Where are we now?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The coastal will be garbage again next year and will remain so until coaching changes at VT and Miami. Pitt, UVA, and Duke have hit their ceiling. Mack Brown is a has-been who will fail.

Why have they hit their ceiling? Why couldn't UVA return to national prominence like they were in the late 80's and early 90's? Pitt has more NCs than we do. Duke has committed to spending money on football. What limits them to their current level of success that's different somehow for us? I just don't get this line of thought.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Where we stand

- On defense we've had a decade of poor play and I think it's likely we have another change of DCs. A big part of how smooth this transition is will be based on how much of an immediate benefit Collins can be on that side of the ball. If we keep Woody then that may be a positive sign that we can improve quickly on that side but I get the feeling that we'll be switching DCs and so we'll have to wait and see. Changing defenses isn't quite as big as changing offenses in terms of time to prepare, but I still expect to retain some of the issues we've had for at least the first year or two.

- On offense we're almost certainly going away from the TO. How far away will likely determine how bumpy it is. We have some pieces that could help. Between Johnson, Graham, and Yates we should have a QB that will perform well with good development. We have some good RBs to compliment them. Even our WRs I think should be servicable to transition while we hopefully recruit more that fit. That being said I think some people really underestimate how likely it is we will struggle on blocking next year and probably the year after. We were not an overly well coached OL team and that was especially true when it came to pass pro. I expect us to be run heavy for the next year or two regardless of what offense we go simply because I don't expect our pass blocking to be that much better quickly.

-Overall, a big reason for this hire was the recruiting aspect and unfortunately that, by nature, is a thing that takes time to produce. I think there is enough to avoid a complete rebuild but there is a good deal of work to be done in all aspects.

Good post. I’m mostly worried about WR on O. Camp could be a pretty nasty TE target.

If our OL coaching has been as bad as many think. And some of what transpired this year makes me tend to suspect that may actually have been more true than I’d previously thought....we might see marked improvement in OL play and maybe just maybe marked improvement in pass pro with going to more 2 point stances. We lose a couple of good players on that line however with Bryan and Marshall matriculating.

We have a bunch of OG types returning but no prototype OTs. I think Austin Smith is the best prospect to transition to OT so I hope he stays on O.

slugboy

Staff member
I was a huge Hamilton fan, but it'd be cool for Shawn Jones to get a little credit occasionally too. Four year starter, national championship, MVP of the championship game. He accumulated 35 wins, 9,296 yards of total offense, and 70 touchdowns over 4 years of collegiate play (thanks Wikipedia). Great QB.
Keep plugging JoeHam--I'll just plug Jones too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was a huge Hamilton fan, but it'd be cool for Shawn Jones to get a little credit occasionally too. Four year starter, national championship, MVP of the championship game. He accumulated 35 wins, 9,296 yards of total offense, and 70 touchdowns over 4 years of collegiate play (thanks Wikipedia). Great QB.
Keep plugging JoeHam--I'll just plug Jones too.

To this day, still my favorite GT QB of all time. The guy made me fall in love with GT athletics.

Tony Dungy once said that of all the "athletic" QBs (in other words...black) that never got a fair shake in the NFL, he always remembered Shawn Jones. He always felt that Shawn would have been a good NFL QB, but all the coaches wanted him to play DB.