What would/does Key have to say about the OL?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I would love to have a update from Key on the status of the development of the OL roster. I wonder what the most urgent need is in the development of the OL game at this point is? Where is the most growth coming from?
Who are his biggest TARGETS for the 2020 recruiting class? How many OL guys will we sign for next year? I am curious about how well he meshes with Coach P and his offensive play calling?
Key has been so passionate about his return to GT. I hope this season is proving to be his laying of the foundation of building a great reputation for the development of the OL tradition of having great OL seek out GT as the place to be.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, outside of maybe Quinney, anyone he’s working with now now probably isn’t in any sort of long term vision for the OL. Next year is more of the foundational year, when he starts working sigh ~7 true freshman OL that have the size he is looking for.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He isn't allowed to say anything about recruiting. We have 6 OL committed and we may or may not get one more. As far as the progress of the current guys, we can basically see improvement here and there, but I doubt we get any consistency anytime soon.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pretty impressed with the job he's doing. Some of these guys have never played a down of college football and none of them have play together more than a couple of games. Pretty good when you consider everything. CPJ had a lot of good lines but my favorite was, " nobody wants to hear about the labor pains, just so me the baby." So true.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, outside of maybe Quinney, anyone he’s working with now now probably isn’t in any sort of long term vision for the OL. Next year is more of the foundational year, when he starts working sigh ~7 true freshman OL that have the size he is looking for.

Size is probably not the most accurate assessment. I would be more inclined to say style. He has size now. But the structure or physical makeup of the lineman, the propensity to both pass and run block efficiently is what he is going after. Case in point, Connor Hansen is obviously built to block in the option style offense as are others. We are now recruiting a different brand of lineman and it goes deeper than size.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Size is probably not the most accurate assessment. I would be more inclined to say style. He has size now. But the structure or physical makeup of the lineman, the propensity to both pass and run block efficiently is what he is going after. Case in point, Connor Hansen is obviously built to block in the option style offense as are others. We are now recruiting a different brand of lineman and it goes deeper than size.
You’re right, it does go deeper than size. But to say Key has size to work with now is crazy. Size relative to the average human? Absolutely. Size relative to the average Power 5 lineman? No shot. Just take a look at any other team’s roster and take note on how many OL the have listed at 6’4” 310+, and then look at what Tech has listed. I’m not talking about Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, etc. when I say look at other teams. I’m talking about Duke, UNC, UVA, Pitt, etc. Tech’s line is much closer to that of Temple or Army than it is to even UNC.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Body type is big. You want guys with long arms and strong bases if you are going to pass protect. We have a bunch of short kids with flat asses to be honest.

Get a good frame and the staff will build strength on it—at least that’s the plan.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The new S and C coach will earn his check in the off season.

Seems to me we often recruit potential for linemen. The already developed guys are scooped up by the Clemsons and Georgias. We have to project what they'll look like in a couple of years.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To be a great offensive linemen you have to have a mean streak and an attitude of, "I am going to beat the hell of the guy in front of me and drive his arse down the field and then plant it." We have had a few like that, Shaq Mason, Parker Braun and Shaun Bedford in recent times. When I look out there this year, I don't see any of that.

Go Jackets!

GTFLETCH

Banned
I thought The OL played Decent agaisnt DUKE... I mean JPM had over 100 yards.... The Offense scored.... The issue to me was the Defense is playing worse than the OL... While The OL still has a ways to go, it is outplaying the entire Defense! IMHO

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought The OL played Decent agaisnt DUKE... I mean JPM had over 100 yards.... The Offense scored.... The issue to me was the Defense is playing worse than the OL... While The OL still has a ways to go, it is outplaying the entire Defense! IMHO

Cannot find a source for JP's YAC, but it was considerable. We also gave up TFLs on 10/66 snaps. 4 of those were sacks that were not coverage induced. Obviously there are a host of causes for the good and the bad, and the OL keeps improving with great effort, but they are just mismatched in some situations.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
He will only say good things - we’re getting better, we’re hustling, we’re almost “there” - but what he’s thinking is probably quite a different story.