When does Pastner feel heat

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pastner knows his days are numbered. I would not be surprised if Batt is already talking to him. I don't know how it happened, but this season has been driven off the cliff. My worry now is not about the end of season record, but how do we keep some of these guys from bolting via the portal. It almost seems like they are halfway there now. Today was embarrassing.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner knows his days are numbered. I would not be surprised if Batt is already talking to him. I don't know how it happened, but this season has been driven off the cliff. My worry now is not about the end of season record, but how do we keep some of these guys from bolting via the portal. It almost seems like they are halfway there now. Today was embarrassing.
I think both the coach and the players need to be replaced. If they want to stay and get there degrees, I am all for that.

slugboy

Staff member
Pastner had slack, and he may have run out of it. Before the season, it needed a disaster of a season to end his career here. It’s hard to believe that he’s had a disastrous enough season to do that in one year.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
As a sidewalk fan I have to imagine you sometimes have to say to yourself "how did I get stuck with these guys?" Say you didn't follow ACC basketball at all and read these threads. You would have to think that GT hasn't been over .500 in the conference since Pastner got here and probably hasn't been close to .500 in more than a dozen years.

The last year and a half has been awful. It is a cause for concern. These weak attempts to erase the past are as tiresome as they are dishonest.
He’s 102-110 and won ~39% of acc contests. You could likewise say some fonts massively overvalue the past. 7 year sample size is pretty stout to know what you have. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Rough day at the coliseum today. woof. Jackets did not look like they belonged in same sport as Dook, let alone same conference. Objectively, this is bad and a change needs to happen at the end of this season. If Reveno were still on the bench, I would probably suggest we fire coach right now, but I don't think we have any assistant coaches with head coach experience. Fire him asap so you get a new coach asap who can try to keep some kids from leaving. :-(

View attachment 13948we did get free Buzz caps at the game tho
At least there was a silver (gold?) lining for you to witness the disaster in person.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The portal piece may not be as big of a deal as it seems. Kansas State is ranked #5 after a terrible season last year and their entire team is transfers the new coach Tang brought in. Otz at Iowa State did a similar thing last year for their 2-win-to-Tournament turnaround.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
People get upset when someone suggests that a team has given up (see past football discussions) but there is a point where a team loses confidence in their ability to win and starts going through the motions. This seems to happen with less talented teams (where margin for error is small) and cascades. It feels like it only took a couple of weeks for fans to move from “I see how this team might get better and figure out how to win” to “I don’t see how this team will ever get better.”

It looked to me like the team lacked a leader and also needed to add two positions, a quality big man and a point guard. Otherwise the effort by all the other players often goes for naught, hence the feeling of giving up.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
He is likeable, engaging, a bit goofy and plays well with the GT fanbase overall
Nothing is going to happen with Pastner until the football situation declares itself
Despite the likeability, GT was second lowest in home attendance with 4700 per game. That is an issue.
One trip to the NCAAs in 6 years is an issue.

We have young talent but are close to starting over with that young talent. This is not get old stay old. It is 4-5 year cycles.
IMHO if football were cruising he would already be on a hot seat. As is, he has a couple of years to get the talent in the program to dancing level.
I get it. He is an adorable little leprechaun with his bushy sideburns, but he has no part of gold. So in summary he’s just a leprechaun!

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The portal piece may not be as big of a deal as it seems. Kansas State is ranked #5 after a terrible season last year and their entire team is transfers the new coach Tang brought in. Otz at Iowa State did a similar thing last year for their 2-win-to-Tournament turnaround.
Basketball is the easiest of the major sports to turn around. You need two guys to add to the team. Give me a Jarrett Jack/Travis Best level guard and an Alvin Jones/Lammers level big man, and we’d be instantly competitive in every game. Those are guys we should be able to recruit every year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Kinda sums up a lot of thoughts, "A season that continues to explore new depths descended even further Saturday."