What makes a QB a P5 QB?

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
2) this is wrong. It could easily have transition to a shotgun spread option similiar to fritzkrieg or chadwells or Chip Kelly's oregon offenses.
What we didn't have was an RPO QB. But we could have brought one in or brought a transfer in. The offensive line could have transitioned to a running offense well enough while we beefed it up.
I feel the lack of TE's hindered the transition from 3O to any other offense. Modern offenses utilize TE's in motion and set up blocking and misdirections more often than most realize. However, now that i'm typing and thinking about it, a B Back could be used as a fullback/H-back. IDK

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I feel the lack of TE's hindered the transition from 3O to any other offense. Modern offenses utilize TE's in motion and set up blocking and misdirections more often than most realize. However, now that i'm typing and thinking about it, a B Back could be used as a fullback/H-back. IDK

We had the bodies to play that H back position. Our WR's were often bigger bodied players. Look where Waller ended up. We didn't really not have Tight ends. we just split them out or line em up in the backfield.

If i were running a pur epistol spread with our personell in 2019 my target barring injuries would have been

QB- Johnson/Graham
RB- Mason/Oliver/Griffen
H-Back- Howard/Oliver
WR1- Carter
Wr2- Sanders
Slot- Brown/Pick an A back.

base formation
Pistol Spread H wing (looks alot liek a flex pistol but the h back is more of a pass threat)

Base series
Inside Zone
H back slip screen
Seam/comeback concepts
Counter
Split Zone
Split Zone Read option
Slot Split Zone Triple (the clemson sunshine triple. You do a zone read then flign it out to the slot reciever if the backer comes up to take the QB).

Varied formations off of that.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
But he is a P5 calibre QB. How hard could it be for him to play QB at GSU?

Also, you were in the room when he asked to move. I did not know this. How long have you been on the staff at GSU?

I had people that were in a position to know a lot of that on those teams in an around the program. But I am not going to burn them to appease your skepticism. Talent was not Grahams issue. But you seem to have decided it was so it really doesn't matter what I say.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
WR is alot easier to pick up on if you missed all of spring. He also asked to move.
So, he asked to move to WR, but then immediately quits the team before the first game? Um, OK.

I guess you also suggesting that Justin Tomlin is also a P5 QB? He is obviously better than Graham since they were willing to move Graham.

If Graham is so good, why did the coaching staff not insist of him staying at QB. Especially, in case Tomlin got hurt. Why move the best QB on the roster before the summer practices even begin even if he did miss a few spring practices and "asked to move"?

Why would it be so easy for Graham to learn a new spread offense at Tech but it was too hard for him to learn a similar spread option at GSU?

There are so many holes in your line of reasoning it baffles me that anyone would seriously say them out loud.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I had people that were in a position to know a lot of that on those teams in an around the program. But I am not going to burn them to appease your skepticism. Talent was not Grahams issue. But you seem to have decided it was so it really doesn't matter what I say.
I have decided that everything you say (whether you are making it up or someone "in a position to know' made it up) is complete BS.

He is not a P5 calibre QB.
He could not have easily transitioned to a new run and shoot, RPO, or shotgun spread offense but then get beat out a Justin Tomlin at GSU because he missed a few practices.
He did not ask to move to WR and then quit the team.

A more likely scenario is that Graham is not a P5 QB since no P5 program was interested in him transferring to their school. That he was beat out by Justin Tomlin because Tomlin was able to run their offense better than Graham. That he could not have easily run RPO, shotgun spread, or run and shoot offense since he was unable to beat out Justin Tomlin. That he was moved to WR because they wanted to keep him on the field (not because he asked to move). That he quit the team before the first game because he did not want to learn a new position and thought he should be the QB.

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I have decided that everything you say (whether you are making it up or someone "in a position to know' made it up) is complete BS.

He is not a P5 calibre QB.
He could not have easily transitioned to a new run and shoot, RPO, or shotgun spread offense but then get beat out a Justin Tomlin at GSU because he missed a few practices.
He did not ask to move to WR and then quit the team.

A more likely scenario is that Graham is not a P5 QB since no P5 program was interested in him transferring to their school. That he was beat out by Justin Tomlin because Tomlin was able to run their offense better than Graham. That he could not have easily run RPO, shotgun spread, or run and shoot offense since he was unable to beat out Justin Tomlin. That he was moved to WR because they wanted to keep him on the field (not because he asked to move). That he quit the team before the first game because he did not want to learn a new position and thought he should be the QB.

Lol Whatever mate.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So, he asked to move to WR, but then immediately quits the team before the first game? Um, OK.

I guess you also suggesting that Justin Tomlin is also a P5 QB? He is obviously better than Graham since they were willing to move Graham.

If Graham is so good, why did the coaching staff not insist of him staying at QB. Especially, in case Tomlin got hurt. Why move the best QB on the roster before the summer practices even begin even if he did miss a few spring practices and "asked to move"?

Why would it be so easy for Graham to learn a new spread offense at Tech but it was too hard for him to learn a similar spread option at GSU?

There are so many holes in your line of reasoning it baffles me that anyone would seriously say them out loud.

Lol whatever mate.

ScGold

Banned
2) this is wrong. It could easily have transition to a shotgun spread option similiar to fritzkrieg or chadwells or Chip Kelly's oregon offenses.
What we didn't have was an RPO QB. But we could have brought one in or brought a transfer in. The offensive line could have transitioned to a running offense well enough while we beefed it up.
The team has been void of legitimate OL for so long that has been the achilles heal and still is. Paul was very fortunate that he inherited Uzzi and Shaq turned out to be a pro. Those two were incredible and instrumental in pauls success. Outside of those two the ol has been below avg. It really is a huge transition job, but not soo much because of systems. More so because paul recruited at a level inferior to our competitors.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The team has been void of legitimate OL for so long that has been the achilles heal and still is. Paul was very fortunate that he inherited Uzzi and Shaq turned out to be a pro. Those two were incredible and instrumental in pauls success. Outside of those two the ol has been below avg. It really is a huge transition job, but not soo much because of systems. More so because paul recruited at a level inferior to our competitors.

He didnt inherit uzzi uzzi was signed in 2008 he very much had to convince him to come to GT after he got the job.

ScGold

Banned
He didnt inherit uzzi uzzi was signed in 2008 he very much had to convince him to come to GT after he got the job.
Ok, so everything else is on point. Thank you for realizing the problem then and understanding. If paul had initially recruited josh, dwyer, uzzi, bebe, fairly confident they wouldn't be on Tech's wikipedia page.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so everything else is on point. Thank you for realizing the problem then and understanding. If paul had initially recruited josh, dwyer, uzzi, bebe, fairly confident they wouldn't be on Tech's wikipedia page.

Paul also recruited Shamire Devine who was a concensus 4 star with offers from everywhere. As for other linemen Freddie Burden was also a really good player for us.

I wouldn't be so sure on Thomas. he was just a two star and the education was important for him. Johnson still had to convince them all not to transfer.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
To answer your question OP.
Accurate passing, ball control, 3rd down success, and leadership.
That’s the reason they are elusive. But, we have made several below average QBs look like Hiesman candidates over the years.
I think there is another somewhat intangible quality, that makes a good QB at any level, and that is intelligence. Understanding the game and it's nuances so that it slows down for him. Reps at the position are just not enough for some guys, IMO. The anticipation, quickly transitioning, thinking on your feet if needed, cannot always be coached up always.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You can believe what you want to believe. The talent level on the offensive line was non existent after Braun left and the other medical redshirts.

Also, if we did not have a QB to run that offense, then we did not have the talent at that position to run that offense. Saying we could have picked up a player on the transfer portal kinds proves my point.
We had a QB Oliver but the "Temple" coaches wanted to run something Oliver and the Oline could not. So yes without a suitable O for Oliver we had no suitable QB for the "Temple" O. Of course using Oliver at QB would make the never ending transition "longer" ? I doubt it. We just wasted our two best O players (Oliver and Cottrell) and it has been down hill since.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
We had a QB Oliver but the "Temple" coaches wanted to run something Oliver and the Oline could not. So yes without a suitable O for Oliver we had no suitable QB for the "Temple" O. Of course using Oliver at QB would make the never ending transition "longer" ? I doubt it. We just wasted our two best O players (Oliver and Cottrell) and it has been down hill since.
There are so many legit things that you can criticize the collins regime for and you choose this lmao