What is the best Georgia Tech team that didn’t beat Georgia?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, did Vegas have us favored in either one of those?
We were favored by 7.5 or so at home in 2009, if I recall correctly. We were #7 in the country. Georgia was 6-5, unranked, and hovering around potentially not making a bowl game.

That to me was the worst loss I've experienced as a Tech fan. I've never felt so sick after a game. It was our chance to go 2-0 against them with CPJ.

In hindsight we learned that the BayBay investigation started prior to that game. Who knows how much effect that had. I don't think it have turned a W into a L by itself.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We were favored by 7.5 or so at home in 2009, if I recall correctly. We were #7 in the country. Georgia was 6-5, unranked, and hovering around potentially not making a bowl game.

That to me was the worst loss I've experienced as a Tech fan. I've never felt so sick after a game. It was our chance to go 2-0 against them with CPJ.

In hindsight we learned that the BayBay investigation started prior to that game. Who knows how much effect that had. I don't think it have turned a W into a L by itself.
Didn't the sorry mutts twist the heck out of Jf'nN's ankle in a pile in that one? I remember our D had no answer for their ground attack. We kept overrunning to the sideline and they kept gashing us on cutbacks.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't the sorry mutts twist the heck out of Jf'nN's ankle in a pile in that one? I remember our D had no answer for their ground attack. We kept overrunning to the sideline and they kept gashing us on cutbacks.
I don't recall off hand if that was 2008 or 2009. I recall that Jaybo got some run in Athens in '08 and at home in '09.

Also I should acknowledge that my "worst loss sickness" has to pale in comparison to those who participated in that '09 game, including an active member on the board who may have PTSD.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
. That to me was the worst loss I've experienced as a Tech fan. I've never felt so sick after a game. It was our chance to go 2-0 against them with CPJ.
I guess you weren't a Tech fan in 1997 then. That game ruined my Thanksgiving and Christmas. Imagine the 2014 game without the kick, and it's in BDS and not the cesspool. That team wasn't as good as the 2009 team, but on that day the best team did not win. 2014 and 2016 went a long way toward healing the 97 loss, but it still hurts to think about it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As opposed to those disappointing losses (2006, 2009, among others), how about we find the common denominator that fueled those phenomenal GT come from behind victories over the Mutts in 2008, 2014, and 2016. Then bottle it for this season and every season moving forward.

Having a good quarterback and a reasonably decent defense with a couple of UGA turnovers. In regards to the original question, 1966, 2009, and 2010 are all good candidates. Personally though the one that really sticks out was 1978. Pepper just could not catch a break.