When does Pastner feel heat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Like the guy. Cannot stand the results on the court. I once had season tickets in the Callaway Club. Now I barely even watch a game on TV. Between Gregory and Pastner, my interest level has simply dropped steadily.

Oh why you gotta bring up bad memories.

Know what, before we hired Gregory, I said the only coach on my 'heyul nawl' list was him. I was absolutely unimpressed by his Dayton teams despite then beating us when we played. Then we go and hire the guy. Smh

Fast-forward to when we fired him, the only coach on my 'heyul nawl' list then was .... rhymes with Posh Jastner. :oops:

Hmm, the fb coach i didnt want was Key.

I'm sensing a pattern.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Know what, before we hired Gregory, I said the only coach on my 'heyul nawl' list was him. I was absolutely unimpressed by his Dayton teams despite then beating us when we played. Then we go and hire the guy. Smh

Fast-forward to when we fired him, the only coach on my 'heyul nawl' list then was .... rhymes with Posh Jastner. :oops:

I'm sensing a pattern.
Nights Talladega GIF

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I'm sensing a pattern.
Please start your next hell no list with Casey Alexander (highly doubtful), Bob Richey and James Jones

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
these losses are chipping at my patience a bit. (Remember I’m the one who started this thread.) But I’m still for seeing how this season goes. The ACC is the weakest it’s maybe ever been. Usually we start our slow and get hot during conference play (last year was a glaring exception), and so I’m interested to see how this team grows and develops over the season. If it’s a train wreck season that’s worse than last year, fire pastner. But if we’re around or above .500, then I’d give him one more year and see if we could build on it.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Those that oppose firing a coach usually have two concerns. First, it resets the progress back to zero. Second, it is expensive. The second may be true. However, in basketball, a new coach can come in, recruit 3 good players, and have the team back in the tournament almost immediately. The concept of a "major rebuild" in college basketball is nonsense. It was sold to the fan base by a coach trying to buy time. The more time you can buy, the more paychecks you can collect.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

I'm sensing a pattern.
What are numbers you don't like for the Powerball? Asking for me....
🤑

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here's the way I look/looked at it. With the state of the program when he was hired, and especially the state of the roster, it made sense to me to give him 5 years. At the end of that 5 years we had back to back winning conference records for the first time since lethal weapon 3 and won the ACC for the first time since Best. It was by no means perfect but my opinion is that first five year stretch was a success and for me it earned him a mini reset. Not of the full 5 years but for 3 with the idea being one year for the step back, one year for the building up, and then one year for a payoff. Last year was the step back, this year we'll see how we develop, but I doubt we'll fire him unless we completely crater. Whether we'll get the payoff next year remains to be seen. If we do, getting back to the NCAA, for me Pastner will need to have the program at the level of almost always making the NCAAT, maybe 3 out of 4 years, or it'll be time to move on (If we make the tournament next year we should have enough returning to continue the momentum the year after from a roster standpoint).

Now, certainly not everyone will agree with the timeframe. Even with the frustrations this year I think one reason I'm okay with that is I like our young core of sophs, Coleman, Kelly, Smith, Moore, that I think can definitely make up an NCAAT team core as juniors and sophomores if we can get the surrounding pieces in order.

But the biggest point that needs to be considered is I don't think we should make a move unless we are confident we can make a good hire. Many will disagree, but the current football hire has me doubting we're in a place that can compete in the market for an obvious upgrade. Now if it becomes like the end of Gregory's time here where there was just an obvious path of the roster getting worse then we might make a change just to prevent further damage, but I don't think we're at that point. I'd rather not make a "hope hire" like our last two basketball and football coaching hires have been. If that's what we'd get I'd rather just hope that Pastner finally comes around to his sense on the Princeton and tiny ball line ups.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I too doubt we fire him this year unless there is an absolute cratering. FB rebuild gets all the bandwidth right now. And that is important to make sure the financial health of the AA overall improves. Like Ivy above I don't want to dump Pastner until we have the ability to fish in the big boy BB waters. IMHO he already has next year - but then we better be in the dance next year or the grim reaper is summoned. While I like the soph core, they have to improve and Pastner is going to have to hit most likely in the transfer portal to get the front court players he needs.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's the way I look/looked at it. With the state of the program when he was hired, and especially the state of the roster, it made sense to me to give him 5 years. At the end of that 5 years we had back to back winning conference records for the first time since lethal weapon 3 and won the ACC for the first time since Best. It was by no means perfect but my opinion is that first five year stretch was a success and for me it earned him a mini reset. Not of the full 5 years but for 3 with the idea being one year for the step back, one year for the building up, and then one year for a payoff. Last year was the step back, this year we'll see how we develop, but I doubt we'll fire him unless we completely crater. Whether we'll get the payoff next year remains to be seen. If we do, getting back to the NCAA, for me Pastner will need to have the program at the level of almost always making the NCAAT, maybe 3 out of 4 years, or it'll be time to move on (If we make the tournament next year we should have enough returning to continue the momentum the year after from a roster standpoint).
I think there is a chance that CJP leaves on his own because he was able to sell another school the line, "it wasn't me, it was GT that was the problem." He could make a lot more money if he were able to do that. To your point, I am not sure it would be good for GT if he left on his own because could leave us in an even worse place. It just doesn't seem like GT is in a good spot right now. Even if we could afford someone good, they wouldn't necessarily stay very long.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think he will have 2 years remaining on his contract after next season so we will need to make a decision regarding extending him or buying him out at that point. He needs to make the tournament next year IMO.

I really hope Rodney can play against Northeastern tomorrow.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a chance that CJP leaves on his own because he was able to sell another school the line, "it wasn't me, it was GT that was the problem." He could make a lot more money if he were able to do that. To your point, I am not sure it would be good for GT if he left on his own because could leave us in an even worse place. It just doesn't seem like GT is in a good spot right now. Even if we could afford someone good, they wouldn't necessarily stay very long.

When was the last time a MBB head coach left GT of his own accord? Not Cremins, his was mutual due to respect only.

Pastner would have to sell someone that GT and Memphis were the problems. Good luck with that spin.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think if he left he could get another HC gig, but I doubt it'd be a major conference job right now. Maybe a program way down in the dumps but I'd doubt he'd leave us for that situation. I think to the clear upgrade situations for him, it wouldn't be enough even if he could convince them he wasn't the main issue at GT. Now if he strings together two NCAAT appearances next year and the year after and then looks to get out if we lose a lot in one year then maybe he could explain away the relative slow start to building the program.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I think if he left he could get another HC gig, but I doubt it'd be a major conference job right now. Maybe a program way down in the dumps but I'd doubt he'd leave us for that situation. I think to the clear upgrade situations for him, it wouldn't be enough even if he could convince them he wasn't the main issue at GT. Now if he strings together two NCAAT appearances next year and the year after and then looks to get out if we lose a lot in one year then maybe he could explain away the relative slow start to building the program.

I agree that he needs to have the program arc up in order to make a jump to a bigger/better program. So there is a lot of financial incentive for him to get the program to a better place.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My expectation is that Pastner will have though next season before he is in serious jeopardy.

GT didn't really have the money to fire Collins and hire a new HC for football and with all that money tied up it has even less money to make a change in MBB.

Unfortunately, GT's athletics are just in a poor place financially.

Pastner's contract is below the ACC median, so if we do make a move, i'd be surprised if it was for anything other than a young guy that we are just sort of hoping does well.