When does Pastner feel heat

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
the college sports model is severely damaged. I am not sure how much longer I will be interested if it continues down this path.
Very true. Sadly, this started for me about ten years ago when college football really became a cesspool and it started to spread to hoops. I miss the days of caring about whether Wake would beat Clemson on a Tuesday night in Jan. I used to watch whatever ACC game Raycom (or JP back in the day) would air and I knew the impact each game would have on standings. Now it's a nice diversion, but I usually multi task while I watch.

slugboy

Staff member
Very true. Sadly, this started for me about ten years ago when college football really became a cesspool and it started to spread to hoops. I miss the days of caring about whether Wake would beat Clemson on a Tuesday night in Jan. I used to watch whatever ACC game Raycom (or JP back in the day) would air and I knew the impact each game would have on standings. Now it's a nice diversion, but I usually multi task while I watch.
It got to hoops first

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am leaving next week to go camping in Arizona and Utah. We will be gone for three months and I have let our prep for the trip preempt a lot of hoops TV time this year. I am missing it a lot less than could have imagined. If you saw the NY Times article on the Colorado River today, then you saw where we will be camping for much of the trip.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I am leaving next week to go camping in Arizona and Utah. We will be gone for three months and I have let our prep for the trip preempt a lot of hoops TV time this year. I am missing it a lot less than could have imagined. If you saw the NY Times article on the Colorado River today, then you saw where we will be camping for much of the trip.
I wouldn't bother hiking to "Angels Landing". It's a suicide hike.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I mean, am I wrong? I’m not saying I don’t want him, I’m saying his shots are way off the mark even when his feet are set. I’m not sure what happened and maybe it can be corrected, but usually with a good shooter the shots always look like they’re going to go, but just don’t fall sometimes. That’s what it looked like last year. This year, not so much.
Not at all. It’s not more your fault than mine. It’s great to land high level talent, it’s tragic when you piss yourself and don’t know how to use it once it arrives

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Josh wasn’t even having success pre-NIL and transfer portal. His best year was the byproduct of flukey Covid rules. He wasn’t recruiting well before NIL became a thing. Why does anybody think giving him more money would make him a legitimate coach? It’s time to move on, it has been for at least a couple of years now. That flukey Covid year probably saved his life here. I wish it hadn’t happened. We probably wouldn’t be trying to avoid being the worst team in the conference 2 years in a row.

Like I said, the actual monetary values for the top end players probably skew higher than what the chart shows, but are there really 150 schools with more resources available to put together a basketball team? Is traditional ACC basketball powerhouse Boston College really shelling out those dollars to buy way better players than we are. Or is there something in the fact that Josh Pastner is not a good basketball coach? Are Eastern Washington, Samford, MTSU, Charlotte, Tulane, FAU, Boise State, and the like so much better at raising money for their basketball program than we are? We have 2 wins against top 100 teams in Sagarin, both at home. We’re 0-12 against all other teams in the top 200. That makes us 2-12 overall against top 200 teams. Are we even a top 200 team at that point? We’re closer to being the worst team in the country than we are to being the best team. What does NIL money have to do with that?
Bro - I’m not reading all that. I’ve got no desire to try and change your mind, or refute any of those points. I’m not advocating for keeping Josh.

I’m just trying to point out the fact that you’re misguided if you don’t believe the extreme lack of resources or a dry NIL pool isn’t a major factor in this situation. Newsflash for you..lots of players were getting paid before NIL. Now it’s just above board.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Bro - I’m not reading all that. I’ve got no desire to try and change your mind, or refute any of those points. I’m not advocating for keeping Josh.

I’m just trying to point out the fact that you’re misguided if you don’t believe the extreme lack of resources or a dry NIL pool isn’t a major factor in this situation. Newsflash for you..lots of players were getting paid before NIL. Now it’s just above board.
buckle up, we agree. NIL sucks and only benefits big time programs. That said I am not against players getting paid. Blanket payments for things such as EA Sports contracts are fine. Unfortunately they have done the dumbest thing ever and made it competitive. Hello money laundering….

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
buckle up, we agree. NIL sucks and only benefits big time programs. That said I am not against players getting paid. Blanket payments for things such as EA Sports contracts are fine. Unfortunately they have done the dumbest thing ever and made it competitive. Hello money laundering….
Love you brother😉 (ducking guy hates me)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Newsflash, it’s literally not that big of an obstacle. Maybe I would jump on that side of the fence if JP had recruited worth a damn before NIL came to fruition. He didn’t. You ever seen a coach win the ACC tournament only to follow it without one single rated recruit? That’s embarrassing.

Pastner has been here for 7 years, and has yet to recruit an ACC caliber big man. Moses Wright was a once in a blue moon development project that happened to work out by his senior year. The only other usable big Pastner has brought in was James Banks, and that was via a transfer, something some people on here are saying is a reason GT basketball has to settle for mediocre.

Players were getting paid before? Yeah, no ****. We were doing it too. In 2006 we had the #5 and #11 ranked recruits in the country. In 2005 and 2004 we had 3 in the top 100.

Even as recent as 2012 we were getting 3 top 100 recruits. That’s never happened with Pastner, nor will it ever. NIL or not.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lot of words to say nothing that hasn’t already been said 45 times already. Again, no desire to have this discussion for the 46th time. Have a good night, champ!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bro - I’m not reading all that.....

Sorry to lol but this got me.

C62 out here like ...

Dancing GIF

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
An interesting thing to contemplate is that the shoe contracts for coaches were essentially the forerunners of NIL (business funded NIL rather than the consumer funded NIL that I don't think will last). Bobby Cremins had one of the first and the highest. NIL should be a bonanza for GT but it is held back by a loser mentality in the GTAA and endless despondency among our "fans," who will argue with anyone that we are the sad sacks of college sports. It is a self-defeating, self-hating attitude that feeds upon itself and mutates when convenient into slightly different arguments of why this world-renowned school in an outstanding international city is unattractive to anyone.

Having a positive, energetic guy who isn't a weird dude somehow transcended the negativity. Maybe that should be a consideration going forward.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
An interesting thing to contemplate is that the shoe contracts for coaches were essentially the forerunners of NIL (business funded NIL rather than the consumer funded NIL that I don't think will last). Bobby Cremins had one of the first and the highest. NIL should be a bonanza for GT but it is held back by a loser mentality in the GTAA and endless despondency among our "fans," who will argue with anyone that we are the sad sacks of college sports. It is a self-defeating, self-hating attitude that feeds upon itself and mutates when convenient into slightly different arguments of why this world-renowned school in an outstanding international city is unattractive to anyone.

Having a positive, energetic guy who isn't a weird dude somehow transcended the negativity. Maybe that should be a consideration going forward.
This is the thing that I’ve never understood about the GT fan base as a “sidewalk” fan. I certainly believe strongly in humility, but sheesh.

You laid it out much more eloquently than I could have, but it still strong here. Hell, look no further than this thread alone and people crapping on an ACC title…as if every other team wasn’t playing under the same rules.

I’ll never understand it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
None of us have a true clue as to what coach could turn GT BB into an upper half ACC team. No doubt there are a number who could. J Batt needs to fix the deep issue with the infrastructure that makes up the GTBB Program.

Clearly there are deep running issues beyond the head coach. Until those get addressed we will be at best a lower 1/2 ACC team.

Batt is coming from a school that decided to commit to BB and they now are a serious program. Money surely matters. Money can be found by the right AD. Let’s hope Batt is the right guy. If he isn’t all are sports programs will decline even further.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This is the thing that I’ve never understood about the GT fan base as a “sidewalk” fan. I certainly believe strongly in humility, but sheesh.

You laid it out much more eloquently than I could have, but it still strong here. Hell, look no further than this thread alone and people crapping on an ACC title…as if every other team wasn’t playing under the same rules.

I’ll never understand it.
We lack the fake it until you make it gene in abundance. Engineers are too analytical by nature. It's all about what logical, scientific, etc. We tend to dismiss, diminish, underestimate the power of positive thinking & constructing plans based on hope. GT fans decide not to support the program because they look at our program on paper, start analyzing all the weaknesses, etc instead of focus on leveraging the strengths we have & try to put them to good use. We should be state of the art in everything technically related in the sports world giving us great advantage, instead we lag Alabama and FSU because we moan about hard courses, lack of loose women, rich MFers to bankroll our programs, ugh. We have the rich MFers and fans throughout the spectrum, but they go all analytical on us to our detriment. It's in our DNA unfortunately.

Jolly Good Fellow
We lack the fake it until you make it gene in abundance. Engineers are too analytical by nature. It's all about what logical, scientific, etc. We tend to dismiss, diminish, underestimate the power of positive thinking & constructing plans based on hope. GT fans decide not to support the program because they look at our program on paper, start analyzing all the weaknesses, etc instead of focus on leveraging the strengths we have & try to put them to good use. We should be state of the art in everything technically related in the sports world giving us great advantage, instead we lag Alabama and FSU because we moan about hard courses, lack of loose women, rich MFers to bankroll our programs, ugh. We have the rich MFers and fans throughout the spectrum, but they go all analytical on us to our detriment. It's in our DNA unfortunately.
When I joined the Swarm 2 or 3 years ago, I was immediately struck by how much GT fans hate each other. Somebody is arguing with somebody else in every thread.
Oh well....
GT33...This is the first I've read of our "lack of loose women" problem. I suggest we hire a "special teams" coach to handle this immediately......LOL!