When does Pastner feel heat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As I understand the contract, the buyout of that salary commitment is 75% at the end of this year and 60% at the end of next year. For a P5 revenue program that is not a lot. For GT which just turned over its football staff it may be too much. At least for this year. We'll see.
I'm more concerned with the bump in cash it's gonna take to hire a new coach + actual money for assts + nil money + ancillary stuff we need to truly compete than I am with the money it'll take to buy him out.

Ugh, I'm depressed again.

Sad Michael Jordan GIF

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well, Key's literally coached 8 games. The guy who's 1-9 in the acc currently has had a ton of defense by you. Let's keep the same energy.

Ton of defense? Ive been pretty much nothing but critical of him this year and think he should be gone if we can at all make a good coaching hire. I just don't want to make a change for the sake of making a change and end up with some guaranteed dud.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The recruiting issue you mention is not the one I am most worried about. We need to be recruiting Coleman, Kelly and Moore to stay at GT. If they think Josh is leaving, the pressure for them to look around increases.
Let them go. If they think they can light it up at another P5 school they can have at it. I saw alot of players playing with little heart last night, losing doesn't seem to bother anyone on this team, including the coach.

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
As I understand the contract, the buyout of that salary commitment is 75% at the end of this year and 60% at the end of next year. For a P5 revenue program that is not a lot. For GT which just turned over its football staff it may be too much. At least for this year. We'll see.
Based on the AJC article quoted below, it's $2.5M and can be paid over 3 years. Is the article wrong?

Appears that maybe something is going to happen.

"Before the season, it appeared that multiple factors, including the cost of the football coaching transition and the recent success of the basketball team, made the possibility of a change with Pastner highly unlikely. But the lack of success and a decline in attendance at McCamish Pavilion have drawn the concern of new athletic director J Batt, a person familiar with the situation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution."
"... a change would be costly, but manageable... Pastner has three years remaining on his contract, and the buyout, which could be paid out over those three years, would be around $2.5 million."

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: As losses mount, so does presstre on Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Based on the AJC article quoted below, it's $2.5M and can be paid over 3 years. Is the article wrong?
That is what I understand it is based on the percentage buyout in the contract. I believe that is a very doable buyout sum for a P5 basketball program. The issue as Ivy and the ice cream eater have pointed out - is do we have the money, desire, focus and wherewithal at this point with the football turnover to go invest in the basketball program in a way that moves it forward. If we don't have it this year as I expect, then we wait till next year and invest in a way to really compete in the ACC. Not K type of money but hire and support an up and coming coach who can make it work.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I say keep Pastner, take what would be his buyout and future Head Coach’s replacement salary and put it towards staff and NIL.

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
That is what I understand it is based on the percentage buyout in the contract. I believe that is a very doable buyout sum for a P5 basketball program. The issue as Ivy and the ice cream eater have pointed out - is do we have the money, desire, focus and wherewithal at this point with the football turnover to go invest in the basketball program in a way that moves it forward. If we don't have it this year as I expect, then we wait till next year and invest in a way to really compete in the ACC. Not K type of money but hire and support an up and coming coach who can make it work.
Okay. If I remember correctly, for Hewitt and Gregory, we were on the hook for a percentage of their remaining contract value. In this case, that would mean > $6M-$7M. $2.5M is closer to Pastner's yearly salary. The opportunity cost of keeping him (lost revenue, recruits, etc.) is probably on the same order (> $1M-$2M).

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Anthony Wilkins - Georgia Tech -Salary = $240,000/year
Julian Swartz - Georgia Tech - Salary = $168,000/year
Brian Eskildsen - Georgia Tech - Salary = ?
No wonder most of the experts on here don't want to take the job. We'd have to take a pay cut. $168k salary for someone ina relatively important position is quite frankly highly embarassing. I'm nearing the end of my professional life and possibly I'd take a bit of a pay cut to work at GT if I could do the job so I could set up for retirement. Guys in the prime of their careers or serious up & comers, no way.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
No wonder most of the experts on here don't want to take the job. We'd have to take a pay cut. $168k salary for someone ina relatively important position is quite frankly highly embarassing. I'm nearing the end of my professional life and possibly I'd take a bit of a pay cut to work at GT if I could do the job so I could set up for retirement. Guys in the prime of their careers or serious up & comers, no way.
Not to forget about the crazy hours. I had a chance to peer into football coach world, the bottom rung too, and those guys were easily putting in 85-100 hour work weeks in season (offseason was still 70+). Basketball might be a little lighter but I'm sure it’s still insane.

slugboy

Staff member
Not to forget about the crazy hours. I had a chance to peer into football coach world, the bottom rung too, and those guys were easily putting in 85-100 hour work weeks in season (offseason was still 70+). Basketball might be a little lighter but I'm sure it’s still insane.
I have never heard basketball coaching hours are lighter, fwiw. They may be worse

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No wonder most of the experts on here don't want to take the job. We'd have to take a pay cut. $168k salary for someone ina relatively important position is quite frankly highly embarassing.

Being an assistant coach for a game is hardly what I would call important in the overall view of things.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Being an assistant coach for a game is hardly what I would call important in the overall view of things.

Wait, are you suggesting asst coaches are inconsequential?

if so, I'd beg to differ.
The school cannot fund NIL. This should be obvious.

:ROFLMAO: Man, you're so mean. In his defense, this NIL stuff is hard to follow and seems to be really fluid "rules"-wise.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
:ROFLMAO: Man, you're so mean. In his defense, this NIL stuff is hard to follow and seems to be really fluid "rules"-wise.
I agree that it is hard to follow and that there is A LOT of just made up stuff being repeated by sports writers, who should know better. One thing that should be obvious to anyone who casually follows college sports is that school athletic associations cannot fund or support NIL. Schools passively endorsing NIL collectives are the closest blur to that line I have seen.

I anticipate a bunch of crazy things happening in the next couple of years.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Schools passively endorsing NIL collectives are the closest blur to that line I have seen.
I was asked by one university to continue my current giving to their fund (think AT) and any additional funding I wanted to give should go to a collective instead of raising my direct University giving. In that case, it wasn't passive, it was blatant and explicit. Will be very interesting to see how long we stay with the current "rules" and when we just throw in the towel and acknowledge it's a pro sport and there is no "student" in student athlete.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree that it is hard to follow and that there is A LOT of just made up stuff being repeated by sports writers, who should know better. One thing that should be obvious to anyone who casually follows college sports is that school athletic associations cannot fund or support NIL. Schools passively endorsing NIL collectives are the closest blur to that line I have seen.

I anticipate a bunch of crazy things happening in the next couple of years.

I respectfully disagree. As Michael Strahan aka @mstranahan illustrates, there is some very intentional 'support' by athletic associations to this NIL stuff. Totally fair to be unsure on that stuff. Just my 3 cents.

Dang, it almost sounds like im defending my own uncertainty on all this huh? Nah, i got it all figured out. Ask me ... anything about it.

Animated GIF

GT33

Helluva Engineer
A great HC will do ok, but not without great assistants and a great support staff below them. There’s just so many elements that contribute- game planning, practice group and individual, work outs, film breakdown, then recruiting. There’s visits, people offering services and try to sell you ****, travel, team travel, equipment, roster management, counseling and mentoring, etc. These guys have to deal with media, too and like the mutts found out a few days ago sometimes doing major damage control and coming under extreme scrutiny. List goes on. It’s not a 1 man job and being in a similar occupation it’s a 24 hr a day, 7 day a week level of responsibility that requires a ton of coordination where you put in 12-16 hr days routinely. Not a lot of days off, ever. I take breaks like I’m doing now just to break the constant work activity.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I was asked by one university to continue my current giving to their fund (think AT) and any additional funding I wanted to give should go to a collective instead of raising my direct University giving. In that case, it wasn't passive, it was blatant and explicit. Will be very interesting to see how long we stay with the current "rules" and when we just throw in the towel and acknowledge it's a pro sport and there is no "student" in student athlete.
I never expected anyone in college athletics to suggest that you give your money to someone else. Strange times indeed.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have heard 2 ACC assistant coaches say that when they are recruiting top guys they often (not always) have to meet first with the kids NIL agent. The agent will say this is the number - if you can meet the number then we can talk. Agent confirms the number with the NIL group before the coach talks to the kid. The coach has to facilitate the NIL engagement