What would it take for you to be satisfied

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What would it take for you to be satisfied with CPJ give the support of the school?

9-11 win seasons? An occasional top end bowl? Seldom dropping below 7 win seasons?

Do you expect 12 and 0 and a run at the national title every year? Are you in reality acting like a Dawg fan?

I can say I would like to see a little more excellence/less mistakes on offense. I would like to see a consistent top 40 defense. But we are competitive in most games and very seldom an easy win.

I guess... what would it take for you to be satisfied given the commitment of the school in resources. Or can you admit that you hate this offense and will never be satisfied and or perhaps you felt the same 8 years ago?

What would it take for you to be satisfied with CPJ give the support of the school?

9-11 win seasons? An occasional top end bowl? Seldom dropping below 7 win seasons?

Do you expect 12 and 0 and a run at the national title every year? Are you in reality acting like a Dawg fan?

I can say I would like to see a little more excellence/less mistakes on offense. I would like to see a consistent top 40 defense. But we are competitive in most games and very seldom an easy win.

I guess... what would it take for you to be satisfied given the commitment of the school in resources. Or can you admit that you hate this offense and will never be satisfied and or perhaps you felt the same 8 years ago?
Having been a contributor and season ticket holder since the late 60s, I can say that I support the school / team / coaches no matter what. If I could continue my support through the 80s and early 90s, I'm certainly not quitting now. Am I always satisfied? Obviously, no. But my lack of satisfaction does not keep me from contributing and buying tickets and proudly supporting them.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

If I did not give up on this team during the late 70s and the infamous Bill Lewis era then there is no turning back. Whatever our problems now, and they may seem considerable, they utterly pale in comparison to what Homer Rice and Bill Curry faced in the late 70s and early 80s. Quite frankly, we were a hair's breadth away from becoming a division II school. It was that bad. My expectations are therefore, relatively modest: A winning season, a bowl game somewhere and every once in a while a 2014 season of magic. Given the current recruiting restrictions, the lack of institutional support from the Hill and various other impediments both large and small it is incumbent upon the fan base to recognize that we will never be a factory like Alabama or UGA but we can and should have good football that is competitive and entertaining. Not as specific as some would want but there is my two cents.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Man I am already satisfied with CPJ and his staff. I really like Dedrick Mills, I appreciate how they recruited Travis Custis, and Myles Autry... Not their fault... I hate we are young at OL ( I hate Chris Griffin had to medical, and Gary Brown transferred do to grades and is going from STEM to Art major), but man we are going to be awesome the next few years, Matt Jordan is going to be loving life on the Flats...

I really like the defense, again we are young, but AJ Gray and C. Campbell or J Cole is going to be great... Step and Lamont will be great... I like the Swilling kid coming in at LB and the Depth there, and B Adams looks to be like Vance Walker.... It appears we are young... So I would like to make a bowl... Beat Georgia and finish with 7 or 8 wins this year and make a run at the Coastal next year...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The problem may be rooted in the fact that we pay these coaches way too much money. Last year we paid PJ $1M per win. For that kind of money people expect results. I would be content if we were a winning program (above .500) and a really good year every 3 to 4 years. I am not happy with a 3 win season and one of those wins was a gimme. I would have expected a more stable program after 7 years than that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Next year will be the telling year for PJ. This is a fairly young team and a lot of young guys are starters. The key will be the new QB. So far MJ is not getting any PT. We all thought last year with a returning OL and QB were going to be the strength of the team but something was amiss with the OL missing assignments. I am not sure we can assume these young players will be that much better next year in the same system we currently have. I have seen a lot of the same problems for several years now.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Man I am already satisfied with CPJ and his staff. I really like Dedrick Mills, I appreciate how they recruited Travis Custis, and Myles Autry... Not their fault... I hate we are young at OL ( I hate Chris Griffin had to medical, and Gary Brown transferred do to grades and is going from STEM to Art major), but man we are going to be awesome the next few years, Matt Jordan is going to be loving life on the Flats...

I really like the defense, again we are young, but AJ Gray and C. Campbell or J Cole is going to be great... Step and Lamont will be great... I like the Swilling kid coming in at LB and the Depth there, and B Adams looks to be like Vance Walker.... It appears we are young... So I would like to make a bowl... Beat Georgia and finish with 7 or 8 wins this year and make a run at the Coastal next year...
I agree with the first Paragraph but not the second just have not been happy with the D this year. Hope it gets better.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I will never be satisfied. That is the bottom line. It is really not a question of that. No matter where you are, you have to get better.

200_s.gif

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One of the things that I have always looked for in a team, coach or program (aside from the W-L thing of course) is a sense of improvement over the course of a season. I always appreciate a team that is better in November than it was in September. Or, in BB, one that plays better in March than in December. That to me is a sign of good coaching and building a foundation/enthusiasm for the next season. Even though 8-4 is a bit pedestrian,I think a 5-1 run over the second half would make the final record a bit more satisfying. (For most of us...some seem to never be satisfied).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am not satisfied, but it has absolutely nothing to di with disliking the offense per se. I love dit when it first came in and was a strong supporter. I felt that the concept that we needed to do something different to give us an edge,however small, was necessary and an excellent antidote to the stiflingly boring NFL style offense we had under Gailey. Which I did truly hate.

But, I feel we really are not competitive with the top teams we play. The so-called Power 4 (Miami, UGa, VT, and Clemson) have owned us. To be competitive, one has to win some...I don't know...maybe 1/3 of the time..something like that? Our record agains them:
2016 0-2
2015 0-4
2014 Exception
2013 0-4
2012 0-4
2011 1-3
2010 0-4

From 2009 and prior under CPJ, we were highly competitive with the Power 4 teams on our schedule, but since 2010, with the exception of one magical year, we have NOT been competitive.

I do NOT blame CPJ per se and am NOT in favor of his ouster. I do blame the leadership...whether it be the Hill under Peterson or the AA under ??, I am too far removed to say. I do have my criticisms of CPJ, but I am rapidly losing my interest in the program based on this run of frustration. One competitive year in seven does not cut it for me.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
T
I am not satisfied, but it has absolutely nothing to di with disliking the offense per se. I love dit when it first came in and was a strong supporter. I felt that the concept that we needed to do something different to give us an edge,however small, was necessary and an excellent antidote to the stiflingly boring NFL style offense we had under Gailey. Which I did truly hate.

But, I feel we really are not competitive with the top teams we play. The so-called Power 4 (Miami, UGa, VT, and Clemson) have owned us. To be competitive, one has to win some...I don't know...maybe 1/3 of the time..something like that? Our record agains them:
2016 0-2
2015 0-4
2014 Exception
2013 0-4
2012 0-4
2011 1-3
2010 0-4

From 2009 and prior under CPJ, we were highly competitive with the Power 4 teams on our schedule, but since 2010, with the exception of one magical year, we have NOT been competitive.

I do NOT blame CPJ per se and am NOT in favor of his ouster. I do blame the leadership...whether it be the Hill under Peterson or the AA under ??, I am too far removed to say. I do have my criticisms of CPJ, but I am rapidly losing my interest in the program based on this run of frustration. One competitive year in seven does not cut it for me.
but now Duke, Pitt and UNC are in there so it's now the Power 7 that we will struggle against.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
My satisfaction level with CPJ will improve with the return of a dominant offensive attack. Last year we ranked 80th in total offense, this year we rank 114th (ouch, it hurt to type that!). I don't expect every year to be at 2009 or 2014 level production (which were both elite in my mind), but I do expect to be the top 30 type offensive team that we have been under CPJ since before the Notre Dame game last year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Next year will be the telling year for PJ. This is a fairly young team and a lot of young guys are starters. The key will be the new QB. So far MJ is not getting any PT. We all thought last year with a returning OL and QB were going to be the strength of the team but something was amiss with the OL missing assignments. I am not sure we can assume these young players will be that much better next year in the same system we currently have. I have seen a lot of the same problems for several years now.
Next year scares me. I said in another post in a different thread we have a lot coming back but the lack of playing time for Jordan or Marshall scares the hell out of me. That first game against Tennessee in prime time in front of a national audience could get really ugly and hurt the program even more in the eyes of recruits and national perception. It's a similar situation to 2014,almost identical, with an inexperienced JT coming in, but with the way Oline and D coaching is looking I don't see that happening.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
For me it will it first winning games that should be winnable, getting this offense / defense back on track and either beating UGA or winning a bowl. I know CPJ can field a Top 10 team and while graduating these kids. If he can field that again I will be extremely satisfied. Lastly I just want to see the death march again.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

2016 0-2
2015 0-4
2014 Exception
2013 0-4
2012 0-4
2011 1-3
2010 0-4

Is it 5W/28 L in 6.5 years?
That sucks.
If we hope to get to 50% ee need to aim higher. The offense is not the problem to be solved.
Just a better than average defense and we are going to be very good.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I mean I thought this year would be anywhere from 5 wins to 9 wins. We're still on track for a bowl which is all I really care about. Next year I'll reevaluate.