and our program after we lose games. That's their choice, and no one should feel obligated to give to the GTAA...but it's 100% hypocritical to want high level results but not contribute towards that end.

I watched the game at a bar in NC, and the first thing someone said was "Why is your stadium so empty?!" I had ZERO replies to that and just shrugged my shoulders.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
High level results? Is winning 4 games against mid level to bottom level ACC teams and the 2 teams we pay a million bucks to take a loss high level? All we want are 6 wins, not high level results. Get to 6 then bash the fans for not spending.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can pretty much guarantee that most of the negative posters on here barely give to program or attend games, but love to trash the team and our program after we lose games. That's their choice, and no one should feel obligated to give to the GTAA...but it's 100% hypocritical to want high level results but not contribute towards that end.

There’s no way to prove this one way or the other. This just comes off as emotional posting. The years I’m lucky enough to splurge extra on GTAA than usual, I’m even more upset when we lose because I feel like( and technically do) i have more skin in the game. Most likely the negative voices are a mixture of serious supporters and those who are not, just like the positive voices.

The crowd was pathetic yesterday, but we are talking about BOWLING GREEN. There’s no excuse. None.

We haven’t had a winning season since 2018. Our fans can “do better”, but at some point the program has to give people a reason to be a fan to begin with. I haven’t seen anything worth rooting for in half a decade. Our brightest spot the last few years is known more as an Alabama running back than our guy. Why SHOULD we as fans support the program? Hell, the last time our program had a great season, our dumbass major doners wouldn’t double down on that success because the coach ran an offense they didn’t like. They clearly don’t care about winning. They care more about perception. Maybe the program should prove they care before they expect others to care. I’m sick of this ****.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You've missed the point of that post. It has NOTHING to do with the game yesterday. It has to do with the incongruity of what our fans expect versus their commitment.

I watched the game at a bar in NC, and the first thing someone said was "Why is your stadium so empty?!" I had ZERO replies to that and just shrugged my shoulders.
Duke had College Gameday on campus. Undefeated, ranked #19, hosting #10 Notre Dame with a 7:30pm kickoff. There were still noticeably empty seats from the overhead shots of their 40,000 seat stadium, yet somehow they had a lead in the final minute of the game against one of the elite teams in college football.

The fans are so far down on the list of priorities with this program they’re barely even worth mentioning. If the players, and the coaches, and the staff, and the faculty want fans to show up and show out; don’t lose to ****ing Bowling Green

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This really is a setback of huge proportions.Unless Key can rally these guys to 5 wins somehow and/or beating Clem or uga, this will be a dead season for recruiting I'm afraid.We have to show advancement and a future by NOT showing ineptitude.bad planning and poor effort in losses like this--arguably one of the worst in last 30 yrs.