What does Michael Cunningham have against

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The failure in HS recruiting is something that has to be addressed this offseason imo (second time in 4 years).

In the short term they will need to make use of the portal this spring - which teams like Wake and Miami have used so effectively for this season. And the portal is just one more recruiting tool - I believe every team in the ACC except Duke is starting at least one player from the portal.
They will also need to figure out if a staff shakeup is needed to help recruiting.

Other than that I was not expecting an NCAA team this season and it isn't one. I'll hold comment on the team until the last chapter of the book is finished. Either way, next year is going to be an important year for the program. I expected a step back year this year, so far it is worse than I hoped but the season is not over yet. What we need to see is whether this is a one year step back or does it become a multi-year trend.

The season has also been impacted by the way the schedule lays out.
GT played 3 teams OOC that are likely Top 4 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.
But more importantly, in its first 8 ACC Games GT has played 6 games against teams with a winning conference record. (31-13 overall), one game against a .500 squad (L'ville), and 1 game against an opponent with a losing conference record (@BC). So far GT has gone 1-5 against teams with a winning record, 0-1 against L'ville and 1-0 vs BC.

It's last 12 games includes 4 games against teams above .500 in the ACC (home and home vs Miami, @Wake, @UVA).
It has 8 games against teams with losing conference records (home and home vs Clemson and VT, @Pitt, @Syracuse, NCST And BC).

I would expect GT to have a better record the rest of the season, but we'll see if that pans out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no issue with what Cunningham wrote. Everything he brought up was legit. What is ironic though is that after UGA beats AL in basketball on Tuesday Mark Bradley writes a column basically saying even though Crean has been awful at UGA he thinks he should be given more time due to his previous success at other schools. Even though Crean has the worst 4-yr record in UGA basketball history and has nobody coming in right now that will help.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have no issue with what Cunningham wrote. Everything he brought up was legit. What is ironic though is that after UGA beats AL in basketball on Tuesday Mark Bradley writes a column basically saying even though Crean has been awful at UGA he thinks he should be given more time due to his previous success at other schools. Even though Crean has the worst 4-yr record in UGA basketball history and has nobody coming in right now that will help.
I hope they listen to Bradley!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Tell me your miserable without telling me your miserable.

You and CLM should get together and start watching games together!

Ya'll can put your heads together and help figure out the answer.
Answer - Recruit more ACC caliber players and don't go 0 for a recruting season every other year. The coaching is generally solid less the annual bad start to the season. Recruiting not so good. The question is, is recruting a Pastner problem, an issue with his assistants or a lack of Basketball support staff to help out with recruting. I have no clue. Pastner needs to figure that out soon.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The failure in HS recruiting is something that has to be addressed this offseason imo (second time in 4 years).

I disagree.

The way the roster is set up, we're better off taking a one year transfer or two and kicking those scholarships back to 2023 than signing players just to sign players in the class.

Something people need to consider is that Howard and Sturdy will be the only seniors on next years team if both Moore and Devoe move on. If that's the case, it's very possible that we don't lose anyone from next year's team if they choose to use their covid 5th year. If that's the case then barring transfers we were looking at either 22 or 23 to be a small class anyways (1 or 0). Now you might argue better to bring in the recruits now than put it off until later which I would agree with if it was just a matter of recruits. But with the portal, that isn't the case.

Also, by eligibility I believe we have 7 freshmen currently, so it isn't even really the case we need to bring in freshmen next year to help prepare them to fill in for those who graduate. The 23 class would be jrs when the current freshman class graduate.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I disagree.

The way the roster is set up, we're better off taking a one year transfer or two and kicking those scholarships back to 2023 than signing players just to sign players in the class.

Something people need to consider is that Howard and Sturdy will be the only seniors on next years team if both Moore and Devoe move on. If that's the case, it's very possible that we don't lose anyone from next year's team if they choose to use their covid 5th year. If that's the case then barring transfers we were looking at either 22 or 23 to be a small class anyways (1 or 0). Now you might argue better to bring in the recruits now than put it off until later which I would agree with if it was just a matter of recruits. But with the portal, that isn't the case.

Also, by eligibility I believe we have 7 freshmen currently, so it isn't even really the case we need to bring in freshmen next year to help prepare them to fill in for those who graduate. The 23 class would be jrs when the current freshman class graduate.
Yeah, I don’t have disagree with Red, but this is one case in which I do. In my opinion, the plan has always been to go portal, unless they were to hit a HR on the high-school level.

We’ve got 2-3 spots tops, so I think we were overly selective in our evaluations. I think we will look for an impact F/C and a strong combo guard, and maybe a late bloomer or someone that shakes free due to a coaching change.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the question in terms of HS recruiting for me.
Is the issue more of a Pastner and staff issue, or is it more of a GT issue. That is something that has gone through my mind for at least a decade now.

It is also fair to note that the staff had a relatively small list of HS players they went after and they were really highly regarded ones. They were sort of swinging for the fences and whiffed.
They will need to be successful in the portal this spring. Next year is also when I expected Saba and Meka to become significant contributors, so we'll get that answer as well.

I expected us to recruit similar to a UVA or ND. Alot of high three and low 4-star guys. That will be the sweet spot for GT. So far they have not done great at that.

The staff is definitely limited in terms of scholarships to give out right now. We have 13 on scholarship (one above our 12 max - due to sanctions, because Parham and Usher don't count toward the limit).
Usher is definitely gone. I expect Parham to not return (he would need to get a medical waiver - I sort of expect him to move on with life) and I don't expect Devoe to return. K Moore could be a more interesting decision. I'd be happy to have him back. So we could be at anywhere from 9-12 returning after the season. Though my gut is to assume we have 2 scholarships to use this spring.

Then you have next year where Howard and Sturdivant will be SR, but both will also be COVID eligible for another season, So I don't expect to have more than 1-2 schollys to use next fall either.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
GT doesn't pay coaches well enough to bring in a staff that will lock down Atlanta recruiting like you are talking about. Did you completely forget how the hiring process went when GT hired CJP?
One day I have faith it will change. Still holding out hope that we spend more money one day

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Stick with the coach that went from projected winless in conference play to a double bye in the ACCT and a ACCT Championship in 5 years and see if this step back, which wasn't exactly unexpected several years in advance, is followed by a two steps forward type of situation.
Hope your right. Don’t disagree necessarily. Transfer portal is going to have to be HUGE this off-season

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL. Tell me your miserable without telling me your miserable.

You and CLM should get together and start watching games together!

Ya'll can put your heads together and help figure out the answer.
It’s like fans can’t be upset about a team who is in last place. I didn’t say they had to make the tourney this yr but last place. Come on Connell. You know your not happy and frustrated as well.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
How many teams lost two players that were separately conference player of the year and defensive player of the year off a team with effectively a 7 man rotation, then the next year had both a flu outbreak and a covid in the out of conference delaying development of the replacement pieces? On top of that we've played 8 conference games, 6 of those have come against teams currently in the top half of the conference.

Yes we could have done better, and Pastner has mad some mistakes but the posters that were silent when we were winning last year and are now speaking up just so they can take shots should just remain silent.
I was very happy and loud last yr when they were winning. Fans are allowed to be critical.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I don’t have disagree with Red, but this is one case in which I do. In my opinion, the plan has always been to go portal, unless they were to hit a HR on the high-school level.

We’ve got 2-3 spots tops, so I think we were overly selective in our evaluations. I think we will look for an impact F/C and a strong combo guard, and maybe a late bloomer or someone that shakes free due to a coaching change.
I think they will have more spots. Saba will transfer. Not sure if Howard still can since he has already but you and I both know those guys will not develop enough to play at GT.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the question in terms of HS recruiting for me.
Is the issue more of a Pastner and staff issue, or is it more of a GT issue. That is something that has gone through my mind for at least a decade now.

It is also fair to note that the staff had a relatively small list of HS players they went after and they were really highly regarded ones. They were sort of swinging for the fences and whiffed.
They will need to be successful in the portal this spring. Next year is also when I expected Saba and Meka to become significant contributors, so we'll get that answer as well.

I expected us to recruit similar to a UVA or ND. Alot of high three and low 4-star guys. That will be the sweet spot for GT. So far they have not done great at that.

The staff is definitely limited in terms of scholarships to give out right now. We have 13 on scholarship (one above our 12 max - due to sanctions, because Parham and Usher don't count toward the limit).
Usher is definitely gone. I expect Parham to not return (he would need to get a medical waiver - I sort of expect him to move on with life) and I don't expect Devoe to return. K Moore could be a more interesting decision. I'd be happy to have him back. So we could be at anywhere from 9-12 returning after the season. Though my gut is to assume we have 2 scholarships to use this spring.

Then you have next year where Howard and Sturdivant will be SR, but both will also be COVID eligible for another season, So I don't expect to have more than 1-2 schollys to use next fall either.
I

In the short term they will need to make use of the portal this spring - which teams like Wake and Miami have used so effectively for this season. And the portal is just one more recruiting tool - I believe every team in the ACC except Duke is starting at least one player from the portal.
They will also need to figure out if a staff shakeup is needed to help recruiting.

Other than that I was not expecting an NCAA team this season and it isn't one. I'll hold comment on the team until the last chapter of the book is finished. Either way, next year is going to be an important year for the program. I expected a step back year this year, so far it is worse than I hoped but the season is not over yet. What we need to see is whether this is a one year step back or does it become a multi-year trend.

The season has also been impacted by the way the schedule lays out.
GT played 3 teams OOC that are likely Top 4 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.
But more importantly, in its first 8 ACC Games GT has played 6 games against teams with a winning conference record. (31-13 overall), one game against a .500 squad (L'ville), and 1 game against an opponent with a losing conference record (@BC). So far GT has gone 1-5 against teams with a winning record, 0-1 against L'ville and 1-0 vs BC.

It's last 12 games includes 4 games against teams above .500 in the ACC (home and home vs Miami, @Wake, @UVA).
It has 8 games against teams with losing conference records (home and home vs Clemson and VT, @Pitt, @Syracuse, NCST And BC).

I would expect GT to have a better record the rest of the season, but we'll see if that pans out.
is there a part of you that might think Josh is trying to hard when selling to Hs recruits? My guy(based off his press conferences after games) that he might be doing that. He is a super positive guy but sometimes he just goes off the rails or say things that are just like eye rollers. He tends to repeat himself a lot. I just wonder if that plays a role in the recurring pitches

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they will have more spots. Saba will transfer. Not sure if Howard still can since he has already but you and I both know those guys will not develop enough to play at GT.
Why would any big that has a chance to work with Rev transfer? He’s a sophomore. Unless he’s going pro in Europe, that makes no sense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why would any big that has a chance to work with Rev transfer? He’s a sophomore. Unless he’s going pro in Europe, that makes no sense.

Because the coaching staff is playing Sfs at the 5 spot instead of him. Working with rev is gerat, but he needs game time experience as well and he's not getting it.