Where do we go from here?

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm with you. I no longer have any emotion when I watch GT football. I used to get angry, concerned, etc., but now the only thing I feel is surprised if we win. The only thing CGC has given us is some really bad, record setting defeats. I'm currently watching a well coached Wake Forest team and think about the "What If" questions three years ago. I was going to go to the BC game but now I think I'll just go to the GT basketball game on Friday and spend Saturday just walking around the campus, which I haven't been to in 20 years. At least I'll get some enjoyment from it.
We have other sports to follow. This football program is not worth much effort to follow. No quick fix. Can't afford to fire or to keep Collins.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury needs to come out and make a statement on the football program in public and needs to tell us how’s he going to fix it to maybe give the fan bace hope. This is not acceptable how we are playing!! I can see if we are improving but I see us regressing.
No. TStan will put on his robe, grab a brandy, and walk up and down the hallways at Edge, looking at pictures of Heisman, Alexander and Dodd asking ... “What do you think fellas?”

slugboy

Staff member
CGC was the GT money men's choice. They are the ones that will have to pony up the money to make a change, but I don't see them doing that, as it means having to admit your mistake.
When a coach gets stuck underachieving, I’ve seen one of a couple of things happen:
1. In a big money program, they pay the $20 mil buyout (because they have a buyout that big) and rotate in a new coach
2. In Clemson’s example, they staff impressive OCs and DCs and other coaches to shore up the head coach. VT did that under Beamer with a DC. This is a friendly situation
3. If the AD has the right contacts, they bring in an “all but head coach” OC or DC, and the coach is in a “win or this guy replaces you” mode. This is a less friendly situation
4. In a Tommy Tuberville situation, he blames an assistant and fires them, but things don’t get better—he just shifts the blame
5. If it’s a “you’re mostly good, but there are 2 or 3 position coaches that aren’t pulling their weight”, and the AD or HC or both are smart, then a couple of those coaches get replaced
6. If you don’t have any ideas or cash, you buckle up and hope, hope, hope

The money men can pick from 2-5 and save face, but I’d be surprised if they picked 1. They might back off and leave Stansbury with option 6, but ADTS would probably try for 2, 3, or 5.

First we have to accept that Collins is here another 2 years, unless big donors come in to buy out his contract. Even then not sure we would get another good coach

Next , Tstan must force Collins to make changes to his approach and staff , especially on D.
We don't know what Collins says to the guys or staff behind closed doors, but he says it isn't as rosey as people think.

We have good talent, but fixes must be made

I don’t think you can do a wholesale changeout and turn things around unless there’s far more than the buyout ponied up. You also need money to attract someone new, and I don’t think that only money is as attractive as one might think. Other coaches surely look here and see “it wasn’t an easy rescue job for Collins, and there have to be easier places for me to achieve what I want”. I agree that it’s another year or two at least, and probably 2.
Stansbury’s ears must be burning. I’m sure the big donors were giving him heat at halftime of the Pitt game. Losing a homecoming game that you could and should win is bad.
I’m glad you mentioned “approach”, because you usually see a successful coach turning a program around by year two. Collins shouldn’t just “do a Tuberville” and buy cover by replacing staff; he needs to find and fix the problems he’s got.

LibertyTurns

Banned
From someone who talked to a member of the interview committee.
Interview committee talked to Whisenhunt. Knew during middle of the interview he wasn't the guy.
Talked to Collins next.
Now .. .want to know how many people made up the interview committee?
So what did Zelnak say?

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Granted, things look bleak right now. However, we are about a 7 point better team this year than we were last year and we were about a 7 point better team last year than the year before. I just can’t believe people don’t see what a hole we were in. We not only had to transition from the 3O, but had to rebuilt an absolutely terrible defense that was saved only by limited game possessions

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it would be a smart move to fire one or both coordinators. Ask those big money guys to pony up and hire one or both name brand coordinators. Usually, after the end of year head coach firings there are some available. A new coordinator does not guarantee improvement, but it would at least give the fan base some hope. As it is now, we are totally demoralized and do not see things getting better if nothing major changes.

Having said that, there are some games left. I am not expecting anything at this point, but improvement is still possible.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Guys. Where do we go from here? How do we as a team improve? We have talented players, and we are supposed to have great coaching. There’s been a lot to look forward to on a week by week basis and yet it seems we can never perform to the level we can or need to.

What do we do now? What is the light at the end of the tunnel?
We don't have great coaching

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stansbury has to do something to keep what little money he has coming in to re-up. Status quo will not accomplish that so my guess would be fire the coordinators. That will at least satisfy some of the donors. I'm not saying that is the right thing but at least one of them has to go and maybe both just to show that something is being done.
I think the team has talent deficiencies but not as bad as some might think. With some creativity we should be able to win a few games. Collins is a decent recruiter but doesn't appear capable of building a coaching staff and is not a coordinator himself. So Someone (Stansbury with help) needs to step in and hire him some coordinators for him who can scheme and teach better. My personal opinion would be definitely a new offense coordinator and jury is still out on defense. Defense has done some things but secondary play is not good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury has to do something to keep what little money he has coming in to re-up. Status quo will not accomplish that so my guess would be fire the coordinators. That will at least satisfy some of the donors. I'm not saying that is the right thing but at least one of them has to go and maybe both just to show that something is being done.
I think the team has talent deficiencies but not as bad as some might think. With some creativity we should be able to win a few games. Collins is a decent recruiter but doesn't appear capable of building a coaching staff and is not a coordinator himself. So Someone (Stansbury with help) needs to step in and hire him some coordinators for him who can scheme and teach better. My personal opinion would be definitely a new offense coordinator and jury is still out on defense. Defense has done some things but secondary play is not good.
I think you're being generous. Todd has never coached. He's always worked in administration. He reminds me of a one trick pony and is unable to adjust to the changing conditions in CFB. Granted, he might be a fantastic AD ... as long as you accept the fact that our best teams are basketball and golf. I personally think for the effort that is claimed that he puts in to football ... the results are mediocre at best.

Scubapro

Banned
When a coach gets stuck underachieving, I’ve seen one of a couple of things happen:
1. In a big money program, they pay the $20 mil buyout (because they have a buyout that big) and rotate in a new coach
2. In Clemson’s example, they staff impressive OCs and DCs and other coaches to shore up the head coach. VT did that under Beamer with a DC. This is a friendly situation
3. If the AD has the right contacts, they bring in an “all but head coach” OC or DC, and the coach is in a “win or this guy replaces you” mode. This is a less friendly situation
4. In a Tommy Tuberville situation, he blames an assistant and fires them, but things don’t get better—he just shifts the blame
5. If it’s a “you’re mostly good, but there are 2 or 3 position coaches that aren’t pulling their weight”, and the AD or HC or both are smart, then a couple of those coaches get replaced
6. If you don’t have any ideas or cash, you buckle up and hope, hope, hope

The money men can pick from 2-5 and save face, but I’d be surprised if they picked 1. They might back off and leave Stansbury with option 6, but ADTS would probably try for 2, 3, or 5.

I don’t think you can do a wholesale changeout and turn things around unless there’s far more than the buyout ponied up. You also need money to attract someone new, and I don’t think that only money is as attractive as one might think. Other coaches surely look here and see “it wasn’t an easy rescue job for Collins, and there have to be easier places for me to achieve what I want”. I agree that it’s another year or two at least, and probably 2.
Stansbury’s ears must be burning. I’m sure the big donors were giving him heat at halftime of the Pitt game. Losing a homecoming game that you could and should win is bad.
I’m glad you mentioned “approach”, because you usually see a successful coach turning a program around by year two. Collins shouldn’t just “do a Tuberville” and buy cover by replacing staff; he needs to find and fix the problems he’s got.
Where are your stats to make any of these statements? Isn't that what you said? You have to have stats to back up your opinion?
where are your numbers?

How bout this: 17 Points against VT

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I used to get angry
I generally have calmed down, but I got pissed today when he made that call to go in 4th with 11 min left down 6. It was a bad call for a number of reasons, but then the decision to just run straight at a defense that had stuffed you on two prior plays was just astonishing.