What is the best Georgia Tech team that didn’t beat Georgia?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
1942 hands down. If only Castleberry hadn’t gotten injured vs UF. That was a killer right b4 the mutt game and mutts went to the Rose Bowl instead of us after we dropped that game to them.

Would have been interesting to see a healthy Castleberry vs Sinkwich. Sadly it wasn’t meant to be.
Could you imagine what Castleberry could've been had he not be KIA in WW2.... sad sad

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
As opposed to those disappointing losses (2006, 2009, among others), how about we find the common denominator that fueled those phenomenal GT come from behind victories over the Mutts in 2008, 2014, and 2016. Then bottle it for this season and every season moving forward.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
1991 was a pretty tough one to take also. We were a better team that year.

That's the one that comes to mind for me. Under Ross, we had become a better program than them for the first time since Dodd. They showed up at Grant Field with their SEC refs, got some questionable calls, and took home the win. Ross' last game at Grant Field, and the program took a downward dip.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
1942 hands down. If only Castleberry hadn’t gotten injured vs UF. That was a killer right b4 the mutt game and mutts went to the Rose Bowl instead of us after we dropped that game to them.

Would have been interesting to see a healthy Castleberry vs Sinkwich. Sadly it wasn’t meant to be.

That was before my time but after looking at the history books, I think you're right.
42 team came in undefeated and ranked #2
66 was undefeated and only ranked # 5

So, clearly the criteria of the best team must go to the #2 ranked team. 1966 was my first Tech UGA game.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

1942 is the answer. it's the only COFH that decided the national champion

Title was awarded before the bowls so we would been the unanimous #1 following the game

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'll go with 1966. No way we should have lost that game. Losing to Florida in the Orange Bowl I could understand. "That Thing" - that's what his teammates called Gator TB Larry Smith - made life difficult for everybody.

About the '66 team: Dodd said he was very proud of the team because they played over their heads, so I'm not too sold on the loss that year as being a shocker. The Jackets had survived some close calls, including one-point wins over Clemson and Virginia and a 3-point win over Tennessee. Their luck just ran out at the end, and I think the loss is just magnified because they had overachieved so much up to that point.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
About the '66 team: Dodd said he was very proud of the team because they played over their heads, so I'm not too sold on the loss that year as being a shocker. The Jackets had survived some close calls, including one-point wins over Clemson and Virginia and a 3-point win over Tennessee. Their luck just ran out at the end, and I think the loss is just magnified because they had overachieved so much up to that point.
The 1966 6-3 win over Tennessee was a great victory for Georgia Tech. Tennessee finished 8-3 and was a top 10 level team by the end of 1966.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
There was a split National Championship in 1942. The AP Poll voted for 9-1 Ohio State coached by Paul Brown and the other Polls voted for 11-1 UGAG
True but we were 2 when we played #5 uga, #1 BC had a shocking upset loss to unranked Holy Cross, and #3 Ohio state beat unranked Iowa Preflight in the last weekend. We would have been the only undefeated team and our program/conference at the time had much more respect than 1990 some I’m confident we would have been the AP #1 instead of Ohio State if we had won

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
True but we were 2 when we played #5 uga, #1 BC had a shocking upset loss to unranked Holy Cross, and #3 Ohio state beat unranked Iowa Preflight in the last weekend. We would have been the only undefeated team and our program/conference at the time had much more respect than 1990 some I’m confident we would have been the AP #1 instead of Ohio State if we had won
Yeah there would have been a strong chance of that happening if GT would have won(y)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The 1966 6-3 win over Tennessee was a great victory for Georgia Tech. Tennessee finished 8-3 and was a top 10 level team by the end of 1966.

Also about the '66 loss: Georgia only lost one game that year, so as painful as it was the loss was no big upset.