What group or position would you want to stand out?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@Eric and @Boomergump have given us a good look at our team going into the spring. If you had to pick one position/group to be elite, which one would you want and why? QB, Oline, AB, BB, WR?

I do not want this to be a talent discussion, rather on discussion on which position/group has the biggest impact on our offensive success.

IMO I would rather have a superior offensive line, with serviceable talent elsewhere. I have long thought that if the boys in the trenches can block and move the LOS any serviceable QB/RB would look like a superstar. A team that can grind it out 3 yards at a time is unbeatable if your D can get a couple stops.

I am interested in the opinions of others on this topic.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
DL. That's where we had our biggest loses and have our biggest question marks. I'm especially concerned that we may not be able to put a combination of DLs on the field that yield the level of pass rush we had last year. I think we have talented athletes coming into most positions (thanks for coming to Tech, Kendrick), but this worries me. I'm hoping that Gotsis can take up some of the slack.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
No doubt about it. Both lines are essential to our success on the field. But if were talking about who I want to stand out the most. Its gotta be the Bback position for me. Its been a glaring weakness IMO for a few years now. I know the stats show that Sims was serviceable, but I cant name 1 play where I went "That guy is THE guy at Bback"

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
DL first, followed by OL. Even if our OL is as its been the last few years...average...we can get some points. Still the difference for GT is a dominating on DL up front. We do that more often, and we win Miami, UGA, maybe even VT in a low scoring game.

its a 10 win season.

So for me DL #1. Then OL. QB in our offense can be a distributor, serviceable...and we still can be prolific. QB does not need to standout. QB just needs to be efficient, then doing that the offense will stand out.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to be contrarian, I want to see our WR really just tear it up this year on both sides. Setting up plays with hard nosed blocking and battling DBs for their big play opportunities. Lethality at WR really opens up the offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In our offense, a bad qb (misreads, tentative, etc...) can make an OL look worse than it is. Just because guys are swarming in the backfield doesn't mean the OL f'd up. I think our OL would have looked a whole lot better with Tevin at qb than Vad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I want the QB to shine the most this spring. I want our OL to look horrible because our DL looks so good. Still, I want our QB to be able to compensate by stellar play.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I usually like to see the QB standout. If that player is performing well, it is probably an indication of at least three things: (1) quality team leadership; (2) superior QB mental/physical skills; and (3) strong team support.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I would have to go with B back..O-line is important but I feel like our line has been just as good as previous ones. we need someone to make that one guy miss. Conners seems to have this natural instinct to see the hole and I honesty think Custis is going to explode onto the scene. If they can get the B-back going then it will open the entire field up. The other positions can easily carry their own weight. JT is lethal, Andrews is going to surprise some people, and I feel Waller will be a huge threat. B- back needs to step up IMO.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I pretty much agree with everybody's wishes. Obviously I want them all to be ELITE. But, if I were forced to pick, I would say QB. That position is the most vital to be "ELITE" running option IMHO. I think we will be good enough on the LOS anyway. If our QB is just average or, gulp, below average, it won't matter how good the OL blocks. Missed reads, hesitancy, and bad decisions will KILL this offense. An "elite" OL will still not be good enough to deal with 8 in the box, pinning their ears back every play and crashing on an ineffective QB. We saw what that was like last year (I am not saying OL was elite in 2013, but they did face a heck of a lot of bodies in the box). If our QB in 2014, can raise the bar to "ELITE" status, both running the option and throwing, it will be a very good year on offense. The rest of the parts, being what they are, will be good enough, with an "ELITE" signal caller.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I would say AB.

I would love to see us incorporate them into the passing game more. I would like to see them used in a way that reflects the Flexbone to be a 4WR set.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The choice clearly comes down to qb or OL. Now the real question is which would be more productive, a) an elite qb with a serviceable OL, or b) an elite OL with a serviceable qb? I'll take a.