What are GT’s academic requirements for athletes?

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech requires all applicants to have taken 4 math courses. The state of Georgia requires all students to take 4 math courses out of about 16 listed. However many are noted not to be acceptable for admission to STEM courses, so if a state of Georgia student, e.g. a freshman, takes a non-stem course and wants to go to Tech, they must take two stem prep course in one year. This happened with a commit a few years ago, but he decided not to take the math and moved on.
Tech has a 30 semester hour core for all undergrads. It requires at least 2 math classes, one of which is calculus, and 2 lab sciences.
Stanford has a 4 course core, none of which is math or science per se. Many majors at Stanford require no math or science courses! This is true of many universities. So much for an even recruiting field.
Also, I think Tech will never incur the expense of the infrastructure to offer BA degrees.

Bob

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Ibeeballin

You may have answered elsewhere, so I apologize if you're repeating yourself. If you don't mind indulging us (again?), as an actual former scholarship SA that went through GT, what's your honest, nothing but the truth opinion about the academic side of GT from an SA's POV? Is it as hard as some make it sound? Was the tutoring/academic help for SAs a good resource in helping with the academics? Anything else you would add given all the narratives that go back and forth between the posters who have no clue what SAs at GT go through?

Any other former SA who "got out" please feel free to chime in. I think your POV helps immensely in dispelling or confirming a lot of narratives that most of us can only imagine.

It’s hard as you make it. You put little in, you get little out. Biggest thing I’ve learned about GT/ life is, everybody there is not smart as think. Some/most know how to work the system to “get out” whether that’s go after class to talk to teachers or networking with folks other than SA who “insider info” lol. Academic Advisor did a good job of navigating your path. Put you in classes of professors who are flexible and give out high grades. Doesn’t always work, i remember the time me few other FB players got placed in former Exxon engineer, who made our Operations MGT class a living hell. First team, I’ve ever seen 1500 SAT Valedictorians visibly upset and confused. To be brutally honest, coming to the realization that a 2.3-2.5 gets me the same degree as the 3.0 1500SAT regular student. Not to say i didn’t try best bc I’m competitive like that, but it was not necessary to put that extra stress on myself along trying be the best on the field

alagold

Helluva Engineer
CGC has already said he will recruit nationally. He's taking the "leave no rocks unturned" strategy...actually I think he may have literally said that. I'm more of the hit target rich (and by that I mean GT target rich high academic high football talent) areas. That's also nationwide strategy, but you're focusing on areas you know you have talent + academic skillset.

GT's recruiting pool is smaller than most schools. If anyone denies that, they're just not facing reality. The system we ran under CPJ made that small pool even smaller. Now that CGC as openly said he wants an "NFL system" on both sides of the ball (whatever that really means we'll see soon enough) I think the pool becomes bigger.

Like I said, proof is in the pudding. GT fans on both sides of the recruiting debates will soon see if their theories and narratives are correct (or incorrect).

I've screamed for a while for a NATIONAL referral system using alumni in every state to get names of guys with outstanding fball and academics credentials.(there has got to be an capable alumnus in almost every state)It is a bonus if the kid is actually known by the alumnus.It seems through a screening process by ANOTHER volunteer alumnus in each region we could present ONLY top candidates to the actual recruiting staff. That way we get coverage but no professional's time is wasted. To my knowledge it has never really been tried.

If nothing else Tech could send a letter to a prospect early (as a soph?) to see if he responds at all to the communication.If we send out enough of these we might have some new ore to mine.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Getting back to the original subject, and in an effort to answer my original questions in that started this thread, here are my conclusions:

Try as I might, through my Internet searches on the subject, I have been unable to locate any concrete and published official source on Georgia Tech’s minimum academic requirements for incoming student-athletes, including football players. If there is anything printed on paper regarding these requirements, I now suspect it is entirely in-house, and known only to Georgia Tech’s coaches, the class instructors, and the administration (i.e., “The Hill” as many of y’all call it).

Additionally, the best source from outside the Institute about academic requirements for football players was the one published by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution back in 2014, as I noted earlier in this thread, and linked again here for your reading:

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/

Please read the above article carefully.

I believe this article is factually true, and answers my questions. Georgia Tech’s football players are recruited with much lower academic requirements than those for its general student body, and in fact, are basically the same as those for Georgia’s football players ... perhaps just a little bit higher than Georgia’s, but still basically the same, in the same ballpark. The only difference is in the number of “special exceptions” between the two football teams, with Georgia having about twice as many exceptions as Georgia Tech (again in 2014, as noted in the above AJC article). I don’t know the number of exceptions now, at this time (2018).

So, to me, it means there are no “recruiting restrictions” for Georgia Tech’s football recruits, at least as far as I can determine, other than the difference in the number of academic exceptions given.

Perhaps one major “restriction” for Georgia Tech, then, is very likely GT’s limited curriculum. Most of Tech’s football players currently major in Business Administration, with only a few other players majoring in other fields that are offered by the Institute. This may play a big factor in Georgia Tech’s ability to recruit football players, but then again, I don’t think it should because of all the tutoring available.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Getting back to the original subject, and in an effort to answer my original questions in that started this thread, here are my conclusions:

Try as I might, through my Internet searches on the subject, I have been unable to locate any concrete and published official source on Georgia Tech’s minimum academic requirements for incoming student-athletes, including football players. If there is anything printed on paper regarding these requirements, I now suspect it is entirely in-house, and known only to Georgia Tech’s coaches, the class instructors, and the administration (i.e., “The Hill” as many of y’all call it).

Additionally, the best source from outside the Institute about academic requirements for football players was the one published by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution back in 2014, as I noted earlier in this thread, and linked again here for your reading:

I believe this article is factually true, and answers my questions. Georgia Tech’s football players are recruited with much lower academic requirements than those for its general student body, and in fact, are basically the same as those for Georgia’s football players ... perhaps just a little bit higher than Georgia’s, but still basically the same, in the same ballpark. The only difference is in the number of “special exceptions” between the two football teams, with Georgia having about twice as many exceptions as Georgia Tech (again in 2014, as noted in the above AJC article). I don’t know the number of exceptions now, at this time (2018).

So, to me, it means there are no “recruiting restrictions” for Georgia Tech’s football recruits, at least as far as I can determine, other than the difference in the number of academic exceptions given.

Perhaps one major “restriction” for Georgia Tech, then, is very likely GT’s limited curriculum. Most of Tech’s football players currently major in Industrial Management (BS Degree), with only a few other players majoring in other fields that are offered by the Institute. This may play a big factor in Georgia Tech’s ability to recruit football players, but then again, I don’t think it should because of all the tutoring available.

Most of Tech’s football players currently major in Industrial Management (BS Degree),

Unless I have missed something recently, I think this is more correct above in bold.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Most of Tech’s football players currently major in Industrial Management (BS Degree),

Unless I have missed something recently, I think this is more correct above in bold.

The GT Industrial Management degree, which was a major offered in the 1960s all the way up to the early 2000s, was recently retitled and replaced by Business Management. I don’t know exactly when this change in the title of the major occurred, but I believe it is correct.

Perhaps someone else on this board knows, and can substantiate it. Thanks

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The GT Industrial Management degree, which was a major offered in the 1960s all the way up to the early 2000s, was recently retitled and replaced by Business Management. I don’t know exactly when this change in the title of the major occurred, but I believe it is correct.

When I was there, 96 to 2001, it was just Management.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Thanks, Rambler. I had no idea. I realize that other than requiring a little bit more in the area of statistics and "survey of calculus", it really is very much like a undergrad business degree.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
When I was there, 96 to 2001, it was just Management.

yep that's what my degree says!

There were probably only a few players that I know on our teams that could've gotten into GT as a regular student based on their test scores and GPA. I think this is where the coach recruiting the kid can "feel him out" to gauge whether or not he will succeed at GT if EFFORT is applied and the desire is there.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I did read the above article, and I linked to it in the 12th post in this thread. There are several things in that article that I have issue with:
  • The data is characterized as GT really bad because the football players have the biggest gap between the general student body on SAT scores. I read an article that linked to that article that described the high SAT scores of GT football players and said that GT must have some really smart students for the general average to be that much higher than the already high football player average. The characterization in the AJC is on the spread, and they all but ignore the fact that the GT players scores are higher. In fact, the GT scores have been the highest in the country of all schools that report scores.
  • They cite an SA who was admitted to GT with an SAT score of 590, and one at the mutts with a 570. That information would not have been in any release from the schools because of privacy concerns. There is no citation for a source, it is only stated as a fact. I have large issues with a news organization that cites "facts" with no sourcing or references.
The AJC apparently was able to get average scores and number of special admits from the school. I believe I read that the mutts were reluctant to provide any information for the article, but ended up doing so reluctantly. The characterization of the data seemed to be very skewed, and they stated "facts" with no evidence or sources for the evidence.

From an NBC news article based on the AJC article:http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28411902/...es-test-scores-lag-behind-class/#.XA7blGhKiUk
More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, Texas A&M University and LSU were special admits.
That is something that the commentary of the AJC article did not state.

Read the data in the AJC article, but ignore all of the commentary and the anecdotal data.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Early in the CPJ era, GT couldn't sign more than I think 4 special admits a year. That limitation was removed because GT's SAs were doing a good job of staying eligible and in school. They signed one class with several special admits, and several SAs in that class didn't stick around at GT for long.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps one major “restriction” for Georgia Tech, then, is very likely GT’s limited curriculum. Most of Tech’s football players currently major in Business Administration, with only a few other players majoring in other fields that are offered by the Institute. This may play a big factor in Georgia Tech’s ability to recruit football players, but then again, I don’t think it should because of all the tutoring available.

GT,
I have a bro-in -law as a Prof at uga.Very few athletes are in any major of rigor so they can "hide" their exceptions in crip majors to account for the multiple EXCEPTIONS they allow.(which means they can "progress" on time) Btw--the fball grad rate at uga has collapsed in last 2 yrs according to a report someone showed here a while back.We are like 7th in nation.
My guess is that only a third of uga guys could cut it at Tech.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
If you read my post above, i spell out the difference in math requirements required for admission for Tech. Also core requirements. You will not find anything definitive on SAT/ACT minimum requirements. GPA maybe, but quality of high school and courses taken have a great effect on GPA.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
a typical day in the life of a GT football player during the season Monday through Thursday at least when i was there
6am weights/treatment if needed
8am breakfast
9-12PM classes
12-2 Lunch, get taped/treatment/get dressed for practice
2-4 meetings
4-630 practice
630 - 8 shower/ treatment/ dinner
8-10? tutoring 3rd floor edge building (sometimes mandatory depending on if youre a freshman and/or what your GPA was)

Mondays were a little different because we had labs and practice was at night and a little shorter

How do they get by taking only 3 classes on a given day? It's been about 20 years since I got out so I honestly don't remember... Is a 3 hour block normal? Or do the players take more classes in spring and attend classes during summer?

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Academic entrance requirements and rigor, the latter being the most significant, are major obstacles in recruiting. They not only limit who we can offer, but they limit us to only athletes with a genuine interest in academics. Iow, those willing to do the work.

The vast majority of elite and many less than elite recruits have little to no interest in academics. So I guess we can try to change their minds or double down on the ones who are already interested in an education.

You can say whatever you want in a PR introductory presser designed to recruit SA’s. In my opinion, we should invest in recruiting nationally for the true scholar athletes far and wide. But I am more than willing to wait and see what strategy Coach employs and it’s success, not just on signing day, but over the course of the next five years. I really and truly hope he pulls in highly ranked classes and they are able to stay eligible throughout their careers and graduate with a “meaningful degree”.

Collins did say we will leave no stones unturned... it's a numbers game after all right? If we look hard enough for the qualified and super athletic and academic student athletes, if you expand your search area and look hard enough, you may just find more that can qualify and are willing to come here right? And that takes money and resources. I feel, Collins at least has his head in the right place when it comes to recruiting. We can go get more Derrick Morgans from outside of the south right?