When will we be able to afford....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
M = 000
$1MM = $1,000,000

MGT majors unite against the engineers!

On topic, I've been begging for some midmajor to step in and allow BG a graceful out. I'd quickly get over the stigma of, "Ooh, GT lost it's coach to a midmajor!"

SFW, that'd be a get out of jail free card. BG strikes me as a guy who's not comfortable in this position with all the losing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If CBG took a hike, what's a realistic budget for a new coach when we still would have Hewitt on the books? Could we afford someone who would actually be an upgrade?
The key boosters that support hoops are supposedly willing to invest in a new regime once we dig out of the current hole. That said, I don't think we ever go beyond $1.5MM - $2MM, unless somebody cuts a very large check specifically for coaching salaries.

Based on some tidbits I've gathered, our next coach is likely to be a hungry up & comer in the $1.5MM range. Last year was the oppty to hire Will Wade, but that ship may have sailed with him getting paid $1MM now at VCU and VCU showing themselves capable of paying $1.5MM.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And for a bit of reference. Tony Bennett originally signed with UVA for 1.7M. So you can get a game changer at that price point. You just need to know what the eff you're doing.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Also, I don't see a whole lot out there right now that excites me in the coaching world for guys to come in and turn this around. We would be a year late, and that's not a surprise either.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
You know our only hope is that the "big pocket boosters" are tired of the mess of a product coaching job that Coach Dregory has done the last 5 years. Then, and only then will this "tsunami" will end. Honestly though I feel Coach has got to go if the team doesn't make the " big dance",and I don't care who we hire. I also feel this 2017 recruiting class is very critical, meaning if something doesn't change, this Institute is DOOMED, and probably won't recover until about 2020 !

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
The key boosters that support hoops are supposedly willing to invest in a new regime once we dig out of the current hole. That said, I don't think we ever go beyond $1.5MM - $2MM, unless somebody cuts a very large check specifically for coaching salaries.

Based on some tidbits I've gathered, our next coach is likely to be a hungry up & comer in the $1.5MM range. Last year was the oppty to hire Will Wade, but that ship may have sailed with him getting paid $1MM now at VCU and VCU showing themselves capable of paying $1.5MM.

When will be out of the current hole? I want to know when this nightmare will be over. :)

Mechaniik

Georgia Tech Fan
He only donated $15MM with the balance coming from debt & other donations. Also, he's since passed away. The commentator didn't know wtf he was talking about.

After this season is over, we would owe about $1.3MM to BG in buyout & about $2.7MM to Hewitt in buyout. We don't have the $4MM to do that and then pay a competitive rate for a competitive coach.

I have heard on various sites that we have boosters ready to support a revamp of the program, but not until the buyouts are done because MBob effed up.

MBob messed up, FWIW, is shorthand for 'he wasn't willing to hand boosters control of the program.'

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When will be out of the current hole? I want to know when this nightmare will be over. :)
BG has 2 more years left after this one and his buyout is now heading to lower levels. Hewitt has 3 more years left.

I'm personally of the opinion that there's a good likelihood BG is here next season unless he walks away on his own to a more stable oppty for himself, which I wouldn't blame him for.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob messed up, FWIW, is shorthand for 'he wasn't willing to hand boosters control of the program.'

Quite frankly, I'm not sure some of the boosters shouldn't get more control of the program if they're the ones ponying up, but I was referring to how the reset of the BG buyout first came to light during the inquiries for buyout funds, resulting in question marks around MBob's competency.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
BG has 2 more years left after this one and his buyout is now heading to lower levels. Hewitt has 3 more years left.

I'm personally of the opinion that there's a good likelihood BG is here next season unless he walks away on his own to a more stable oppty for himself, which I wouldn't blame him for.

Based on how GT has acted up 'til now, it would shock me if we made a change after this season. The prudent (?) financial decision is to wait until the buyouts get lower still, and I am not sure if that means 1 or 2 more years past this one with CBG in command.

My #1 concern is whether we can actually conduct a decent search for a new basketball coach, as our AD hires in the last decade have NOT impressed me at all.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Based on how GT has acted up 'til now, it would shock me if we made a change after this season. The prudent (?) financial decision is to wait until the buyouts get lower still, and I am not sure if that means 1 or 2 more years past this one with CBG in command.

My #1 concern is whether we can actually conduct a decent search for a new basketball coach, as our AD hires in the last decade have NOT impressed me at all.

Our ADs have done poorly.

But before the horrible terrible soul crushing decision to reset the buyout that had to have been fueled by Bud-diesel, jägermeister Unicorn blood and Peacones tears, MBob had consistently made quality hires in his career.

Take that for what it's worth.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our ADs have done poorly.

But before the horrible terrible soul crushing decision to reset the buyout that had to have been fueled by Bud-diesel, jägermeister Unicorn blood and Peacones tears, MBob had consistently made quality hires in his career.

Take that for what it's worth.
I have never been double quoted, so my opinion may not matter. THIS HIRE SUCKED!!! ;)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have never been double quoted, so my opinion may not matter. THIS HIRE SUCKED!!! ;)

DTM has already layed out how the CBG hire was made. Actually, what is truly scary is if you look at the other serious candidates that were considered CBG was arguably the best of them.
Also in fairness. as Pea mentioned, the current AD did not hire CBG. His previous basketball hires were Thad Matta and Chris Mack.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
DTM has already layed out how the CBG hire was made. Actually, what is truly scary is if you look at the other serious candidates that were considered CBG was arguably the best of them.
Also in fairness. as Pea mentioned, the current AD did not hire CBG. His previous basketball hires were Thad Matta and Chris Mack.
I agree with this, but the @Peacone36 post said "ADs" in the plural. I was not firing a shot at the current occupant of that office.

By whatever metric you use, though, this hire has not worked to our advantage. I went back and read the comments posted by Dayton supporters at that time and they were gleeful we hired him away. Too bad we did not consider the guy they hired to replace him. Miller has won 150 games in his first four+ years and is a lock to take the Flyers to their 3rd straight NCAAT.