What makes a QB a P5 QB?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There were not many coaches who wanted to follow up Johnson for two reasons...

1) He was a hall of fame coach who was extremely successful
2) The roster was devoid of talent to run any offense other than CPJ's option attack

2) this is wrong. It could easily have transition to a shotgun spread option similiar to fritzkrieg or chadwells or Chip Kelly's oregon offenses.
What we didn't have was an RPO QB. But we could have brought one in or brought a transfer in. The offensive line could have transitioned to a running offense well enough while we beefed it up.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
2) this is wrong. It could easily have transition to a shotgun spread option similiar to fritzkrieg or chadwells or Chip Kelly's oregon offenses.
What we didn't have was an RPO QB. But we could have brought one in or brought a transfer in. The offensive line could have transitioned to a running offense well enough while we beefed it up.
You can believe what you want to believe. The talent level on the offensive line was non existent after Braun left and the other medical redshirts.

Also, if we did not have a QB to run that offense, then we did not have the talent at that position to run that offense. Saying we could have picked up a player on the transfer portal kinds proves my point.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Also, if we did not have a QB to run that offense, then we did not have the talent at that position to run that offense. Saying we could have picked up a player on the transfer portal kinds proves my point.
Did too. Graham could have run it with great success. But a) he was hurt most 2019 and b) C****** had a thing about run first O's; aren't "pro" enough. I consider the way he was handled as the greatest mistake of the transition. And it was pretty easy to see who was to blame for it.

I tried to find his junior highlights but I couldn't. Here are his sophomore highlights instead; it goes to show what we missed:

He might have been the best ever in the right O. Just to remind those here: in his junior year he passed for 1725 yards, ran for 956 and accounted for 39 (!!!) TDs.

JacketFan137

Banned
Did too. Graham could have run it with great success. But a) he was hurt most 2019 and b) C****** had a thing about run first O's; aren't "pro" enough. I consider the way he was handled as the greatest mistake of the transition. And it was pretty easy to see who was to blame for it.

I tried to find his junior highlights but I couldn't. Here are his sophomore highlights instead; it goes to show what we missed:

He might have been the best ever in the right O. Just to remind those here: in his junior year he passed for 1725 yards, ran for 956 and accounted for 39 (!!!) TDs.

graham got moved to WR almost immediately when he transferred. this post is incredibly wishful thinking. at no point did he show anything that would lead anyone to believe he was a power 5 qb in a non cpj offense

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
graham got moved to WR almost immediately when he transferred. this post is incredibly wishful thinking. at no point did he show anything that would lead anyone to believe he was a power 5 qb in a non cpj offense
Well … except for this, of course:

Surely you remember. Our best offensive performance of 2019 and the one time that entire year we looked like a real football team. Why? That would be because it was the first time all year that Graham was healthy. We would have won 4 - 5 games if he could have started consistently. As you probably noticed, he was dynamite. Let's not hear any more about poor decisions from his college coaches. Now, think about how he would have looked in the spread option. Yikes.

JacketFan137

Banned
Well … except for this, of course:

Surely you remember. Our best offensive performance of 2019 and the one time that entire year we looked like a real football team. Why? That would be because it was the first time all year that Graham was healthy. We would have won 4 - 5 games if he could have started consistently. As you probably noticed, he was dynamite. Let's not hear any more about poor decisions from his college coaches. Now, think about how he would have looked in the spread option. Yikes.

you have posted this before. maybe he’d be good in the option but he was absolutely not a p5 qb and if he was he would have gotten bigger transfer interest than georgia southern and wouldn’t have been moved to WR before ultimately quitting football. that is just reality. definitely had some physical tools but he’s just not a qb at this level

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
you have posted this before. maybe he’d be good in the option but he was absolutely not a p5 qb and if he was he would have gotten bigger transfer interest than georgia southern and wouldn’t have been moved to WR before ultimately quitting football. that is just reality. definitely had some physical tools but he’s just not a qb at this level

Yeah I never understood the hype back then and I certainly don't understand it now so many years later. It's really not worth talking about or bringing up.

kalld12

Banned
The kid was just a raw athlete playing QB and he did a serviceable job with what he had at the time. He was the best we had and that was clear at the time.

JacketFan137

Banned
The kid was just a raw athlete playing QB and he did a serviceable job with what he had at the time. He was the best we had and that was clear at the time.
yeah no doubt. i didn’t have any issues with him playing at the time because he was the best on the roster and i also think he would have been a better backup than yates by a significant margin last year. at this point though idk how anyone could argue he didn’t get enough chances or that he was actually good. just kinda was what he was

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I never understood the hype back then and I certainly don't understand it now so many years later. It's really not worth talking about or bringing up.
you have posted this before. maybe he’d be good in the option but he was absolutely not a p5 qb and if he was he would have gotten bigger transfer interest than georgia southern and wouldn’t have been moved to WR before ultimately quitting football. that is just reality. definitely had some physical tools but he’s just not a qb at this levelSooo
Soooooo …. we'll just ignore the evidence and take the judgment of GEOFF <common English word beginning with f denoting human sexual activity>ING COLLINS on football talent and offensive schemes as the standard to gage Graham's abilities. Ok, whatever. But the NCSU game reminds me of this:

Was Graham as good as Martinez? No, but he was never given a chance, now was he? By the time he was senior with a KSU offense? Yeah. maybe; same skill sets.

But this is my last on this. The argument is going nowhere.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo …. we'll just ignore the evidence and take the judgment of GEOFF <common English word beginning with f denoting human sexual activity>ING COLLINS on football talent and offensive schemes as the standard to gage Graham's abilities. Ok, whatever. But the NCSU game reminds me of this:

Was Graham as good as Martinez? No, but he was never given a chance, now was he? By the time he was senior with a KSU offense? Yeah. maybe; same skill sets.

James Graham was so good as a P5 QB that he transferred to Georgia Southern and was immediately moved to WR.

JacketFan137

Banned

graham started 8 games in 2019 and appeared in 11 total. he was a starting qb for 2/3rds of a season. he was given more than a chance. opportunity is earned. i would be down to say he didn’t get a fair shake and we made a mistake if he lit it up somewhere else but he’s not even a qb anymore. it is what it is

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
James Graham was so good as a P5 QB that he transferred to Georgia Southern and was immediately moved to WR.
Not exactly true. He was a QB there at the start of the spring and was supposed to compete for the job but then had to leave for personal reasons. Sometime during the summer he was moved to WR and then left the team before the season started. I think he had off the field issues that we will never know anything about. Just too many strange things in his career.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’ve almost forgotten what this thread is about. I guess if we are talking about coaching AND quarterbacks, then let’s face it, some quarterbacks get ridden much longer than they should because a coach has a favorite that he’s not willing to give up on while other quarterbacks never get the chance their talent deserves because a coach has a blind spot. Like everything else in life, your career as a QB may come down to who you know.

Which brings us back to Collins, I suppose. Is Sims the right QB for us? I have no idea because being coached under Collins means Sins was either over promoted or under coached.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not exactly true. He was a QB there at the start of the spring and was supposed to compete for the job but then had to leave for personal reasons. Sometime during the summer he was moved to WR and then left the team before the season started. I think he had off the field issues that we will never know anything about. Just too many strange things in his career.
He was moved to WR before summer practice even started. If he was a QB in spring practice and there was no practice between the time those practices ended and when he was moved to WR, I would say that speaks for itself how much they thought of him at QB.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He was moved to WR before summer practice even started. If he was a QB in spring practice and there was no practice between the time those practices ended and when he was moved to WR, I would say that speaks for itself how much they thought of him at QB.
He only participated in a few practices during the spring before leaving for personal reasons. He was a QB and was competing with Justin Tomlin for the starting job. After he left that competition pretty much ended. He was moved to WR because he is too talented to keep on the bench.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He only participated in a few practices during the spring before leaving for personal reasons. He was a QB and was competing with Justin Tomlin for the starting job. After he left that competition pretty much ended. He was moved to WR because he is too talented to keep on the bench.
So, he is a P5 calibre QB despite the fact that he was not offered by any P5 FBS program and was moved to WR after going through a few practices at GSU. Ok. If he is that good a QB, why did they just keep him at QB or at least move him back after the season ended?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So, he is a P5 calibre QB despite the fact that he was not offered by any P5 FBS program and was moved to WR after going through a few practices at GSU. Ok. If he is that good a QB, why did they just keep him at QB or at least move him back after the season ended?

He quit football all together. There's a very valid reason for it and the move to wide reciever (he didn't rejoin the team until mid summer before leaving all together).

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He quit football all together. There's a very valid reason for it and the move to wide reciever (he didn't rejoin the team until mid summer before leaving all together).
He was moved before summer practice even started.

I highly doubt they would move a P5 calibre QB to WR if he was that good, but sure, whatever...