What does Michael Cunningham have against

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Article is fine. I don’t disagree with anything he’s said. Yea last years late run was great but a one and done trip to the NCAAT in 11 years isn’t anything that will excite a fanbase. I’m hoping for an NIT bid but an Ncaa bid doesn’t look good. As far as next year, he and the staff need to hit the portal hard for a solid 4 and 5 positions.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
He is not alone in his frustration with the program. I like Coach Pastner, I want him to be successful, but the data is bearing out that last year was an outlier. He has to recruit better, its that simple.

He didn't capitalize on winning the ACC last year. We have 0 recruits, we struck out on all the high level prospects this year. We are hoping to get someone good through the transfer portal... Let that sink in... after winning the ACC, we got NOBODY to sign up and be part of our program.

I like him, I would want a man like to to lead my sons, but he is in a job where you are judged by your W and L's. He needs more W's badly.

slugboy

Staff member
Writing “all but a few programs are going to have up and down years” isn’t going to attract the same readership as a “doom” column.

There are two types of articles in the sports section. Beat coverage articles that are about as newsy as the sports section is going to get, and opinion pieces by the columnists that are frequently written to provoke readers. You can look at the title of the writer to see what you're going to get.

Whether or not Cunningham or Mark Bradley are actually correct in what they write or not is a side issue. They could be correct. They can be knowledgeable about their main sports. However, they're writing to provoke.

Steve Hummer was not so much in that camp, but I believe he just retired.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If Wake can get Alondes Williams and Jake LaRavia (who aren't even from the triangle), I don't see why we can't get some transfer talent from the metro Atlanta area. Just look at Jordan Usher for a good example. Pastner needs to score from the portal this offseason.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Writing “all but a few programs are going to have up and down years” isn’t going to attract the same readership as a “doom” column.

There are two types of articles in the sports section. Beat coverage articles that are about as newsy as the sports section is going to get, and opinion pieces by the columnists that are frequently written to provoke readers. You can look at the title of the writer to see what you're going to get.

Whether or not Cunningham or Mark Bradley are actually correct in what they write or not is a side issue. They could be correct. They can be knowledgeable about their main sports. However, they're writing to provoke.

Steve Hummer was not so much in that camp, but I believe he just retired.
What isn’t accurate in his article / opinion piece. Seemed spot on to me.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, making the tournament last year could not have worked out more perfectly for Pastner. He preached a “five year plan” and “get old, stay old,” and he brought forth the best season in over a decade on those two points

Coming into this season was the perfect opportunity to build on that. Losing Jose and Moses stung, but returning four seniors with more than enough playing experience to get this team over the wall.

Yes, not having Bubba makes a huge difference, but as Cunningham noted, two guys who more than likely will be All ACC in a weak ACC should have this team in a better spot than 7-9 (1-5). Granted, it’s early, and the team didn’t make a run until that buzzer beater loss to Clemson that dropped us to 9-8 (5-6), but while we knew that team was capable of more, I just don’t see that with this team

We’re small but have spent a good chunk of this season running a high post offense through a but with very little offensive capability, which has led to a ridiculous amount of wasted possessions.

We’re athletic, but we don’t move quick on offense, have trouble shooting the three, and are inconsistent on defense. We also only have two capable offensive possessions, and teams are starting to take Devoe out of the picture, and considering his selflessness and not making his own opportunities, I can’t tell if he’s scoring 20+ or six.

Overall, I just don’t see this team, which coming off of last season, the returning experience, and the talented freshmen class, will be disappointing.

Again, we’re past five years, and we’re old…now what? Next year is seven years; which was Pastner’s original contract length. If one tourney appearance in seven years, is what he’s given us, he’s failed.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This article is spot on. Fans who disagree are not living in reality.
And you’ve been living under a rock for the last five years. It’s not real difficult to see the GT hoops is in a much better spot than it has been over the last 12-15 years. If you don’t see it, you ain’t trying too.

Not to mention, half y’all bitching and crying haven’t been to a game or donated a ****ing penny to help improve our program in any way.

Go kick rocks!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm OK with the column and think Cunningham is a fair guy. I wish the reality for this season was different, but injuries and guys not developing as quickly as we needed have hurt.

We knew our results would likely be in the middle of the conference this year after losing Wright and Alvarado, but hoped the inside trio could fill Moses' role somewhat. Coleman and Kelly have given us some solid minutes, but neither is a star. Yet.

I like this roster and it will look even better if Pastner gets a transfer big who actually deserves to start.

slugboy

Staff member
What isn’t accurate in his article / opinion piece. Seemed spot on to me.
That’s not the point, and I’m clear about that in what I wrote. There are lots of totally accurate columns that he can write based on where we are. A columnist will start the day with a couple of columns in mind and pitch them to their editor. The editor will say “go with the second one”. Mark Bradley is a big man on campus at the AJC, and will probably just say “here’s the column I want to write” and just pitch one. Then the columnist will assemble the facts and items that support his thesis.

The editor also picks the headline.

A beat reporter is more inclined to try to let the facts write the story than having the story choose the facts. That's part of what a columnist is. They're an editorial writer on the sports pages.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Fact- last place in the ACC which has one ranked team in Top 25.

Fact- best team in state for now

Fact- losing 2 really good conference players with no recruiting class- just a hope on the transfer portal in the off season

JacketOff2

Banned
And you’ve been living under a rock for the last five years. It’s not real difficult to see the GT hoops is in a much better spot than it has been over the last 12-15 years. If you don’t see it, you ain’t trying too.

Not to mention, half y’all bitching and crying haven’t been to a game or donated a ****ing penny to help improve our program in any way.

Go kick rocks!
As Captain Price once said, “That was an improvement, but it’s not hard to improve on garbage.”

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As Captain Price once said, “That was an improvement, but it’s not hard to improve on garbage.”
Call it what you want, but the fact is we're coming off back-to-back Top 5 finishes in the conference. By anyone's measure, that is a first in 30 years!

Make no mistake, we definitely still have work to do as a program, but we have a good core of young talent.

Add a transfer or two - which has been our plan all along - and we are in a position to keep building.

Bottom line, this was a ****ty take meant to cater to the frustration of the GT fan base. He got his clicks.

Another reason for me to say **** the AJC!