What was the first GT and Non-GT football game that you attended?

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
1966, Tech was playing Navy in a regular season game at the gator bowl. Tech won, but a very boring game. What made it worse was my alma mater, Albany High School had played valdosta that same night, scoring a TD with no time on the clock at the end of the half, and then scoring the winning TD at the end of the game, again with no time on the clock. Bummer I missed that one!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Oct. 14, 1961: GT vs Puke. GT won 21 - 0. Duke used the "Lonesome End" formation. The player was Jay Wilkinson - the son of Oklahoma legend Bud Wilkinson. I remember being awestruck by the crowd and the Gold & White unis!

First Non GT game was a pro exhibition when ATL was trying to get a pro team. If memory serves it was between Cowboys and Vikings, but not sure.

Do know for certain the game was played at Grady HS stadium! Unreal.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
1966, Tech was playing Navy in a regular season game at the gator bowl. Tech won, but a very boring game. What made it worse was my alma mater, Albany High School had played valdosta that same night, scoring a TD with no time on the clock at the end of the half, and then scoring the winning TD at the end of the game, again with no time on the clock. Bummer I missed that one!
Beating Valdosta back then was a great accomplishment

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
My first cfb game was 9/2/1995 as Tennessee took on East Carolina in Neyland Stadium, my second was the following week when the Vols stomped on the Dawgs guided by John Hall's foot. I have long held vitriol for the pups.

My first GT game was 9/5/2009 against Jacksonville State as s RAT. Game two was 5 days later in a shellacking of Clemson with one of the best fake field goals of all time.

I'd like to add that I can't recall going to any other college football game that didn't include Tennessee or GT unless a friend took me to a Memphis Tigers game in the 90s. That would make this year's planned FSU vs CU game the first non Vol/Jacket game I will have attended in person.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Valdosta beat Marietta 14-3 for the State Championship in 1966. Also in 1966 was the last Georgia Black High School Football Championship Lemon Street out of Marietta beat Douglass out of Thomasville 38-20.

Still the only football state championship by a Cobb County team despite some unbelievably talented programs there. BTW it was 1967 for Marietta, a lot of the same players from the '66 Lemon St HS team powered the '67 Marietta HS team!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Still the only football state championship by a Cobb County team despite some unbelievably talented programs there. BTW it was 1967 for Marietta, a lot of the same players from the '66 Lemon St HS team powered the '67 Marietta HS team!
Marietta beat Columbus 14-7 in 1967 to win the State Championship and the head coach of Marietta was French Johnson;):cool:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Marietta beat Columbus 14-7 in 1967 to win the State Championship and the head coach of Marietta was French Johnson;):cool:

Yep, I remember listening to it on WFOM 1230 LOL!!!! Friday Richards class of '71 and last coach I knew at Marietta passed away recently. Gifted athlete that my brother played against and a wonderful man who did SO much for the Marietta community. He will be missed.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
First GT game that I remember going to was UCONN in 2002. Tech won the game, but I don't remember the score off the top of my head because I was only 4. We went to see them play UCONN again the next year(?), I believe and we won that game too. For the longest time, I thought that we would play UCONN every year at home.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Valdosta beat Marietta 14-3 for the State Championship in 1966. Also in 1966 was the last Georgia Black High School Football Championship Lemon Street out of Marietta beat Douglass out of Thomasville 38-20.

Lemon Street had some great teams.

Remember one QB they had that ended up on Mich State team that featured bubba smith and that crowd.

Word was that, knowing they could not play the segregated, GHSA teams in normal competition, that Lemon Street BEGGED Decatur, Avondale, Valdosta, R E Lee, Athens and anyone else to scrimmage in the spring. NONE ever accepted. And probably for good reason some years.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Lemon Street had some great teams.

Remember one QB they had that ended up on Mich State team that featured bubba smith and that crowd.

Word was that, knowing they could not play the segregated, GHSA teams in normal competition, that Lemon Street BEGGED Decatur, Avondale, Valdosta, R E Lee, Athens and anyone else to scrimmage in the spring. NONE ever accepted. And probably for good reason some years.
Lemon Street would have thrashed them:cool::D;)(y) That Lemon Street QB was Jimmy Raye;):cool:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What was the first Georgia Tech and Non-Georgia Tech football game that you attended? The first GT game that i attended was GT's 48-3 win over The Citadel on September 22nd 1984. Someone i knew had a friend that worked in Grant Field and got me and my friend a couple of student tickets to the game:cool: The first Non-GT games that i attended were the November 21st 1976 17-10 win by the Falcons over the Dallas Cowboys in Tommy Nobis last season(he returned an interception for a touchdown:cool:) and i went to see Tennessee beat New Mexico 31-6 on September 10th 1983,
First GT game was in the late 60's, I think.