What are the chances Okogoe goes pro?

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
4 years at GT. He can be a GREAT college player. He's already very good. A lock for All-ACC Freshman team - but won't be Rookie of the Year (Dennis Smith will get that).

For comparison -
Dennis Smith at NC State - he's the best freshman (talent wise) in the league and almost a sure one and done ... when you watch the two you see more offensive skills in Smith, Smith can create his own shot, etc ... Okogie plays within framework of team and with a lot of energy. If Okogie were on another ACC team - one with more depth - he likely would not be putting up the numbers he is here
I would he shocked if he even considers leaving early - best comparision is he's another MGH like player - better shooter from perimieter .. with higher up side. His skills don't translate as well to the NBA as Shumpert, Bacon, etc. He'd be a 2-guard in the NBA.
He's going to be far better than MGH...he's an NBA 2....Peacone nailed the Spurs comment...he reminds me of a European kid...no BS in his game...super athletic and strong...can shoot...his stroke has come along way in half a season...it's like a quick release set shot...he has the intangible piece down...he's everywhere...but the thing that's his biggest strength is his ability to get to the basket and finish...I don't think I've EVER seen a player EVER attack the basket like him being that young,even regardless of class...he's relentless...that's why, along with Ben and great coaching,they're winning these games.He's gone over 30 twice and has shown consistency.I think he leaves after next season but there's a chance he sticks around 3 years...it depends on his ability to get into the lottery.If they land an MJ or a Tucker,an impactful big...grad transfer??? They could make a run...he's the kind of player who could go for over 40 in the tourney(look how many times he gets to the line) multiple times and take us deep into the limelight where he could find himself in the lottery.He's going to be solid pro.

Last edited:

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't get me wrong...Dennis Smith can do alot of things...but his team is struggling...if Tech ranks ahead of them in league play and both guys continue at the same pace...if I were voting I'd take Okogie as ROTY....period.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At his size, Okogie needs a better outside shot to play in the NBA. He is not a bad shooter, but the NBA line is deeper and with bigger people putting a hand in your face.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember guys the critics also said the same things about Jordan...Kobe...and more recently Jaylen Brown,who's blossoming in front of our eyes.All comes down to mechanics and work ethic...the higher you play up athleticism comes to play etc etc...Okogie is ULTRA special ;)

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember guys the critics also said the same things about Jordan...Kobe...and more recently Jaylen Brown,who's blossoming in front of our eyes.All comes down to mechanics and work ethic...the higher you play up athleticism comes to play etc etc...Okogie is ULTRA special ;)

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Migos( have the #1- 9 songs on apple music) are now on the Josh Okogie bandwagon!
Screenshot_20170129-194535.png

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I am 99.9% sure Ben will stay..he is very serious about his education and could use another year of getting bigger/better. On josh, i think okogie will be a pro after his junior year.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Although by NO MEANS do we want to lose a kid like him to the NBA... Isn't it sort of nice have someone on the team that legitimately raises this question?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Although by NO MEANS do we want to lose a kid like him to the NBA... Isn't it sort of nice have someone on the team that legitimately raises this question?

Absolutely. But I don't think he (J-OK) is close to there yet. Many players are great in college but don't necessarily have an NBA game. Guys like Shea Seals, Charlie Bell, Khalid El-Amin Ed OBannon come to mind. Josh needs to work his left hand and his 3 pt shot. I think at the minimum he is a 3 year player for us.

Ben, well Ben has game. There is no denying that. Again at the risk of sounding like a complete ****, I think Ben might be on the big board he wasn't so white. What doesn't he do? Finishes with both hands, makes FTs @ 80%, great help side defender, sets solid screens and now he has that 14-16 footer that he can drill. Hell be backing up Lamarcus Alrdridge in 2 years I have zero doubt.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm with Pea on this one, i'm not the least bit worried about losing Ben or Josh to the NBA this year. Neither is mentioned on any legit NBA draft site.

Josh has potential if he can develop his left hand and improve his jumper.

It is interesting to see some of the potential !st Round early entries the lists show though.
Isaac and Bacon from FSU
Smith from NCST
Tatum and Giles (don't get this at all, he hasn't shown he is recovered from injury) from Duke
Collins from Wake
Lydon from Syracuse
Mitchell from L'ville

Some of those teams reload easily, others not so much.