What GT does - Pass Blocking

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am having a hard time going with the apologists. I will agree that a seasoned oline is an advantage. I do not agree that it takes 5-6 years to make it happen. Bobby Ross made it happen. Other programs did not take 5-6 years to make it happen.

Other programs didn't start with the talent level on OL that CGC inherited. Again, we can listen to actual experts who actually know how college football works tell us it's going to take a while, or we can stomp our feet and demand that, in spite of every available fact, that we are different.

I'm listening to the experts, not message board warriors.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Other programs didn't start with the talent level on OL that CGC inherited. Again, we can listen to actual experts who actually know how college football works tell us it's going to take a while, or we can stomp our feet and demand that, in spite of every available fact, that we are different.

I'm listening to the experts, not message board warriors.
BC did last year under a new head coach and they did just fine.

But if people keep pushing the same propo enough, it may stick.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How about this year's o line, how many played in the flex bone the past two years?

Read the threads above. When you show me your credentials as an expert on OL, then maybe I'll give some of your thoughts on this topic some credence. When all the experts say it's going to take time, then only those with an axe to grind refuse to listen. You've been anti-CGC since day one, and this is an avenue for you to continue to crucify him. The problem is that anyone with half a football brain understands this and it just makes you look silly.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Read the threads above. When you show me your credentials as an expert on OL, then maybe I'll give some of your thoughts on this topic some credence. When all the experts say it's going to take time, then only those with an axe to grind refuse to listen. You've been anti-CGC since day one, and this is an avenue for you to continue to crucify him. The problem is that anyone with half a football brain understands this and it just makes you look silly.
Did I hit a nerve?

Again what's the excuse this season? We have a bunch of transfers from non option teams this season.

I wouldn't say I'm anti CGC, I'm just against some of the antics. I do give credit to increases recruiting and I generally like the direction the defense is going. With that said, I'd be lying if I were to say I'm a big fan of CGC. He could change my mind with this season and a good showing next season though.

Last edited:

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How about this year's o line, how many played in the flex bone the past two years?
All right, I’ll bite. Let’s go through our current personnel, shall we? Cochran is a talented transfer from Vanderbilt and has been playing really well. Cooper was a CPJ player. Minihan was a CPJ player. Ryan Johnson was a transfer. Is he playing worse at Tech than he did at Tennessee? I don’t know and don’t care to investigate, but if you want to present that case, I’m willing to be convinced. Jordan Williams is in his second year of college football. I can’t speak for others, but I think it’s a fool’s errand to expect much from an OL player who isn’t in at least his 3rd year of college football (unless he’s a 4-star or 5-star OL recruit).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Augusta,
You are taking this waaaay too serious man. None of us have control over any of it. Whether you want Collins fired today or want to give him an extension for another 14 years, the bottom line is he has a 7 year contract that was negotiated by GT. It will all play out and then we’ll have our answer. In the meantime while we all wait for him to either be fired or play out his contract or get extended let’s not have heart attacks over it. You know my thoughts - he has shown very little as a scheme coach or game day coach so I don’t see him winning many games. But, I’m here till I die so I’ll keep rooting and hoping.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did I hit a nerve?

Again what's the excuse this season? We have a bunch of transfers from non option teams this season.

I wouldn't say I'm anti CGC, I'm just against some of the antics. I do give credit to increases recruiting and I generally like the direction the defense is going. With that said, I'd be lying if I were to say I'm a big fan of CGC. He could change my mind with this season and a good showing next season though.

I have low tolerance for trolls. You're quickly convincing me you are in that category...

I'm not spelling it out again for you. Search the thread above, I've already stated my position.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta,
You are taking this waaaay too serious man. None of us have control over any of it. Whether you want Collins fired today or want to give him an extension for another 14 years, the bottom line is he has a 7 year contract that was negotiated by GT. It will all play out and then we’ll have our answer. In the meantime while we all wait for him to either be fired or play out his contract or get extended let’s not have heart attacks over it. You know my thoughts - he has shown very little as a scheme coach or game day coach so I don’t see him winning many games. But, I’m here till I die so I’ll keep rooting and hoping.

See my reply to Ranj about trolls. I've been calling for patience since day one. I have some pretty strong opinions about what I think is going to happen, but I don't feel we can fairly judge CGC until after next year.

I've been on record with that stance for a while.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Augusta, what experts are you referring?

Unfortunately I do not remember, but one of the teams that played well today had two offensive lineman that were Freshmen and another Sophomore who were playing well.

Experts also predicted UNC would dominate the ACC. Enough of that.

I am not sure but are you implying that the offensive line is playing well this year? Or that it is somehow it is CPJs fault that the offensive line is deficient? Tech has used the transfer portal to bring in some talent at the offensive line. Many of us expected to see marked improvement over last years performance. @ilovetheoption pointed out that may not be the case. I for one do not see the oline as a strength of the team. Whether it is the players or coaching I cannot say. I did not play nor am an expert on offensive line play. I have stated before, I do not know how the oline grades out after games, but to my eye, the oline has not played well again this year. That is my opinion. I am not a troll.

Giving a bye until after year four years seems a stretch in my opinion which is opposite of yours. I know in my job I would not be given four years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta, what experts are you referring?

Unfortunately I do not remember, but one of the teams that played well today had two offensive lineman that were Freshmen and another Sophomore who were playing well.

Experts also predicted UNC would dominate the ACC. Enough of that.

I am not sure but are you implying that the offensive line is playing well this year? Or that it is somehow it is CPJs fault that the offensive line is deficient? Tech has used the transfer portal to bring in some talent at the offensive line. Many of us expected to see marked improvement over last years performance. @ilovetheoption pointed out that may not be the case. I for one do not see the oline as a strength of the team. Whether it is the players or coaching I cannot say. I did not play nor am an expert on offensive line play. I have stated before, I do not know how the oline grades out after games, but to my eye, the oline has not played well again this year. That is my opinion. I am not a troll.

Giving a bye until after year four years seems a stretch in my opinion which is opposite of yours. I know in my job I would not be given four years.

Pretty much every sportswriter out there. A lot of the former GT athletes on this very board. I've seen several HCs and former HCs that spoke about it in the press when CPJ first retired. Several of my friends here locally who are HS FB coaches. All have said the same thing.

And no, I have not said the OL is playing well. They are playing mile better than last year, but there is still a long way to go. As for UNC, every now and then the experts get it wrong. Just because people can make mistakes doesn't diminish their expertise. Biggest evidence of this is the contract. Your job might not give you 4 years, but TStan, who actually played football, realized the severity of the rebuild and awarded a 7 year contract because of it. Again, you may not like the answers, I sure don't, but that doesn't change the facts as they are.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty much every sportswriter out there. A lot of the former GT athletes on this very board. I've seen several HCs and former HCs that spoke about it in the press when CPJ first retired. Several of my friends here locally who are HS FB coaches. All have said the same thing.
I give little to no value to opinions of sports writers. When does Mark Bradley get anything right. Like weathermen, "the experts" aren't all that accurate. The opinions of coaches has more credence.

However, most coaches will also tell you they can coach up players beyond their potential. Players are graded on their game performance. I do not know the grades for Techs offensive linemen and whether they are actually performing better this year than last. I would expect if CBK is worth the salary Tech is paying him, he would be able to coach up his guys. Not necessarily a fact as you state, but an expectation.

Agreed that it is a fact that CGC has a seven year contract. If he performs he will see the end of the contract.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
See my reply to Ranj about trolls. I've been calling for patience since day one. I have some pretty strong opinions about what I think is going to happen, but I don't feel we can fairly judge CGC until after next year.

I've been on record with that stance for a while.
So why are you so defensive? We are all in the same boat in that we will have to wait until at least the end of next year till anyone at GT will make a decision on him. Does that mean we can’t comment for 4 years? I actually believe the same as you, that we should be patient and make a determination when 4 years of data is available. But I also believe that fans have the absolute right to voice opinions all along the way. No one on this or any message board has any power to fire or extend Collins so our opinions mean absolutely nothing. So, we should all relax and not have heart attacks with every loss or every message board post. I love all comments because this is fun.

And to counter your other comment, I also attend and know many coaches in South Georgia high school football. The comments have gone from positive because they were just glad to finally hear from GT to fairly neutral at this point. We can all talk about what we individually believe the future will be for GT under Collins but the past and present are on record. With our remaining schedule which will be written over the next 7 weeks I just hope we can hold on to the commitments we have. The good thing is Collins strong suit, in my opinion, is convincing players of his plan so hopefully guys like Willis can stay strong with us while the next 7 months could be rough.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Half of the preseason top 25 is currently unranked. I think the experts get it wrong a lot more than "every now and then".

LOL. Ok. The top 25 is always a fluctuation. 70% of the preseason top 10 is still in the top 10. If you can find anyone who expected Clemson to self destruct please show me. I can promise you if GT got more "love" from the experts then more of our fans would trust them.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Ok. The top 25 is always a fluctuation. 70% of the preseason top 10 is still in the top 10. If you can find anyone who expected Clemson to self destruct please show me. I can promise you if GT got more "love" from the experts then more of our fans would trust them.
If 70% of the top 10 is still the same teams (they aren't, but we'll pretend anyway), but 50% of the top 25 is different, that says that the "experts" are decent at picking the teams that are obviously the best, and pretty garbage at the rest of it. Now as I said, 70% of the top 10 is not the same, only 50% is, but maybe you meant is still in the top 25. That doesn't make the "experts" experts - my grandma could have picked UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TAMU, and ND to be top 25 teams too, and she doesn't watch football.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If 70% of the top 10 is still the same teams (they aren't, but we'll pretend anyway), but 50% of the top 25 is different, that says that the "experts" are decent at picking the teams that are obviously the best, and pretty garbage at the rest of it. Now as I said, 70% of the top 10 is not the same, only 50% is, but maybe you meant is still in the top 25. That doesn't make the "experts" experts - my grandma could have picked UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TAMU, and ND to be top 25 teams too, and she doesn't watch football.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF