What was the first GT and Non-GT football game that you attended?

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My first GT game was fall 1971, GT-Michigan State. Me, a brand new Rat, sittin' in those damn wooden bleachers we used to have on the track during football season. Bud Carson's defense kicked Sparty's butt.

First non-GT college football game was a surreal experience, indeed - the Big12 Championship game about 20 years ago. Texas A&M versus Nebraska, and the Huskers were enroute to a Natty. I had seats in the Nebraska section, and let me tell y'all, the Children Of The Corn are a CULT. Everybody knew everybody, everybody wore red, and the standard greeting and good-bye was, "Go big red." And they expected Nebraska to drive right down the field for six every time they got their mutts on the ball. Huskers damn near did so - I think the final score was 52-14 Huskers. Egad. The real Big Red Machine.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Been sitting here trying to remember my first Tech game but I was way too young to remember it as it would have been in September 1957 after I was born in December the prior year! My folks were avid Tech fans and I've no doubt I got toted along as a baby :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: First pro game was 1966 season Falcons vs Colts

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
My first GT game (that I actually remember) was 1999 against UNC at BDS. We won in OT I believe 31-24. I think I was 7 about to turn 8 years old. Fun game. I'm pretty sure UNC sucked that year, and we should have beaten them badly, but a win is a win. My first non GT college football game and non Braves game was probably 2003 Mississippi State vs Oregon in Starkville. After moving to Alabama when I was 10 I unfortunately went to a lot of MSU, Alabama, and Auburn games... but I always stayed true to my GT roots.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I may have missed some posts but was anyone’s first GT game a loss? Either GT has won a LOT of games over the years or you only end up on GT Swarm, and maybe a lifelong fan, if your first game was a W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
First GT was October 24th vs FSU on Family day. Went with the family to see my sister (02 AE) and was hooked. one of only 3 GT losses I've witnessed in person against a great many wins.
My first GT road game was 9/11 2004 in Death Valley watching Calvin Johnson's legend being born!
First bowl game was 2008 Peach Bowl. "And that's all I got to say about that."

First non GT game was a Paulson Stadium in the early 90's watching the Georgia Southern Eagles beat the snot out of some one while my only focus was getting a pizza box from the concession stand so I could slide down the hill like dozens of other kids.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
My first GT game (besides when I played at UGA ) was Ray Golfs last game at GT. Me and a friend snuck into the stadium, walked in with the team. We walked around the field during warmups until a police officer asked to see our passes. No tickets or anything. We spent the rest of the game in the stands. It was Thanksgiving Day. I never went to a college game until I was in college. It was "deer season" :)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure my first game was the 1962 LSU game. I would have been 5 at the time. The 1965 Navy game is one I remember best because we scored so much and I was following the Tech players by then and we ultimately beat Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
My first GT game (besides when I played at UGA ) was Ray Golfs last game at GT. Me and a friend snuck into the stadium, walked in with the team. We walked around the field during warmups until a police officer asked to see our passes. No tickets or anything. We spent the rest of the game in the stands. It was Thanksgiving Day. I never went to a college game until I was in college. It was "deer season" :)
When your son is playing it trumps anything but these days deer hunting in the morning and a wide screen TV game midday it hard to beat.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What was the first Georgia Tech and Non-Georgia Tech football game that you attended? The first GT game that i attended was GT's 48-3 win over The Citadel on September 22nd 1984. Someone i knew had a friend that worked in Grant Field and got me and my friend a couple of student tickets to the game:cool: The first Non-GT games that i attended were the November 21st 1976 17-10 win by the Falcons over the Dallas Cowboys in Tommy Nobis last season(he returned an interception for a touchdown:cool:) and i went to see Tennessee beat New Mexico 31-6 on September 10th 1983,

My first GT game was vs Alabama in 1979 and Pepper Rodgers last season as coach. Non GT games were Saints games in New Orleans.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
First game was at Vanderbilt and it must have been 1957 or 1958. They were playing Kentucky. My father took me to the game and I remember it was really cold. Ironically my first Tech game was against Vanderbilt in 1964 and it was really hot.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
First Tech game was the 1966 Orange Bowl against Steve Spirrier and UF. All I remember is Tech scored first but eventually lost. First no -tech game was a falcons preseason game, probably in 77 or 78 at Atlanta Fulton Co stadium.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First tech game was the 65 tie w Vandy.
First Game besides Tech was rivalry game w U of Texas at Texas A M. Buddy was a former corp of cadets leader- got great seats - the aggies had a good team but texas was heavily favored. We were pretty lubricated but iirc
The aggies were fired up but the returner fumbled the ball tried to run out and fumbled again and texas recovered in endzone. On next kick off same thing but got out to 4 or 5. on first SNAP they fumbled and texas recovered in end zone. Got drunk and have never really rooted for aggies. Only one team can break my heart. Go Jackets

slugboy

Staff member
I attended a Pepper Rodgers game--probably his last year. I don't remember the team or the score, but we were out of it in the first half. BDS was kind of a sad place, then. I was a young kid, but we'd gotten used to not being relevant, and Curry did manage to turn that around.
My first non-Tech game was a Falcons game with Steve Bartkowski. I don't think we won that one either. :sick:

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the 1946 Tech-Auburn game was my first (I was a first grader), and my father, a Tech man, drove us down from Winston-Salem on game day. The car broke down in North Georgia, but we still managed to arrive in time to see most of the game, won by Tech. That was a long drive, well before the Interstate highway system was in place. We got up really early that morning.
The first non-Tech game I can recall (vaguely) was a Charlotte Clippers minor league pro game in '47 (they played one game that year before the demise of the Dixie League) or in '48 (as an independent).

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I may have missed some posts but was anyone’s first GT game a loss? Either GT has won a LOT of games over the years or you only end up on GT Swarm, and maybe a lifelong fan, if your first game was a W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first game was in 1979 against Auburn at Grant Field. We got flat out manhandled, 38-14, however my fellow rats were able to get the tail off the Auburn Tiger mascot. Pepper Rodgers was fired at the end of the year.

My first game ever was a CFL game in Toronto where the Toronto Argonauts played the Hamilton Tiger-cats sometime in the early '70's.