When does Pastner feel heat

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How long before Josh shows up on the coach's hot seat list? I actually like his demeanor and attitude. I really want him to succeed but at some point he will need to win more. How much time does he get if we continue to stay near the bottom of the league?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
never... we have consistently underachieved and under-recruited with this staff. Our fan base is tiny and we aren't doing the things necessary to grow it. We aren't making a change anytime soon. The glory days of GaTech are long gone and they aren't returning.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Should’ve been 3 years ago. Flukey 2020 ACCT win was probably the worst thing that could’ve happened for purposes of building a stable and successful program. Didn’t even leverage it into any top tier recruits, so overall it was pretty pointless. Maybe if Moses was able able to play in the NCAAT it would’ve been different. But as it stands, that season was just a fluke and gave everyone a false sense of hope.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Football situation bought him time. If we don’t improve next year things will start to heat up.
I would also argue that Pastner has benefitted just as much, if not more, from the string of mediocre to bad coaches since Cremins left. My hypothesis is that we have been so bad for so long (with the exception of maybe 2-3 seasons in that entire time frame) that there aren't enough people left in the fan base interested enough (sadly) to make much of a noise or ruckus. This allows our new AD to plug other holes in the leaky ship that are more important both to him, the GTAA and the fanbase. Honestly, I don't remember the last time any one in my group of Tech alums and buddies having a basketball conversation that revolved around Yellow Jackets. And all of us are basketball fans and were young alums in the glory days. We thought going dance was an annual rite of spring.

Let me ask this question, and it is a sincere one, how many people are regular contributors to the BB forum. I would say it's about 15 tops. Would you agree or disagree with this number? And don't get me wrong, I applaud you guys for that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would also argue that Pastner has benefitted just as much, if not more, from the string of mediocre to bad coaches since Cremins left. My hypothesis is that we have been so bad for so long (with the exception of maybe 2-3 seasons in that entire time frame) that there aren't enough people left in the fan base interested enough (sadly) to make much of a noise or ruckus. This allows our new AD to plug other holes in the leaky ship that are more important both to him, the GTAA and the fanbase. Honestly, I don't remember the last time any one in my group of Tech alums and buddies having a basketball conversation that revolved around Yellow Jackets. And all of us are basketball fans and were young alums in the glory days. We thought going dance was an annual rite of spring.

Let me ask this question, and it is a sincere one, how many people are regular contributors to the BB forum. I would say it's about 15 tops. Would you agree or disagree with this number? And don't get me wrong, I applaud you guys for that.
We have had 15 years of bad basketball teams with 2 good years tossed in for variety. Hard to stay interested when the team loses way more than it wins and plays bad basketball in the process. Worse, there currently seems no real hope that this year will be better or there are enough very good players coming next year to make it different. GT BB is very depressing currently. Hats off to all the fans that regularly show up for games.

slugboy

Staff member

I continue to give Hewitt credit for making the championship game, even considering his assistants as a factor in that success. So, it’s only the tail end of Hewitt’s coaching I call mediocre.

15 sounds like a fair number. I’m afraid people might have tuned out after that Ft Meyer’s tip off.

Losing hurts; not looking fluid in the games might be worse.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think he has through next season tbh, but unless he finds a James banks somewhere in the portal I don't see any way we improve. I like Pastner and want him to do well but I think he's fallen into the Hewitt situation (without the success) where he's lost assistants and hasn't replaced them with quality. First it was DLab with recruiting and now Reveno and interior coaching. I think recruiting has gotten better but we don't have 3-4 years for him to coach up/recruit a big man. We just let a shoot first team eat our lunch inside the paint

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a bigger BB fan than FB (I graduated in 1990) but Im a lifelong Tech guy (third generation grad). Don't post alot, but definitely lurk on the BB board. I've stated numerous times Tech has the resources to regularly finish in the top third of the ACC. I like Pastner as a person and I believe he can coach but his inability to recruit, especially the fertile metro Atlanta area is unsat. It will only take one or two recruits to get us back on the right track. The question is can Pastner do it. I give him next year to make the tourney. I am tired of sucking in hoops.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The Mark Price team hooked me as a young man and I was full in after attending and graduating in the early 90s. I agree I like Pastner individually, but we do need improvement in our recruiting, which will translate to better play. Barring that improvement, I don't think he makes it past next season.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Basketball is easier to rebuild than football. Just need 2-3 really solid recruits. I like Pastner as a person but he’s not cutting it. There is no reason being in the ACC and ATL that we don’t have a good program. If the powers to be don’t care about basketball then drop the program. It’s embarrassing to look so bad when we once had a respected program.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Basketball is easier to rebuild than football. Just need 2-3 really solid recruits. I like Pastner as a person but he’s not cutting it. There is no reason being in the ACC and ATL that we don’t have a good program. If the powers to be don’t care about basketball then drop the program. It’s embarrassing to look so bad when we once had a respected program.

Given our financial position, I would imagine the newAD understands the importance of being relevant on the only other revenue producing sport. I just think it has sunk to the point (fortunately for him) that it's not a front burner issue due to lack of attention, which he did not have with the other revenue producing program. He has got some space to fix this and I imagine that he will want to do that moving forward. I know I would.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think he has this year to pull a miracle or next year will be his last here if we either don't win the ACC or make the NCAA next year.

The last decade+ has been rough to follow. I still watch each game if televised and listen to the radio if not. Although I do admit to time shifting some games this year and last, figuring I can catch up before the end of the game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I continue to give Hewitt credit for making the championship game, even considering his assistants as a factor in that success. So, it’s only the tail end of Hewitt’s coaching I call mediocre.

15 sounds like a fair number. I’m afraid people might have tuned out after that Ft Meyer’s tip off.

Losing hurts; not looking fluid in the games might be worse.
I would agree. 2000-2007 was pretty good. It dropped off hard after that. But he was never a great X’s and O’s Offensive coach. Our inability to inbound the ball under the basket during his tenure still causes me to wake up sweating with nightmares in the middle of the night.

slugboy

Staff member
I would agree. 2000-2007 was pretty good. It dropped off hard after that. But he was never a great X’s and O’s Offensive coach. Our inability to inbound the ball under the basket during his tenure still causes me to wake up sweating with nightmares in the middle of the night.
As much as basketball and football are what we see, I think Batt has his hands full “professionalizing” the AA. He’s probably home taking a breather, but still thinking about what he has to do next.

We could use a Mark Teixeira for basketball. We need that moneyed booster who knows the game and wants us to be good, just like Teixeira does for baseball. We could use a couple of them.

Pastner has shown in previous seasons that he can be a really good defensive coach. One of the other posters has said that every fan thinks that the other teams look better coached than their team does, but there are mid-majors that do look smoother than us. We’ve been playing Princeton basketball for years, and there’s no reason not to have a 5 that plays it well. If you’re a great 5 in another system, that doesn’t help us. If we’re going to distribute from the high post, surely there’s a compatible center in the top 250 players who would play here. If you’re going to get old and stay old AND run this system, then keep getting centers that you can develop to be competent in that role. With all respect to Moses, I don’t think we’ve had a recruited player since Lammers that looked like he played that role well, and Gregory recruited him; we’ve been relying on transfers to fit that role. For some reason, Pastner seems to lock in on a system when he doesn’t have the right players for that system.

Hewitt showed that you can play ugly basketball with top-25 recruits. I was stunned that we couldn’t make the NCAA tournament with Bosh. Hewitt showed that it’s not just a “get three great recruits” it’s “get a couple of great recruits that fit what you do, and some decent recruits that fit what you do really well”.

Boy, I’d love if if the Milwaukee Bucks fired Mike Budenholzer and he decided he wanted to come back to Atlanta but coach college (here).

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Pastner showed what he can accomplish two years ago. That team was very good at the end of the year, and if Moses plays in the NCAA I don’t see any way we are eliminated in the first round. The issue is that we’ve had no plan for what to do when key players leave the system. Jose and Moses depart and we decide to pin our entire team to Devoe, who quite frankly wasn’t the type of player to shoulder that sort of a load. Then Devoe and Usher leave and we are left with a bunch of guys that have barely played.

In short, he doesn’t seem to have much of a long term vision…or at least doesn’t show an ability to execute on whatever vision he has. Im still baffled that we are left without a serviceable 5 this year. Rodney simply hasn’t panned out like they expected, but I’m not sure many had high hopes that he would.

We are in a pretty bad spot right now, but it’s nothing that a single transfer into the program couldn’t solve in the short term. The issue is, can we rely on that strategy consistently?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think he has this year to pull a miracle or next year will be his last here if we either don't win the ACC or make the NCAA next year.

The last decade+ has been rough to follow. I still watch each game if televised and listen to the radio if not. Although I do admit to time shifting some games this year and last, figuring I can catch up before the end of the game.
I do the same. I usually catch the start to see how well we match up. If we get more than 10 behind I check back with about 10 minutes to go . If we have a chance I watch until the end.
At some point he may have to get a more consistent rotation. It looks almost like random substitution now. I blame a lot of game management on his assistants. They should be helping him during the game with input. I also think we could have better assistants. They do a lot of recruiting and just isn't getting done.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I said at the start of yr ,this team lacks good big men,at least one dependable scorer and leadership experience . We just can't compete with any good teams .All of this falls on Pastner starting with the fiasco 3-4 yrs ago which killed recruiting.The chickens have come home to roost.A 3 win ACC record needs to get him canned.