What Wrinkle will CPJ Throw In?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the things I love the most about following this team is seeing the wrinkles that CPJ pulls out of the war chest in a given week. Any predictions? I have no clue what he is cooking up. In our last two FBS level games we have seen a bunch of the unbalanced line with the playside OG pulling to the strong side. Enough so, that ND will have to spend some time preparing for that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if CPJ were to pull that back and go to something he hasn't used in a while instead. Load Option possibly? Thoughts?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I love the most about following this team is seeing the wrinkles that CPJ pulls out of the war chest in a given week. Any predictions? I have no clue what he is cooking up. In our last two FBS level games we have seen a bunch of the unbalanced line with the playside OG pulling to the strong side. Enough so, that ND will have to spend some time preparing for that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if CPJ were to pull that back and go to something he hasn't used in a while instead. Load Option possibly? Thoughts?

I read a write-up from Navy Birddog a few years ago that in the preceding weeks leading up to a big game, CPJ likes to put on tape obvious wrinkles to alignment and schemes just to make the DCs spend more time preparing for it wasting precious time and reps. Not only does CPJ like to think 2-3 moves ahead in a game, he likes to think far into the future in anticipation of big matchups.

I think that's the fun part of having CPJ as a coach. There's always a game within a game going on with what he does. We don't always see the payoff immediately, but when we realize it, it's pretty cool.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The can't cover the offense in space so they will blitz with emphasis of hitting qb.

We will counter with back shoulder pass to right side wide receiver. Then we will run same play with a called counter run by JeT to wide side. Marshall (bb) rocket toss with flow right but toss left.

Or whatever coach thinks.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see a toss to marshall and then him throw it down field or even run the option and have marshall a little deeper than normal and have jt pitch it then marshall throw it down field. Imagine doing that the first play of our offensive series against ND for a TD. I also don't think I have seen the fake ab toss with the other ab coming back the other way and getting the ball between the guard and tackle this year.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think we will see a wrinkle out of that trips alignment we saw against Tulane. Or maybe he just did that to mess with BVG as @Techster suggests.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The best thing about this offense is that it is so hard to predict. I watch a ton of football and can occasionally predict plays that the teams are gonna run in certain situations whether it be a screen or a draw or a QB run but I usually have no clue what play we're gonna run in any situation.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see a toss to marshall and then him throw it dI'll bet you own field or even run the option and have marshall a little deeper than normal and have jt pitch it then marshall throw it down field. Imagine doing that the first play of our offensive series against ND for a TD. I also don't think I have seen the fake ab toss with the other ab coming back the other way and getting the ball between the guard and tackle this year.
I would bet almost anything we will run the Aback counter. for two reasons - the defense I expect to see from Van Gorder will leave that play wide open with no linemen over the guard and his defense will be flowing hard to the ball which this counter works well against. Navy used it on them several times last year.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not knowledgeable enough to appreciate the wrinkles CPJ may implement. I fancy myself logical enough to think that there was a reason for the triple option being used to run short side a couple of times with the three wideouts, and to think that the reason for that lineup had nothing to do with the first drive of the Tulane game, and more to do with the future. So, I would not be surprised to see a wrinkle or 2, 3 or 4, sequentially as adjustments are made defensively, using that formation. Or not.

I think an a-back pass in this offense is more of a one-time pony than what I would consider a wrinkle. I suppose if some unique set of circumstances arose then PJ could implement it for a play, but not more. I would think there would have to be a fairly specific defensive alignment, together with a predictable tendency in order to make calling that play sensible. No one reasonable wants to have an a-back throw a pass for anything less than a meaningful touchdown, and I just can't see many risk-reward scenarios where that call makes sense at the same time the defense and predictable tendency all align. It's not like this is a high school offense, after all.

If GT is unsuccessful at what it does best on Saturday, it is unlikely to win and if it is successful, it is likely to win, or at least that is my take. Believe me, I get as carried away as the next guy, but about Tuesday evening I sober up and am reminded of how much better it is to be excited about a game week than not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gotta think CPJ motioning the AB into a trips formation on the other side during the Tulane game was a dog and pony show for BVG and other coaches to spend a few precious hours dissecting during game week. Seriously, why the heck does CPJ need to get fancy against Tulane? We could have ran our base balance formation and run Tulane ragged all day long.

If there's one thing we know about CPJ, if he runs a wrinkle one game, odds are very slim we see it the next game. I'm still waiting for him to run the play where the QB throws to the back side of the counter motion. Tevin to Stephen Hill against UNC in 2011. Hill had no one in the same zip code as him...then preceded to drop the pass...but that's another story...

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we might see some weird formations, perhaps trips with 2 Abs and a WR on a single side. I expect we'll motion in and out of that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 4 wide passing formation that starts as normal veer and the A-backs move out wide. If they are playing 8 in the box, I can easily see shifts in and out wide in order to make them change defensive alignments. I doubt CPJ will let them stick 8 in the box without making them adjust out wide.

On defense, I expect to see Whitehead and a lot of other surprises. I won't be surprised if our basic 4 man rush looks a lot better. I think we've been saving some things for this game. On top of that, I know we'll be doing plenty of stunts to confuse this new QB on coverages.

Basically, I think we've been playing with one hand behind our backs these first 2 games. ND is going to have to make some adjustments on the fly.