When does Pastner feel heat

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
There is no real point in firing Pastner unless we have a plan to actually upgrade, and based on the football search I have no confidence that we would make one.
The cash won't be laid out all at once, but we should have a rock solid plan on how to fund that because if we're gonna depend on "increased ticket sales', we'll just get burned again.

I have to agree that the reality is that GT, at least in the current environment, will not be a nationally contending team on a consistent basis. What should we aspire to? An occasional two win tournament experience (once every decade). Getting to dance every three or four years along with a winning ACC record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did I miss the news about someone coming along to foot the bill for Geoff Collins' buyout and take that expense off of our hands?

I think assuming there's any particular funds available to apply to GT Hoops is a gigantic leap.

No, I meant having to pay a new coach's buyout at the school he was at on top of Collins's :cautious:, which would have been the case with getting someone like Chadwell, or Fritz (Fritz's Tulane buyout was rumored to be in the millions)...PLUS taking on a bigger salary. Fritzwould have cost us 4+ million a year as opposed to 2.8 million for Key.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner and his coaches can't recruit. I am most maddened by the lack of shooting. GT has been stuck in getting an athlete or project. Five athletes on the floor with mediocre coaching will stink. Four or five shooters on the floor, can win some unexpected games.

I'd like to see us move on from Pastner, but thats not happening. What I hope will or has happened, is that AD Batt has gotten in Pastner's ear about recruiting, coaching and a plan to improve both moving forward. No reason for GT to not have at least one 4 or 5 star recruit come in each season...NONE. Either Pastner is very lazy recruiter or he has NO charisma to sell a recruit that might be getting offers from more reknowned programs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He
Pastner and his coaches can't recruit. I am most maddened by the lack of shooting. GT has been stuck in getting an athlete or project. Five athletes on the floor with mediocre coaching will stink. Four or five shooters on the floor, can win some unexpected games.

I'd like to see us move on from Pastner, but thats not happening. What I hope will or has happened, is that AD Batt has gotten in Pastner's ear about recruiting, coaching and a plan to improve both moving forward. No reason for GT to not have at least one 4 or 5 star recruit come in each season...NONE. Either Pastner is very lazy recruiter or he has NO charisma to sell a recruit that might be getting offers from more reknowned programs.
He needs to start with dynamic recruiters on his staff. They are not getting it done. If he keeps the status quo he will be on a very hot seat in 2024. Start there and work on NIL money.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Maybe CJP just needs a better recruiting pitch?

relapse records money GIF by Red Fang

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
And to build on this, I am very uncertain there is much stomach for throwing the money toward basketball that improving on Pastner would require. While he is not doing as a good as we hoped, it could certainly be worse and there is no certainty that a new coach would be a lot more successful. I agree with dtm that NIL money and commitment to funding assistant coaches is key.
So if that’s the case then we should just extend his contract at much lower rates until he leaves on his own accord.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I like Pastner but don't really care about basketball. I hope he does better and think the recruiting problems are something other than him being lazy or not having charisma.

We've gone through a massive change in college sports with NIL and portal and COVID. I know all programs have, but we started off behind when he got here and the lawsuit crap hurt.

Happy New Year!

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow

I have thought he came across somewhat squirly and that wouldn’t go off good sitting down with a prospect and their parents or guardians.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I have thought he came across somewhat squirly and that wouldn’t go off good sitting down with a prospect and their parents or guardians.
He’s goofy and not in a good way.

I agree with everyone else that there’s no point firing him if we don’t have the plan in place to make the next guy successful. Still super depressing though. I’ve gotten to the point where I tune in for the first bit but once I see what kind of team we have (like this year) I just stay interested in watching atrociously coached bball.

I’ll watch games again once they finally make a change.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I'm going, to be honest, but Tech lost me a while ago on Basketball. I used to attend religiously and loved the atmosphere. But no longer, the lack of commitment to excellence and the acceptance of mediocrity is where I draw the line. Why should I spend $$$$ of dollars to buy tickets, make donations, and attend games, when the administration is ok with mediocre results, and sub-par coaching? There is no progression in the last 7 years in fundamentals or recruiting. We won the ACC and took a big fat 0 with recruits. Think about that, we won the ACC and got nobody to sign onto the program. And the worst part... no decision maker that I saw said a word. They were ok with it, they even gave them an extension. Are you kidding me? In business, we would change the leadership of that department. You have failed to show that you can correctly evaluate the landscape and capitalize to move the organization forward. The leadership would be gone because to miss that opportunity, you put the business back 5-10 years. And yes Tech basketball is a business and should be run like it.

There is no reason In my mind that Tech shouldn't be a top-15 team EVERY year. We can draw a circle around Atlanta and get some of the highest talent in the county. It's a maddening series of decisions by the administration that has brought us to where a team in the heart of Atlanta, with incredible things to offer, and a rich history of NBA talent, is honesty a joke of a program.

But hey, let's just give them 5 more years... And hope for the best.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm going, to be honest, but Tech lost me a while ago on Basketball. I used to attend religiously and loved the atmosphere. But no longer, the lack of commitment to excellence and the acceptance of mediocrity is where I draw the line. Why should I spend $$$$ of dollars to buy tickets, make donations, and attend games, when the administration is ok with mediocre results, and sub-par coaching? There is no progression in the last 7 years in fundamentals or recruiting. We won the ACC and took a big fat 0 with recruits. Think about that, we won the ACC and got nobody to sign onto the program. And the worst part... no decision maker that I saw said a word. They were ok with it, they even gave them an extension. Are you kidding me? In business, we would change the leadership of that department. You have failed to show that you can correctly evaluate the landscape and capitalize to move the organization forward. The leadership would be gone because to miss that opportunity, you put the business back 5-10 years. And yes Tech basketball is a business and should be run like it.

There is no reason In my mind that Tech shouldn't be a top-15 team EVERY year. We can draw a circle around Atlanta and get some of the highest talent in the county. It's a maddening series of decisions by the administration that has brought us to where a team in the heart of Atlanta, with incredible things to offer, and a rich history of NBA talent, is honesty a joke of a program.

But hey, let's just give them 5 more years... And hope for the best.
The ACC tournament win was not much to capitalize on. In the 70 year history of the tournament, this was the weakest victory. Virginia and Duke forfeited and we only had to play two games. Everything else you said is spot on.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well maybe not the highest level anymore. But you don’t think we should be getting solid local 3 star kids over David didenko or random guys from overseas? Our recruiting should never be that desperate.
Why "should' we get anything? You ask that like being a local school in the ACC is enough and we should be turning kids away. Didenko was a **** take, but there's more complexity than that.

Also, I think we have 4-5 3*+ kids from the local area on the team right now. They haven't turned out as hoped, but you can't take the stars away once the final rankings come out.

Meanwhile, you weren't asked the question of how you'd go about it, but since you created a diversion, I'll pose the question to you as well.

Pastner's out and a new coaching regime comes in, how do they go about putting that circle around Atlanta? Who's got strategies or tactics to go about that effort?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
At a program with better financial resources, maybe it would be. At GT, it's not.
In March of last season, Josh Pastner was the 37th highest paid coach in college basketball. That’s WAAAYYYYYYYY higher than where Key ranks in college football when you consider how many more mid-major schools have very good and nationally relevant basketball programs compared to football. Yet, we aren’t even close to being the 37th best college basketball team. I’m not even sure we’re the 137th best team. According to KenPom we’re 119th, and according to NET we’re 140th. That’s unacceptable for a program paying a 7th year coach as much as we are. Especially when you consider that coach has only been to 1 NCAAT in the flukiest fashion possible.

This myth some are trying to push about our finances being too far out of shape to yield an actual competitive basketball program is a joke. You know how much money separates Pastner at 37 from Juwan Howard at #20 in salary? $500,000. That’s it. Tony Bennett is making $648k more at #16 and has consistently put together one of the best teams in the country. The first coach(es) making $1M more than Pastner are Musselman at Arkansas and Buzz Williams at aTm who both make $4M per year compared to Pastner’s $3M.

UGA just signed Mike White to a deal worth ~$3.5M per year through 2029, and they have exponentially more resources to work with than we do. We are not priced out of a top tier college basketball coach when looking at the market rate. But when we have even some of our most dedicated fans (the people on this board) willing to accept mediocrity for a seemingly unlimited amount of years, well then we’ll just continue to be mediocre.

GT basketball is a joke right now, and it doesn’t have to be that way.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In March of last season, Josh Pastner was the 37th highest paid coach in college basketball. That’s WAAAYYYYYYYY higher than where Key ranks in college football when you consider how many more mid-major schools have very good and nationally relevant basketball programs compared to football. Yet, we aren’t even close to being the 37th best college basketball team. I’m not even sure we’re the 137th best team. According to KenPom we’re 119th, and according to NET we’re 140th. That’s unacceptable for a program paying a 7th year coach as much as we are. Especially when you consider that coach has only been to 1 NCAAT in the flukiest fashion possible.

This myth some are trying to push about our finances being too far out of shape to yield an actual competitive basketball program is a joke. You know how much money separates Pastner at 37 from Juwan Howard at #20 in salary? $500,000. That’s it. Tony Bennett is making $648k more at #16 and has consistently put together one of the best teams in the country. The first coach(es) making $1M more than Pastner are Musselman at Arkansas and Buzz Williams at aTm who both make $4M per year compared to Pastner’s $3M.

UGA just signed Mike White to a deal worth ~$3.5M per year through 2029, and they have exponentially more resources to work with than we do. We are not priced out of a top tier college basketball coach when looking at the market rate. But when we have even some of our most dedicated fans (the people on this board) willing to accept mediocrity for a seemingly unlimited amount of years, well then we’ll just continue to be mediocre.

GT basketball is a joke right now, and it doesn’t have to be that way.
This is a long winded, cherry picking rant ignoring all of the other things that cost money. Just a worthless post.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Why "should' we get anything? You ask that like being a local school in the ACC is enough and we should be turning kids away. Didenko was a **** take, but there's more complexity than that.

Also, I think we have 4-5 3*+ kids from the local area on the team right now. They haven't turned out as hoped, but you can't take the stars away once the final rankings come out.

Meanwhile, you weren't asked the question of how you'd go about it, but since you created a diversion, I'll pose the question to you as well.

Pastner's out and a new coaching regime comes in, how do they go about putting that circle around Atlanta? Who's got strategies or tactics to go about that effort?

Yes being a local school in the ACC should be enough to where we aren't resorting to the numerous projects we've brought in throughout his tenure. Again, I'm not under the illusion that we are gonna be bringing in Derrick Favors and Chris Bosh types anymore. But there's a middle ground. It's not my job or responsibility to create your "strategies". The administration should be the ones doing that but judging from how they've treated and acted towards the program dating back to the last few years of Hewitt it seems like it's a lost cause anyway.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes being a local school in the ACC should be enough to where we aren't resorting to the numerous projects we've brought in throughout his tenure. Again, I'm not under the illusion that we are gonna be bringing in Derrick Favors and Chris Bosh types anymore. But there's a middle ground. It's not my job or responsibility to create your "strategies". The administration should be the ones doing that but judging from how they've treated and acted towards the program dating back to the last few years of Hewitt it seems like it's a lost cause anyway.
Got it. More talking loud, saying nothing from the audience.