What if football went away?

Animal02

Banned
Remember, that a fall from 300 feet isn't what kills you. It's a sudden stop at the bottom.

Same thing regarding CTE, it doesn't take a hit to the head to cause the severe head injury. Having the brain sloshing around and slam against the skull will do the same.

With that, I expect to see more penalties called 4 using the head I would love for it go back to fewer pads and basic helmets.

Agree thatthe biggest reason for the additional and worst injuries today is due to nutrition and health. As noted earlier above 40 years ago someone being 6' 6", 280lber was a major exception. Today there are high school kids with those builds.
A third reason is better equipment. My first 3 years of H.S., I had a "suspension" helmet......ropes and a small donut pad at the top. You get hit with that on and you would feel it, so you took care to avoid head hits.
Senior year we got new ones.....foam pads all over, some had inflatable ones as well. The force of impact you could make without feeling it was night and day. (That doesn't mean your brain wasn't sloshing back and forth.....you just had no sensory input about it) Same goes for shoulder pads etc. I look at what my ten y.o. wore last year vs what I had, and think about all the bumps, bruises etc that would have been avoided.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
Better equipment and checkouts:
All equipment monitored real time with indicators (accelerometers) that the impact of the hit flags the player to get checked out by new advanced techniques that use AI to look for any signs of brain trauma.

One nobody ever mentions because it goes against the norm; yet many other violent sports have them. Weight limits! Yes. Limit the maximum weight of certain positions. This also helps kids long term health from having to gain too much weight to play offense and defensive line. 285 lb limit for lineman. 230 lb limit for lb and Rb. 200 lb limit for corners safeties. Wr limit 210 lb. it sounds crazy but it would force players to focus more on execution, technique, and flexibility rather than just getting jacked. The sport would actually be a better product.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Better equipment and checkouts:
All equipment monitored real time with indicators (accelerometers) that the impact of the hit flags the player to get checked out by new advanced techniques that use AI to look for any signs of brain trauma.

One nobody ever mentions because it goes against the norm; yet many other violent sports have them. Weight limits! Yes. Limit the maximum weight of certain positions. This also helps kids long term health from having to gain too much weight to play offense and defensive line. 285 lb limit for lineman. 230 lb limit for lb and Rb. 200 lb limit for corners safeties. Wr limit 210 lb. it sounds crazy but it would force players to focus more on execution, technique, and flexibility rather than just getting jacked. The sport would actually be a better product.
Or, Sprint Football: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Football