What Wrinkle will CPJ Throw In?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we see a lot of Belly plays if ND plays with the safety in the box like they did against Navy. As far as a wrinkle we may see the shuffle pass, or the power I.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Gotta think CPJ motioning the AB into a trips formation on the other side during the Tulane game was a dog and pony show for BVG and other coaches to spend a few precious hours dissecting during game week. Seriously, why the heck does CPJ need to get fancy against Tulane? We could have ran our base balance formation and run Tulane ragged all day long.

If there's one thing we know about CPJ, if he runs a wrinkle one game, odds are very slim we see it the next game. I'm still waiting for him to run the play where the QB throws to the back side of the counter motion. Tevin to Stephen Hill against UNC in 2011. Hill had no one in the same zip code as him...then preceded to drop the pass...but that's another story...
I think you misunderstood me. The trips formation wasn't a wrinkle for Tulane. I think the wrinkle is coming THIS weekend out of that formation. Or maybe we don't see that formation at all. As CPJ likes to say "We're gonna find out this weekend."

I do know that he used trips against FSU in '08 and then again in '09. His post game comment in '09 was "we ran that last year with some success so I figured they would prepare for it. This year we added a wrinkle and they never adjusted." He chuckled when he said that.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't predict the wrinkle unless you can predict the defensive alignment. They've got some mighty fast folks around the perimeter and secondary. My naieve guess is we probe for advantage with close sets, then strike with some midline. On the other hand, maybe with Skov in there we play called dives and a cloud of dust.

I may have no idea what the wrinkle is, but my bet is it comes in the middle.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My question is - do Kelley and Foster like each other...

Doesnt matter. We share the same general O scheme as navy. Nd does not share the same concepts or D or personel philosophy as VT.

Not apples to apples. If nd changes their d the week of our game they are in bigtime trouble

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My question is - do Kelley and Foster like each other...
Foster from past comments has a high regard for Johnson offensively. But I suspect it is the enemy-of-my-enemy type of friend thing so if Van Gorder asks anything VT will help. But everything Foster does is right there on the video and it gives Tech fits. The question is does ND have the athletes for that very aggressive, attacking defense. I am not smart enough to dissect it, but DCs are. Well, supposed to be.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, maybe with Skov in there we play called dives and a cloud of dust.
One has to believe that at some point in the game CPJ is just going to see how many times he can run the dive in a row just to see how Notre Dame handles the physicality of the thing. Woe to them if they show any weakness.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Wrinkle is we run a physical offense and its hard to prepare for we going to hit em the mouth for 60 minutes lets see if they can hold up if they do they win... if they dont HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA and yes am going to be there lets be loud GT let the boys know we are there......wish we could greet them when they get off bus!!!

One of the things I love the most about following this team is seeing the wrinkles that CPJ pulls out of the war chest in a given week. Any predictions? I have no clue what he is cooking up. In our last two FBS level games we have seen a bunch of the unbalanced line with the playside OG pulling to the strong side. Enough so, that ND will have to spend some time preparing for that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if CPJ were to pull that back and go to something he hasn't used in a while instead. Load Option possibly? Thoughts?
Miami game 2008. Nesbitt with quick passes to the sideline to Thomas . Small gains, but spread the Miami defense. They had come to the game schooled to play assignment defense, had to change and revert to trusting their instincts and reacting---the absolute death knell for any defense going against Paul Johnson's offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think you misunderstood me. The trips formation wasn't a wrinkle for Tulane. I think the wrinkle is coming THIS weekend out of that formation. Or maybe we don't see that formation at all. As CPJ likes to say "We're gonna find out this weekend."

I do know that he used trips against FSU in '08 and then again in '09. His post game comment in '09 was "we ran that last year with some success so I figured they would prepare for it. This year we added a wrinkle and they never adjusted." He chuckled when he said that.

I was simply making an observation on what CPJ did against Tulane...independent of your post. Technically, GT is pretty much in "twins" formation in our base alignment as the AB is a de-facto slot receiver. So we pretty much run twins to both sides of the formation. CPJ motioned the other AB to the opposite side making it trips to the motion side, and instead of running out of that formation like we usually do, we ran a pass out of it. You may not consider it "trips" since people are use to "static" 3 WRs out of one side for trips, but for all intents and purposes, it's trips to that side.

My point is, it's not something we see much of...motioning the opposite AB to the play side and actually passing out of it. CPJ usually doesn't repeat little "wrinkles" like that in consecutive weeks.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Tulane game wasn't both AB's on one side. The WR were both on the same side and one of the AB's stepped up onto the LOS. This is not really "trips" but is called an "over" formation. Trips is when both slots (AB's in our offense) are on the same side with a WR.

Semantics, I guess, but I have to assume there is a difference for CPJ and the plays we run out of each.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Tulane game wasn't both AB's on one side. The WR were both on the same side and one of the AB's stepped up onto the LOS. This is not really "trips" but is called an "over" formation. Trips is when both slots (AB's in our offense) are on the same side with a WR.

Semantics, I guess, but I have to assume there is a difference for CPJ and the plays we run out of each.
I'm pretty sure we showed both of these formations last week

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any wrinkle would probably be in the passing area I would guess. UVa averaged 7.6 yards per pass attempt and 4.2 per rush last week against ND.

So maybe more passing while starting of looking like the standard pitch.

What I really want to see is a JT pitch past the LOS back to a trailing AB (Snoddy) who kicks in the after burners.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Any wrinkle would probably be in the passing area I would guess. UVa averaged 7.6 yards per pass attempt and 4.2 per rush last week against ND.

So maybe more passing while starting of looking like the standard pitch.

What I really want to see is a JT pitch past the LOS back to a trailing AB (Snoddy) who kicks in the after burners.
We did get a forward pass pitch last week when Snoddy got out ahead of JT on the edge, but JT was still behind the line. The announcers mentioned that it was scored as a pass...nice, especially if you drop the pitch!