What if football went away?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
With all that's going on in the world, sports can be an escape for many of us. What would you do if football just went away?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/sports/colorado-football.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

It’s going to happen. Just the ways things are trending. A luxury of a successful society, like the USA, is that people have the time to worry about and meddle in things like this. It’ll start somewhere like Boulder or San Fran and then trickle from there.

herb

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to happen. Just a matter of when. It will become even more of a 7 v 7 game than it already is and be unrecognizable or at least unwatchable for me.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I love college football above any other organized sport, but I would start following hockey, tennis, and other sports I follow more closely. As much as I follow football (near obsessively), I don't think it would be that hard for me to move on with time. Granted, football would never be gone. It's too big of a money maker and too ingrained in American society. If anything, it would undergo massive changes to limit hits and make it more of a finesse sport (i.e. more 7 vs. 7). Honestly, we should do away with things like kickoffs already since they have so little impact on the game, but carry the most risk for injury. There are already changes to be made, but I feel like the NCAA and NFL hold off to avoid a slippery slope.

Deleted member 2897

The poverty level in SEC states would decrease substantially, as Bubba Joe and Hobart wouldn’t be using their disability checks on bag dropping.

“What ever happened to sport like this any way” asked Riley.

“Oh they don made it illegal in that urban world” quipped Mort.

“Illegal” asked one of the younger players.

“Yes son illegal” answered Jon.

“But why would they make a sport like this illegal dad” asked Chris.

“Probably because we men liked to play it too much” said Riley.

Jon then began to explain the on goings that had made many sports illegal.

“It actually started long before the actual laws were passed. At the turn of the century many parents started to look on football as being too violent for their kids. Football, as they said was to rough with too many injuries. As such they adopted other sports that they thought were less tough like soccer. Football fields began to be replaced by soccer fields and so it went. Then in the second decade even soccer was too rough so they changed the rules to forbid any contact and of course they quit keeping score so as not to deflate losers.”

“Football and Baseball and many other sports fell into ill favor. Then there was a move that collegiate sports should also be removed and only club sports that were voluntary were kept. It was driven by the notion that college should be available to all and in order to pay for that it was felt that any expenditure on sports or expensive coaches was wasteful and those dollars could be put toward providing other salaries. Of course as usual the bureaucrats made a huge mistake in this because they did not comprehend that much of the money that went to the sports did not come from taxation, it came from donations and buying school paraphernalia.”

“So when the money wasn’t there to promote those plans they of course raised taxes to cover the loss.”

“College Football was gone and with it soon professional as many felt that the salaries athletes made was also not worth it. Then of course all the other sports died as well. The final rationalization of the loss of sports was that it was an unnecessary risk that brought on injuries that the National Health care system should not pay for.” And when finally everybody went to a world government system there was no turning back.”

“God what the hell has this world become” quipped Riley.

“A place that we don’t want any part of; a place where there is no risk, no reward, no life, no pleasure, no blood sweat and tears.” replied Jon.

“And the sad part is we let it happen or rather it happened and we stood by until the point where we could do nothing about it.”

The Book is called Jon Smith......written by Richard Proctor....also know as The Colorado Jacket....me

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to happen. Just the ways things are trending. A luxury of a successful society, like the USA, is that people have the time to worry about and meddle in things like this. It’ll start somewhere like Boulder or San Fran and then trickle from there.
I will write it off as an unfortunate choice of words. But worrying about the short and long-term health effects on individuals and the health care system of this country -- already not one to boast about when compared with other western countries -- is really not meddling, any more than reacting to a measles epidemic is meddling. It needs to be considered and if fears and experience drive parents to keep their children out of football, then so be it. Believe it or not the country will survive, despite what Larry Fedora's hysterical save-my-phoney-baloney job ranting claimed. I would miss it on the college level, but if tomorrow they banished the NFL I wouldn't blink an eye.