What's your game plan to beat UGA?

JacketFan137

Banned
We at least looked like we had a clue this year...especially the first half. UGA's defense this year was #1 overall again with a 1.45 DFEI ranking, compared to last year's historical 1.93. Keep in mind, our team had a coaching staff switch during the season, and played with a 3rd and 4th string QB.
yeah and yates was a backup as well and i think gibson is a better player. we definitely looked better and at least looked ready this year. just hard to compete with a team that has a 2 deep entirely made of 4/5* recruits with so many underclass men on our lines.

hopefully we close the gap some more this year and maybe by year 2/3 of key we can compete and give them a real game for four quarters

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah and yates was a backup as well and i think gibson is a better player. we definitely looked better and at least looked ready this year. just hard to compete with a team that has a 2 deep entirely made of 4/5* recruits with so many underclass men on our lines.

hopefully we close the gap some more this year and maybe by year 2/3 of key we can compete and give them a real game for four quarters
I read somewhere (it could’ve been here) that the current UGA roster has 66 4 and 5 stars. Have we even had 66 4 stars since the beginning of the rating system?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
We could try lowering our expectations of student athletes, or somehow get u(sic)ga to raise theirs 🙄. By that, I mean look at academic improvement rates, academic exceptions accepted to the team, or, most importantly, look at number of players arrested. For the latter, if my numbers are correct, Georgia has had more than twice as many players arrested in the last 36 months as GT has had in the last 36 years.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, playing them when they are undefeated is always going to be a challenge. For one - stating the obvious - they're probably pretty good when that's the case. But also they have a TON to play for. Upsets occur in sports all the time, but to me it feels like they happen most often when the more talented team doesn't have much skin in the game...meaning a win or a loss doesn't affect their season too much one way or another. So you put us in a scenario where a 1-2 loss uGA team is coming to Atlanta next year not vying for a playoff spot and I think we have a better chance.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
i get what carter was telling yates about being unprepared but i’m not sure any amount of preparation and coaching was gonna overcome the talent gap in the trenches lol

not sure there was any possible way we compete in that game without the uga offense gifting us 2 or more touchdowns off turnovers

We were pretty much unprepared Collins entire tenure. Yea, we weren't going to win this game regardless, but what he put out there was embarrassing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We were pretty much unprepared Collins entire tenure. Yea, we weren't going to win this game regardless, but what he put out there was embarrassing.

In HS, I played for powerhouse football program. We literally steamrolled our region every year. I don't think we lost a region game my entire 4 years there. State playoffs were a different story...

Anyhow, there were teams we played that we knew we were far more talented than, but they played hard with great fundamentals. Their coaches knew how to make the most of what they had...even if they didn't have much. Sure we would beat them by a lot, but it wasn't easy to get there, and we felt it after the final whistle.

Then there were teams that had some talent, but they had absolutely ZERO clue how to play as a team. Fundamentals were just terrible, coaches had players looking for the wrong keys and had trouble lining up in the right places every snap. Our coaches knew instantly how to take advantage of the disorganization. When we got up, that team pretty much quit and we would empty the bench by halftime.

I hate to say it, but that's what GT reminded me of the last 2 seasons. A team with some talent, but just had no clue what was going on...until Key took over. It still amazes me how we beat the breaks off of UNC then lose to a team like Citadel. Talent was not an issue with our team the last few years. Maybe against a team like UGA it was (as it was for all but a handful of teams in college), but not for the majority of our schedule.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In HS, I played for powerhouse football program. We literally steamrolled our region every year. I don't think we lost a region game my entire 4 years there. State playoffs were a different story...

Anyhow, there were teams we played that we knew we were far more talented than, but they played hard with great fundamentals. Their coaches knew how to make the most of what they had...even if they didn't have much. Sure we would beat them by a lot, but it wasn't easy to get there, and we felt it after the final whistle.

Then there were teams that had some talent, but they had absolutely ZERO clue how to play as a team. Fundamentals were just terrible, coaches had players looking for the wrong keys and had trouble lining up in the right places every snap. Our coaches knew instantly how to take advantage of the disorganization. When we got up, that team pretty much quit and we would empty the bench by halftime.

I hate to say it, but that's what GT reminded me of the last 2 seasons. A team with some talent, but just had no clue what was going on...until Key took over. It still amazes me how we beat the breaks off of UNC then lose to a team like Citadel. Talent was not an issue with our team the last few years. Maybe against a team like UGA it was (as it was for all but a handful of teams in college), but not for the majority of our schedule.
Nice post. I feel like Key will get whatever talent we have being aggressive and executing fundamentally sound techniques.

When we play other teams with better talent that is equally coached up, what' s the plan?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nice post. I feel like Key will get whatever talent we have being aggressive and executing fundamentally sound techniques.

When we play other teams with better talent that is equally coached up, what' s the plan?
No one has the answer to that. That's why the 3,4 or 5 coaches and schools at the top spend so much time, energy and $$$$ on making sure that they are not fighting with 1 hand tied behind their back.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
We at least looked like we had a clue this year...especially the first half. UGA's defense this year was #1 overall again with a 1.45 DFEI ranking, compared to last year's historical 1.93. Keep in mind, our team had a coaching staff switch during the season, and played with a 3rd and 4th string QB.

I think this year, we caught them by surprise the 1st half. Granted we played very well and we were all somewhat shocked. But, I believe UGA treated most of that game like a scrimmage because the previous 4 meetings had been blood baths over by halftime for the most part. You could tell they were going through the motions until they decided "OK, Tech came to play, time to turn it up a bit" and then score was 37-7 with us scoring against their 3rd stringers.

The first drive was great, then we dropped an easy catch for probably a big gainer or TD by our TE......After that, we didn't do much offensively.

Defense played amazing for 2.5 quarters before depth just wore us down.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No one has the answer to that. That's why the 3,4 or 5 coaches and schools at the top spend so much time, energy and $$$$ on making sure that they are not fighting with 1 hand tied behind their back.
The plan does not have to be - the perfect answer.

Telling the players to "make plays" is not a real plan u less the coaches can come up we some scheme adjustments.

We should have some substitutes who can smoothly execute the alternate scheme against expected alignments

For example ( this assume we have some depth at ol) go to wide gaps with tackle shifted over for big time strong line right. The oponents will be confusdd for a few plays. During that time this substitute group could run plays that are automatically run based on dl and lb position .

Coaches need to earn their pay - by getting something going. Then the players may have room to " make plays". Coaches coach then players play. When they are veterans and when uga is young, we best them.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
I think this year, we caught them by surprise the 1st half. Granted we played very well and we were all somewhat shocked. But, I believe UGA treated most of that game like a scrimmage because the previous 4 meetings had been blood baths over by halftime for the most part. You could tell they were going through the motions until they decided "OK, Tech came to play, time to turn it up a bit" and then score was 37-7 with us scoring against their 3rd stringers.

The first drive was great, then we dropped an easy catch for probably a big gainer or TD by our TE......After that, we didn't do much offensively.

Defense played amazing for 2.5 quarters before depth just wore us down.
that game was entirely won by recruiting. we had something going at the start but when uga just keeps trotting out fresh 5* talent on defense in the fourth and we’re gassed it’s hard to keep up. that’s typically where the factories are able to pull away from small schools when they give them a scare.

i know people want to hang on to looking competitive with them for a while as some sort of turning of the corner/thing to look forward to with key being so much better than collins but really the gap when from 100 miles to 99. don’t think we are close yet and it’s gonna take a few years of getting in good recruits and developing them so by their senior year we have an experienced and deep roster

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Trick plays.
I’m an auburn grad that was really excited about Brian Harsin when he was coming for trick plays. There’s a compilation of his stunts at Boise state. They took down giants with it. Ran zero trick plays at auburn.
I will not be answering any hugh freeze questions at this time.
Anyway, flea flickers, tight ends blocking downfield then looking for passes, Statue of Liberty, pass scrambles to the sideline with the option to
1. Run it
2. Throw it downfield
3. Throw back to the tailback center field with a parade of blockers

JacketFan137

Banned
We need for them to get fat and happy like a typical undisciplined Miami team and then punch them in the mouth with our solid hard-nosed team running on pure hater-aide
unfortunately i think kirby is too good of a coach and master manipulator (see uga player claiming “they said we were going 7-5” as the confetti fell down for the national championship). i don’t see them having a miami like collapse with him at the helm. if richt was there absolutely lol

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
unfortunately i think kirby is too good of a coach and master manipulator (see uga player claiming “they said we were going 7-5” as the confetti fell down for the national championship). i don’t see them having a miami like collapse with him at the helm. if richt was there absolutely lol
Well we can hope lol, starting to see a few chinks in the armor with all the arrests as of late

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Increase road blocks around Athens after midnight, patrol Waffle Houses at night, and plant officers in nightclubs.....for starters, and afterwards, resurrect Jan Kemp.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
1. First, out-recruit them. Recruit more 4- and 5-stars than them, and handle and treat them as athletes, not “student-athletes.” (Just like Alabama does.)

2. Second, out-coach them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Bingo. It's like Pastner says: "Get old and stay old." This is the formula for a school like Tech: find good players, redshirt them until they a) learn what they are doing and b) have picked up a few gray hairs. Then and only then can we start to play against Ugag with a good prospect for success. That will mean some time and fewer wins until we get old. Then, if it turns out Key has the eye for talent and knows how to develop it (biggggg question), we can start to think about whipping the dogs.

Btw, when Pastner got the team he wanted we a) won 17 regular season games and the ACC and b) went to the Big Show and made the Sweet 16. The formula works.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. It's like Pastner says: "Get old and stay old." This is the formula for a school like Tech: find good players, redshirt them until they a) learn what they are doing and b) have picked up a few gray hairs. Then and only then can we start to play against Ugag with a good prospect for success. That will mean some time and fewer wins until we get old. Then, if it turns out Key has the eye for talent and knows how to develop it (biggggg question), we can start to think about whipping the dogs.

Btw, when Pastner got the team he wanted we a) won 17 regular season games and the ACC and b) went to the Big Show and made the Sweet 16. The formula works.
Sweet 16 under Pastner? You been drinking? Lost the opening game!