What are the chances Okogoe goes pro?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Okogie has had a GREAT freshmen season. The one thing I hope he changes in his game is going hard to the basket. As we use to say in our neighborhood driveways growing up, dude needs to go to the hoop with bad intentions. Go hard, and look to slam it down someone's throat. It seems like he's always looking for contact and it affects how he puts the ball up on the glass which causes him to miss easy chances. If someone fouls you, they foul you, but just go hard to the basket and let refs take care of the rest. It seems he's more worried about the contact and he starts contorting and altering his attempt that he forgets the whole point of getting the basketball in the hoop.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you look back at last year's draft you will notice something. Very few of those guys are contributing much to their teams. The NBA is drafting potential right now. That does not mean JO will opt for the draft, but he is the kind of player they like. He is a great athlete with a very strong body. He wants the ball and is fearless taking it inside. What may keep him out of the league is his 20-foot and beyond shooting accuracy. At his size he needs that shot.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Needs a better shot, left hand, ability to finish at the rim, better FT shooting, a little more muscle.

The NBA is all 3 pointers and pick n roll. He has the slashing ability for pick n rolls but he needs to work on hitting the layup. He'll get the but he's not NBA ready. I'm sure he knows that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oh wow, I didn't realize if he participates he's no longer eligible to play for the Nigerian team. That is a big decision. If he goes the Nigerian route, he'll likely be a perpetual Olympic participant.

Just a quick read about the Nigerian program, it seems they've had money problems and aren't coached by a high level guy. Hmmm, that US invite may be a better deal.

northgajacket

Banned
Oh wow, I didn't realize if he participates he's no longer eligible to play for the Nigerian team. That is a big decision. If he goes the Nigerian route, he'll likely be a perpetual Olympic participant.

Just a quick read about the Nigerian program, it seems they've had money problems and aren't coached by a high level guy. Hmmm, that US invite may be a better deal.

Dumb rule by FIBA IMO, it should be until you play an official game for that National team before he is tied to them, ( like FIFA or the IIHF)

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If he wants to play in the NBA then getting on this team now is the clear choice. He'll learn a lot more this summer than he will getting smashed by NBA all stars every 4 years. This is not even a question

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I also think he needs to develop several aspects of his game or he will not get drafted:

He needs to make his left hand a legitimate part of his game.

His outside shot is nowhere close to good enough.

He needs to finish his drives better.

At 6'5" JO probably has to be a guard in the pros. I doubt he has PG potential, so that means he will be a 2 in the NBA. His best chance at that spot has to as a shooter. Right now he isn't ready.

But, wow. He is certainly ready for the ACC!!!

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I also think he needs to develop several aspects of his game or he will not get drafted:

He needs to make his left hand a legitimate part of his game.

His outside shot is nowhere close to good enough.

He needs to finish his drives better.

At 6'5" JO probably has to be a guard in the pros. I doubt he has PG potential, so that means he will be a 2 in the NBA. His best chance at that spot has to as a shooter. Right now he isn't ready.

But, wow. He is certainly ready for the ACC!!!

I agree, and the jump shot can be worked on. He has a pretty good looking shot. I think if he stays 3 years and improves every year he will definitely be drafted. Buddy Heild wasn't great his freshman year, and really had similar stats to JO his sophomore year.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I agree, and the jump shot can be worked on. He has a pretty good looking shot. I think if he stays 3 years and improves every year he will definitely be drafted. Buddy Heild wasn't great his freshman year, and really had similar stats to JO his sophomore year.
The Kings must be licking their chops and preparing All Star money for when JO declares.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

good one, he even looks like Buddy on the court a bit

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Josh recently made the US Under 19 team. Here's a brief writeup from DraftExpress about him.
Coming off a strong season at Georgia Tech, rising sophomore Josh Okogie's 7'0 wingspan is tremendous considering the 18 year old shooting guard stands just 6'3 barefoot. With one of the better wingspan-to-height ratios in our database, the strong, 213-pound Lagos, Nigeria native has terrific potential as a multi-positional defender given his unique physical profile, and can also put points on the board as he demonstrated in the ACC this past year, making him someone to keep an eye on. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/usa-basketball-u19-training-camp-measurements-and-analysis-6064/
Undersized for a wing but with that length he'll be able to still potentially be a high pick in the NBA.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Check out the Utah pick right before trip on this way too early mock draft
Screenshot_20170709-100015.png