What are GT’s academic requirements for athletes?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
a typical day in the life of a GT football player during the season Monday through Thursday at least when i was there
6am weights/treatment if needed
8am breakfast
9-12PM classes
12-2 Lunch, get taped/treatment/get dressed for practice
2-4 meetings
4-630 practice
6-30 - 8 shower/ treatment/ dinner
8-10? tutoring 3rd floor edge building (sometimes mandatory depending on if youre a freshman and/or what your GPA was)

Mondays were a little different because we had labs and practice was at night and a little shorter

Did you feel like the coursework (especially with the Math and Science load) was manageable given the resources of tutoring and probably other things (like word)? Was it something you feared before coming into the program, and given what you know now, do you feel like it was overblown?

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Did you feel like the coursework (especially with the Math and Science load) was manageable given the resources of tutoring and probably other things (like word)? Was it something you feared before coming into the program, and given what you know now, do you feel like it was overblown?

1) you have to go to class
2) you have to pay attention
3) you have to take notes
4) you have to study
those are all a given...

after that, yes the tutoring was always available if you asked for it. Math was tougher than science, i took Bio. It was manageable if you stayed on it and went to class, paid attention, and went to tutoring.

just like life, there were no free lunches at GT, but it was great preparation for the real world

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
Technically I think the majority of Tech's S-A's are considering exceptions because the discrepancy between the regular students criteria and the S-As is high (believe we have the highest difference between regular students and S-A SAT scores of any public university). However, based on academic success of the players, CPJ and staff were allowed more flexibility in special admits to even those standards. However, the Hill still has final say. There was a player CPJ offered and wanted to come to Tech (Jr Grondke(?)) that the Hill turned down (some questions regarding transcripts because he was a foreign student before coming to the US). CPJ helped him land at UNC where he started some on the Dline.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Technically I think the majority of Tech's S-A's are considering exceptions because the discrepancy between the regular students criteria and the S-As is high (believe we have the highest difference between regular students and S-A SAT scores of any public university). However, based on academic success of the players, CPJ and staff were allowed more flexibility in special admits to even those standards. However, the Hill still has final say. There was a player CPJ offered and wanted to come to Tech (Jr Grondke(?)) that the Hill turned down (some questions regarding transcripts because he was a foreign student before coming to the US). CPJ helped him land at UNC where he started some on the Dline.

There was a big deal made of a commit a while back who qualified under NCAA minimum standards but not GT's minimum standards. GT ended up having to pull the offer because of that, and the recruit's mother was livid because she felt like the NCAA minimum was what she was told and GT didn't honor it. I remember a lot of media outlets latched onto the story.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Academic entrance requirements and rigor, the latter being the most significant, are major obstacles in recruiting. They not only limit who we can offer, but they limit us to only athletes with a genuine interest in academics. Iow, those willing to do the work.

The vast majority of elite and many less than elite recruits have little to no interest in academics. So I guess we can try to change their minds or double down on the ones who are already interested in an education.

You can say whatever you want in a PR introductory presser designed to recruit SA’s. In my opinion, we should invest in recruiting nationally for the true scholar athletes far and wide. But I am more than willing to wait and see what strategy Coach employs and it’s success, not just on signing day, but over the course of the next five years. I really and truly hope he pulls in highly ranked classes and they are able to stay eligible throughout their careers and graduate with a “meaningful degree”.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Academic entrance requirements and rigor, the latter being the most significant, are major obstacles in recruiting. They not only limit who we can offer, but they limit us to only athletes with a genuine interest in academics. Iow, those willing to do the work.

The vast majority of elite and many less than elite recruits have little to no interest in academics. So I guess we can try to change their minds or double down on the ones who are already interested in an education.

You can say whatever you want in a PR introductory presser designed to recruit SA’s. In my opinion, we should invest in recruiting nationally for the true scholar athletes far and wide. But I am more than willing to wait and see what strategy Coach employs and it’s success, not just on signing day, but over the course of the next five years. I really and truly hope he pulls in highly ranked classes and they are able to stay eligible throughout their careers and graduate with a “meaningful degree”.

CGC has already said he will recruit nationally. He's taking the "leave no rocks unturned" strategy...actually I think he may have literally said that. I'm more of the hit target rich (and by that I mean GT target rich high academic high football talent) areas. That's also nationwide strategy, but you're focusing on areas you know you have talent + academic skillset.

GT's recruiting pool is smaller than most schools. If anyone denies that, they're just not facing reality. The system we ran under CPJ made that small pool even smaller. Now that CGC as openly said he wants an "NFL system" on both sides of the ball (whatever that really means we'll see soon enough) I think the pool becomes bigger.

Like I said, proof is in the pudding. GT fans on both sides of the recruiting debates will soon see if their theories and narratives are correct (or incorrect).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not a sufficient answer. I already know 1 and 2. Thanks

While you know it, I think you may under-appreciate it. It's all anecdotal, but what I recall is that CPJ said that the learning curve was being able to identify the guys that could stay in not just the guys whom he could get in. IIRC, the 2013 class was an eye-opener, but that could've just been rumors.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Boy, that's changed a lot since the 60s. 1400 was the maximum back then.

Yes, 1600 has been the most standard maximum score since the 70's, with the test currently separated into "evidence-based reading and writing (800) AND math (800)". When I took it back in the 1980 time frame, it was called verbal and math, IIRC.

My son, when he made his single-sitting 2370 (super score of 2400), took it during the short period of time when the maximum was 2400, and it was split into 3 categories, math, critical reading, and writing. Of course, since sometime in the early 2000's, an essay is also part of the test, although I believe it is now "optional", where it was mandatory in 2008 and 2009.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
And how does GT’s academic requirements for athletes compare to those of other schools we compete against?

uga admitted at least one student[sic]/athlete who read at a 3rd grade level. He taught himself how to read while at the university[sic] and ended up joining some blue-haired ladies reading group in Athens. It was the dwag feel-good story from a few years ago when it should have been an embarrassment.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC has already said he will recruit nationally. He's taking the "leave no rocks unturned" strategy...actually I think he may have literally said that. I'm more of the hit target rich (and by that I mean GT target rich high academic high football talent) areas. That's also nationwide strategy, but you're focusing on areas you know you have talent + academic skillset.

GT's recruiting pool is smaller than most schools. If anyone denies that, they're just not facing reality. The system we ran under CPJ made that small pool even smaller. Now that CGC as openly said he wants an "NFL system" on both sides of the ball (whatever that really means we'll see soon enough) I think the pool becomes bigger.

Like I said, proof is in the pudding. GT fans on both sides of the recruiting debates will soon see if their theories and narratives are correct (or incorrect).
I agree 110% that we need to go national or even international (think Gotsis) big time. And you have to have the recruiting staff and budget to go national and do it well Hopefully CGC will have enough of those resources to excell Clearly CPJ did not have the resources and just started to get them w TStan. Come on TStan go even bigger on the recruiting side!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Most universities do not actually have a "minimum SAT score" for admittance. They allow themselves the put of admitting students who are exceptional in some specific area but don't have the test scores. This can be a world-class flute player, an exceptional entrepreneur who has started their own website/company in high school....or an athlete. All you can really do these days is look at the average SAT scores of admits and deduce how they evaluate applicants.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree 110% that we need to go national or even international (think Gotsis) big time. And you have to have the recruiting staff and budget to go national and do it well Hopefully CGC will have enough of those resources to excell Clearly CPJ did not have the resources and just started to get them w TStan. Come on TStan go even bigger on the recruiting side!
TStan can only go as big as he can afford. The real trick is increasing revenue. You have to increase revenue to increase spending.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
TStan can only go as big as he can afford. The real trick is increasing revenue. Yep to increase revenue to increase spending.
Not much revenue increase to be had with ticket sales.....selling an extra 10k Sears at $50 a head is only 3 mil over 6 games. Merchandise? TV contracts are fixed....the only real big source of revenue growth is donations.