What the What?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Haven't looked at the link yet, but I'm going to take a stab and guess the Cumberland game? If that's it, then I of course wholeheartedly disagree.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope you guys don't stone me for saying this, but that game is the single part of TECH athletic history that I am least proud of. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that a team should bury the opponent that way. I view it as poor sportsmanship. First of all, the game should probably not been scheduled. Obviously the coach can't control that, but he can control what happens once the game is obviously in hand. How would any of you feel in August if we were to beat an early opponent by that score? Think of how a score like that would have to come about. Would anybody be singing CPJ's praises if he broke the record? I doubt it, more probably, exactly the opposite. This is one record that I wish was held by another school.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope you guys don't stone me for saying this, but that game is the single part of TECH athletic history that I am least proud of. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that a team should bury the opponent that way. I view it as poor sportsmanship. First of all, the game should probably not been scheduled. Obviously the coach can't control that, but he can control what happens once the game is obviously in hand. How would any of you feel in August if we were to beat an early opponent by that score? Think of how a score like that would have to come about. Would anybody be singing CPJ's praises if he broke the record? I doubt it, more probably, exactly the opposite. This is one record that I wish was held by another school.

Though I get your point, there IS a backstory to that game involving Cumberland and some semi-pro or minor league baseball players playing against GT.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Wow. Well I am least proud of the Bill Lewis Era.

I see your point. But if ANY modern day coach broke that record his bust would be encased in front of the stadium entrance. Sure there would be fans that would say what a d-bag for running up the score. But the others including the media would be falling over themselves to cover the story. It would probably turn into a recruiting pitch at some point as well.

But again I do see your point.

Last edited:

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

Gotta put things in context Boomer. The year before, they beat Tech baseball 22-0 in a most unsportsmanlike way with (maybe) minor league ringers. Heisman was the coach of both teams. While turning the other cheek is the Christian thing to do, it's pretty different to run up the score against people who ran up the score against you than to just play the first string all game against FAMU today.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Though I get your point, there IS a backstory to that game involving Cumberland and some semi-pro or minor league baseball players playing against GT.

Yep... and Heisman held their feet to the fire, if they didn't come and play the game (football) they had to pay the buy out instead of making s couple of thousand bucks (iirc).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gotta put things in context Boomer. The year before, they beat Tech baseball 22-0 in a most unsportsmanlike way with (maybe) minor league ringers. Heisman was the coach of both teams. While turning the other cheek is the Christian thing to do, it's pretty different to run up the score against people who ran up the score against you than to just play the first string all game against FAMU today.
And they also lost some players on the train ride down to Atl. On the stop at Vandy players left the train to recruit some Vandy players for the game. A couple missed the train as it departed and their captain got injured jumping back on I believe. They deserved that beat down.

Animal02

Banned

I also remember reading somewhere that Heisman was also trying to prove the point that rankings based on margin of victory was stupid.