When will we be able to afford....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like he is purposely saying he is focusing on BG strong points to be able to say he is fulfilling those requirements at end of season.

Let's just go to the A-Sun or CUSA where we can hopefully dominate

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Papa Doc Thanks for the summary. I can't say those are bad goals, but they also seem like check list items that will allow for a safety net when BG doesn't get canned after this season if the year end performance dictates he should be.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We will probably do better than 4-14 in ACC play this season, but it will take better finishes than we have seen in most of our games so far. Next up are Duke and Miami, where I am almost certain we will be underdogs even at home. Even though Duke is weaker this year, I don't think we match up well with them. The same is true with Miami. We should beat Wake at home next week, but then have to travel to Clemson and FSU, both of which have NCAA hopes still alive. I think we are looking at 1-4 in those games when we return home to play ND and Clemson. Maybe one of those games is winnable at home. ND has Jackson back and he looks fully recovered. However we have them at home this time. Maybe we can get a win here, but would you bet your pension on it? Same with Clemson. Then we will beat BC (God, I hope so). It will be difficult to close the season with wins at Louisville and at home vs Pitt.

So, looking at these games, I see two wins for sure. Maybe we can catch a break against one of those five games at home games where will be underdogs. Or maybe we can steal a road win. But goodness gracious, I would not be at all surprised if we ended the ACC season 4-14. All that said, beat Duke tomorrow night and maybe the team can show the resilience needed to get six wins from the final nine and make us a certain NIT team and maybe a NCAA bubble team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am not sold on Clemson at all and think we beat them. Miami has some unheralded guys that I'm really impressed with in Newton and Reed. Not to mention Angel Rodriguez and Shelden McLellan.

We will lose to the U and Duke, I'd say we lose at The Ville and at home to ND as well. We will beat BC and Clemson.

We could beat Wake by 10 or lose by 30. IMHO Manning has really done a poor job this year. They have a ton of talent. We could beat PItt at home senior night.

At the most we win 5 I'd say.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not sold on Clemson at all and think we beat them. Miami has some unheralded guys that I'm really impressed with in Newton and Reed. Not to mention Angel Rodriguez and Shelden McLellan.

We will lose to the U and Duke, I'd say we lose at The Ville and at home to ND as well. We will beat BC and Clemson.

We could beat Wake by 10 or lose by 30. IMHO Manning has really done a poor job this year. They have a ton of talent. We could beat PItt at home senior night.

At the most we win 5 I'd say.
We are in complete agreement about where the wins are possible.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Or if CBG steps down???
This is an interesting idea and one I've thought about in the past. Does he pull a Frank Haith to a mid-major (where I think many of us think he'd succeed) to stay ahead of the reaper? I think it's a possibility, but not after this season. If he stays & we keep him, he gets $1MM. If we can him, he gets $750M. In either case, more than he'd get at a mid major. After next season though, that $500M buyout may be about even and he'll be coming off of a down year where we have no idea how 2017 recruiting will shake out. We'd then hit the lowest of lows, assuming a whiff on the really talented 2017 class, but we'd free up $500M.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting idea and one I've thought about in the past. Does he pull a Frank Haith to a mid-major (where I think many of us think he'd succeed) to stay ahead of the reaper? I think it's a possibility, but not after this season. If he stays & we keep him, he gets $1MM. If we can him, he gets $750M. In either case, more than he'd get at a mid major. After next season though, that $500M buyout may be about even and he'll be coming off of a down year where we have no idea how 2017 recruiting will shake out. We'd then hit the lowest of lows, assuming a whiff on the really talented 2017 class, but we'd free up $500M.
CBG doesn't strike me as the kind of man to quit anything. However, he does strike me as a man with class and honor. I don't think it would happen but I guess anything is possible.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
i obviously don't know the man but if he goes 5-13 this year and a mid major whose coach maybe moves up in the world contacts him, I could see him leaving.

You have to think there are probably some lunatics out there taking it too far and harassing him. To be the door mat of the league will eventually take its toll.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CBG doesn't strike me as the kind of man to quit anything. However, he does strike me as a man with class and honor. I don't think it would happen but I guess anything is possible.
I agree that there's no quit in BG, but I'd also say that I've heard he's made inquiries in to other opportunities. Some hearsay perhaps, but I wouldn't blame him if he left for a more stable opportunity before his contract is up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Next year could be really bad and reduce his bargain power for a future job. I think there's a case to be made for a negotiated settlement at season end this year.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I like CBG as a person, but honestly, what mid-major is going to contact him about a job? The last 5 years have been a disaster, and he was solid but not spectacular at Dayton.

If he stays in coaching post-tech, he'll have to return to the bench as an assistant for a few years while the stench wears off before he gets another low mid-major opportunity.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There are conferences where you can win with good coaching. And there is a difference between being a good coach and being an ACC caliber coach.

The Cornell coach went from a great young mind to a bum in 2 years at BC
Brian Gregory is a smart guy, he knows basketball, and he simply cannot get it done in the ACC.

Dave Leitao (sp?), Oliver Purnell, Steve Hamilton, Matt Doherty. These guys are all pretty good coaches. These guys were all disasters in the ACC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The strategic & tactical AD blunders that got us to where we are today are as follows:
  1. Dave Braine gave Hewitt what was essentially a lifetime contract coming off our national championship appearance, because we didn't have enough funds to stave off future high bids in the future and Braine was afraid he could lose a top flight coach in the future.
  2. LazyAD primarily focused on facilities upgrades with no effort in to fundraising for supporting the underlying programs.
  3. LazyAD, because of his lack of vision & his extreme willingness to treat hoops like a second hand citizen, let Hewitt off the hook following the massive underachievement of the Derrick Favors year, giving him another year to underperform.
  4. LazyAD used a magic spreadsheet to justify the finances of firing Hewitt, something we didn't have the funds to do back then, made feasible by extending the buyout to where it is today.
  5. LazyAD lazily used a consultant to make a hire because he didn't really give a crap about hoops and didn't really know about how to hire a hoops coach.
  6. LazyAD made a cheap hire of BG because he put effort to land the big gifts for McCamish Pavilion, but none to keep the operations of the program stable.
  7. MBob extended BG for what seemed to be the beginning of our turnaround, which in & of itself wasn't a bad thing given recruiting dynamics, while resetting BG's buyout schedule, which was a move of colossal idiocy as a business decision, given BG had no leverage to receive, and contributed to today's position.
  8. After yet another season of underperformance, MBob, by multiple accounts on premium boards & insiders, made the decision to remove BG and began the process of requisitioning funds to do so. The GTAA Board of Trustees told him to pound sand, go raise the money. He went out to raise the money, supposedly received commitments, and then the boosters found out the buyout terms, told him to pound sand, and that they'd support new funds once MBob cleaned up that mess.
  9. MBob came out with his public statement of BG returning, stating he had the money (technically true given balance sheets, not literally true given no authorization) and outlining BG's requirements to succeed. BG has actually recruited better & improved the offense, but the defense has been so shaky, it's no biting us on the *** in close ACC games, returning us to the doldrums of same old same old, despite the progress seen in the OOC schedule.
That's where we are today. The collective efforts of 3 ADs have left us with a snake bitten, floundering basketball program that leaves both GT fans & the outside world shaking their heads in disbelief, wondering how this could have all happened and if it will ever recover. That's how it all happened. It may be years before we determine if we recover.

Great points. Bobinski should be fired immediately - no buy out clause for him?!

CBG can go after his contract is done unless we see great improvement (vanishingly small chance it seems but I hope it happens still.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Great points. Bobinski should be fired immediately - no buy out clause for him?!

CBG can go after his contract is done unless we see great improvement (vanishingly small chance it seems but I hope it happens still.)

Well, a contract is still a contract. MBob looked good on paper but slow playing cpj while extending cbg was awful.

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow

I really, really hope you got your M and K keys mixed up.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting idea and one I've thought about in the past. Does he pull a Frank Haith to a mid-major (where I think many of us think he'd succeed) to stay ahead of the reaper? I think it's a possibility, but not after this season. If he stays & we keep him, he gets $1MM. If we can him, he gets $750M.
:eek::eek::eek:
In either case, more than he'd get at a mid major. After next season though, that $500M buyout may be about even and he'll be coming off of a down year where we have no idea how 2017 recruiting will shake out. We'd then hit the lowest of lows, assuming a whiff on the really talented 2017 class, but we'd free up $500M.

Lordy, lordy—I hope those are typos....particularly the one million million dollars, $1,000,000,000,000. Even Dr. Evil wouldn't ask for that much...;)

dr-evil-1.jpg

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If CBG took a hike, what's a realistic budget for a new coach when we still would have Hewitt on the books? Could we afford someone who would actually be an upgrade?