What are the chances Okogoe goes pro?

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
4 years at GT. He can be a GREAT college player. He's already very good. A lock for All-ACC Freshman team - but won't be Rookie of the Year (Dennis Smith will get that).

For comparison -
Dennis Smith at NC State - he's the best freshman (talent wise) in the league and almost a sure one and done ... when you watch the two you see more offensive skills in Smith, Smith can create his own shot, etc ... Okogie plays within framework of team and with a lot of energy. If Okogie were on another ACC team - one with more depth - he likely would not be putting up the numbers he is here
I would he shocked if he even considers leaving early - best comparision is he's another MGH like player - better shooter from perimieter .. with higher up side. His skills don't translate as well to the NBA as Shumpert, Bacon, etc. He'd be a 2-guard in the NBA.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
More likely he transfers to another school than leaving early for the draft.

Hoping for neither, 4 years and he will be an All-Time Great Yellow Jacket.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
If I had to guess, I am thinking he stays for three years. I just really hope he sticks around long enough for CJP to get in some quality recruits that can continue this surprising early success we are enjoying. I hope this game has a big impact on MJ Walker's decision. I know he didn't make it, but I guarantee you he is aware of the outcome and the message that CJP sent. In my opinion, his commitment would reverberate through the recruiting world and could be the first domino to fall that sets our recruiting resurgence in motion for years to come.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he leaves this year. He has a lot of work to do before being ready to go to the NBA. I DO think he can get drafted, but maybe not this year. I think his ceiling after 2 years would be a low 1st rounder, maybe mid 2nd rounder. After 3 years that could improve to low-mid 1st round.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
More likely he transfers to another school than leaving early for the draft.
I was thinking the same thing. It always seems like we can't have nice things.

In his interviews he sounds happy and sounds like he's bought in. He's playing with such poise and I really think he's going to be a fan favorite. He also said stte there's no better place to play than the ACC. He's honestly the reason we're in the middle of the ACC and not the bottom like everyone predicted

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I have seen so far of his game, Josh Okogie's game right now is more of finisher than an outside shooter. He'd benefit from staying past this year to add more weight and work improve on his outside jumper. Imagine a backcourt of him, Alvarado and Heywood next year.

My bigger concern is whether or not Lammers goes pro at the end of the season.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
My bigger concern is whether or not Lammers goes pro at the end of the season.
I would be surprised if he left early. He could really benefit from another year here. He needs to continue to develop physically and polish his low post game. Also, he just doesn't seem like the type to jump early, but that is just my opinion.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Let's not forget that Josh is 6'4 and not a GREAT 3 point shooter (the mechanics are there though)

The NBA likes their wings 6'7-6'10 that can shoot it right now.

One thing you can say about Josh though is he's a winner. He will probably out work you. He has good hands and instincts on defense. I don't think he gets drafted this year. At best he's a two and done and even then he's a Spurs bench player. (Seems to for their mold) He should be here at least 3 I think/hope

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Let's not forget that Josh is 6'4 and not a GREAT 3 point shooter (the mechanics are there though)

The NBA likes their wings 6'7-6'10 that can shoot it right now.

One thing you can say about Josh though is he's a winner. He will probably out work you. He has good hands and instincts on defense. I don't think he gets drafted this year. At best he's a two and done and even then he's a Spurs bench player. (Seems to for their mold) He should be here at least 3 I think/hope
I agree Peacone. Josh is the type that with time could evolve into a Dwayne Wade type player. That takes time and so for that reason I believe he will play at least 3 years of college ball.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The main concern with Okogie is that other wing recruits don't see what he doing and think there's no place for them here. I think there's room for another bigtime wing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The main concern with Okogie is that other wing recruits don't see what he doing and think there's no place for them here. I think there's room for another bigtime wing.

• Not every FR wing needs to come in and play 30-40 minutes.
  • Okogie doesn't need to be playing 30-40 minutes a game.
  • Some of these wings will be taller and replace Q's over time in CJP's 4 out system, where he demands guards rebound.
  • We're replacing minutes from Heath, Tadric, Heyward by end of next season.
  • Some of these wings may just get recruited to be high quality reserves for the bulk of their GT careers.
  • CJP wants to get old & stay old, some kids will just have to wait their turn.
  • Always be ready, next man up.
That's all I got. Plenty of mitigants.