1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

What the What?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by IronJacket7, May 21, 2014.

1. IronJacket7

IronJacket7 Helluva Engineer

2. jchens_GT

jchens_GT Helluva Engineer

Haven't looked at the link yet, but I'm going to take a stab and guess the Cumberland game? If that's it, then I of course wholeheartedly disagree.

3. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

The dude who did the story is an admitted mutt fan.

4. Boomergump

Boomergump Moderator Staff Member

I hope you guys don't stone me for saying this, but that game is the single part of TECH athletic history that I am least proud of. I simply do not subscribe to the idea that a team should bury the opponent that way. I view it as poor sportsmanship. First of all, the game should probably not been scheduled. Obviously the coach can't control that, but he can control what happens once the game is obviously in hand. How would any of you feel in August if we were to beat an early opponent by that score? Think of how a score like that would have to come about. Would anybody be singing CPJ's praises if he broke the record? I doubt it, more probably, exactly the opposite. This is one record that I wish was held by another school.

5. SidewalkJacket

SidewalkJacket Helluva Engineer

Though I get your point, there IS a backstory to that game involving Cumberland and some semi-pro or minor league baseball players playing against GT.

augustabuzz and Whiskey_Clear like this.
  6. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

Most boring games in history: LSU/Bama NC game, last year's Tenn/Fla game, or any game Tennessee, Florida, or Kentucky's offense got on the field in last year.

ybeenormal and IronJacket7 like this.
  7. IronJacket7

Wow. Well I am least proud of the Bill Lewis Era.

I see your point. But if ANY modern day coach broke that record his bust would be encased in front of the stadium entrance. Sure there would be fans that would say what a d-bag for running up the score. But the others including the media would be falling over themselves to cover the story. It would probably turn into a recruiting pitch at some point as well.

But again I do see your point.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  8. IronJacket7

Yes. The video. But who knows what team the person who wrote the article likes.

The article is what blew me away.

But the video was just stupid. That mutt fan made me chuckle.

9. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

He appears to be a total dork too. Somebody needs to tie his hands together so he doesn't wave them all over the place every time he says something

10. IEEEWreck

IEEEWreck Helluva Engineer

Gotta put things in context Boomer. The year before, they beat Tech baseball 22-0 in a most unsportsmanlike way with (maybe) minor league ringers. Heisman was the coach of both teams. While turning the other cheek is the Christian thing to do, it's pretty different to run up the score against people who ran up the score against you than to just play the first string all game against FAMU today.

Eric likes this.
  11. Squints

Squints Helluva Engineer

It's bleacher report. That's all that needs to be said.

12. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Yep... and Heisman held their feet to the fire, if they didn't come and play the game (football) they had to pay the buy out instead of making s couple of thousand bucks (iirc).

13. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

And they also lost some players on the train ride down to Atl. On the stop at Vandy players left the train to recruit some Vandy players for the game. A couple missed the train as it departed and their captain got injured jumping back on I believe. They deserved that beat down.

14. DvilleJacket

DvilleJacket Helluva Engineer

I second Bill Lewis! Thanks for wasting such a talent as Donnie Davis.

15. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

I also remember reading somewhere that Heisman was also trying to prove the point that rankings based on margin of victory was stupid.

16. Ramblinwreck1991

Ramblinwreck1991 Jolly Good Fellow

17. Ramblinwreck1991

Ramblinwreck1991 Jolly Good Fellow

Margin of victory is a stupid analysis depending on who it's agsinst.