What would/does Key have to say about the OL?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are actually getting better every game on the OL. We're still not very good and I think the body types will look much different a few years down the road.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We are actually getting better every game on the OL. We're still not very good and I think the body types will look much different a few years down the road.

Speaking of down the road...next year it looks like we lose Morgan and Southers to graduation, and we could lose Cooper and Lee unless they redshirt and come back for one more year. Is that right? Especially if we lose Cooper and/or Lee, we're going to have to hope we get some fresh recruits to break ATL next year. Hate to say it but our situation doesn't improve much on the OL until 2021 at the earliest, unless we get some very unexpected transfer help.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of down the road...next year it looks like we lose Morgan and Southers to graduation, and we could lose Cooper and Lee unless they redshirt and come back for one more year. Is that right? Especially if we lose Cooper and/or Lee, we're going to have to hope we get some fresh recruits to break ATL next year. Hate to say it but our situation doesn't improve much on the OL until 2021 at the earliest, unless we get some very unexpected transfer help.
Yeah, I've done the same math and come to the same conclusion. If the limiting factor of our team is truly the men in the trenches (at least for the system we are presently running), then we aren't going to be competitive until 2021 at the earliest. Maybe we should all hibernate until then. :)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You’re right, it does go deeper than size. But to say Key has size to work with now is crazy. Size relative to the average human? Absolutely. Size relative to the average Power 5 lineman? No shot. Just take a look at any other team’s roster and take note on how many OL the have listed at 6’4” 310+, and then look at what Tech has listed. I’m not talking about Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, etc. when I say look at other teams. I’m talking about Duke, UNC, UVA, Pitt, etc. Tech’s line is much closer to that of Temple or Army than it is to even UNC.

my want to look at that Temple OL again? We’re closer to Army or KSU

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Whether we lose any OL. I expect a 2 True Fresh to play next yr on the OLine.

Either Rankins or Williams at RT and Kootsourdis at C
After seeing UNC young, big OL I’m totaling done with young guys there

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
From the program at the Tech - Carolina game, here are the numbers for linemen.

Georgia Tech
Offensive Guard
C Hanson 6-2 314
J DeFoor 6-5 305
Offensive Tackle
J Southers 6-5 310
Z Quinney 6-6 295

Carolina
Offensive Guard
E Montilis 6-3 315
M McKethan 6-7 332
Offensive Tackle
J Tucker 6-7 335
J Ezeudu 6-4 325

I'm not seeing such a glaring difference. What am I missing?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

Georgia Tech
Offensive Guard
C Hanson 6-2 314
J DeFoor 6-5 305
Offensive Tackle
J Southers 6-5 310
Z Quinney 6-6 295

Carolina
Offensive Guard
E Montilis 6-3 315
M McKethan 6-7 332
Offensive Tackle
J Tucker 6-7 335
J Ezeudu 6-4 325

Besides the 30 lb difference? And height, and wingspans? Idk i cant find one either

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Georgia Tech
Offensive Guard
C Hanson 6-2 314
J DeFoor 6-5 305
Offensive Tackle
J Southers 6-5 310
Z Quinney 6-6 295

Carolina
Offensive Guard
E Montilis 6-3 315
M McKethan 6-7 332
Offensive Tackle
J Tucker 6-7 335
J Ezeudu 6-4 325

The UNC line is bigger but size doesn't tell the whole story. As I recall, Elon had a mammoth offensive line last year. It's also about mobility, ability, and strength.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
If you total the weights for all, there is an 83 lb difference.

Folks on this board are talking like there is a huge discrepancy. Heights are relatively the same and I have no measurement of wingspan. So no, I do not see a big difference. Yes, overall a small advantage Carolina, but to make it sound like Carolina dwarfs Techs line is deceiving.

Skill level is altogether another matter.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
If you total the weights for all, there is an 83 lb difference.

Folks on this board are talking like there is a huge discrepancy. Heights are relatively the same and I have no measurement of wingspan. So no, I do not see a big difference. Yes, overall a small advantage Carolina, but to make it sound like Carolina dwarfs Techs line is deceiving.

Skill level is altogether another matter.

21 pounds and 2 inches is a big difference. Go find someone 2 inches taller and 21 pounds heavier than you. See how pushes the other a half-step backwards first.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
21 pounds and 2 inches is a big difference. Go find someone 2 inches taller and 21 pounds heavier than you. See how pushes the other a half-step backwards first.

Granted, but not every position has that edge. Depending on how you cut the data note that individuals such as DeFoor is taller than Montilis.

Just to clarify, when the comments were made that Carolina line was so much bigger I looked it up and was surprised how big the Tech line was compared to Carolina.

I know that Johnson did not recruit the biggest OL.