What are GT’s academic requirements for athletes?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting! Recruiting!! Got to recruit better football players! And Coach Geoff Collins is the man to get it done! ... is a lot of what I’ve been reading here on this board lately.

What exactly are Georgia Tech’s minimum academic requirements for athletic scholarships? I’ve never read them anywhere. Can someone provide them so I can read them here? Or is there a GT link of these academic requirements that I can read?

And how does GT’s academic requirements for athletes compare to those of other schools we compete against?

Finally, does GT have any “exceptions” to these requirements? If so, exactly what are they?

I’m curious because I’ve never read this information. It seems to me our new football coach will need to recruit only those high school prospects who meet these academic requirements.

If anyone knows or has read them, please provide them here. Only serious replies here, please. No generalities.

Animal02

Banned
Recruiting! Recruiting!! Got to recruit better football players! And Coach Geoff Collins is the man to get it done! ... is a lot of what I’ve been reading here on this board lately.

What exactly are Georgia Tech’s minimum academic requirements for athletic scholarships? I’ve never read them anywhere. Can someone provide them so I can read them here? Or is there a GT link of these academic requirements that I can read?

And how does GT’s academic requirements for athletes compare to those of other schools we compete against?

Finally, does GT have any “exceptions” to these requirements? If so, exactly what are they?

I’m curious because I’ve never read this information. It seems to me our new football coach will need to recruit only those high school prospects who meet these academic requirements.

If anyone knows or has read them, please provide them here. Only serious replies here, please. No generalities.
It is not just meeting the requirements.....the other two legs of the stool are.....1) being able to stay eligible and advance toward graduation, 2)Wanting to major in a degree that Tech offers.
All three go hand in hand.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I did a search a while back, and the lowest GPA I could find from a recruit that signed with us was 2.9 GPA. That recruit ended up graduating from GT a couple of years ago.

Test scores? No clue, they don't really publish those anymore on recruiting websites.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
One requirement is completing an advanced math course in high school. I understand that the State of Georgia is making this a requirement for graduation as well, so it shouldn't be a problem.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a fair set of questions and I'd like to know the answers too. What does your GPA have to be, what test scores do you need to have, etc

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Through a Google search, I found this:

https://www.ncsasports.org/athletic-scholarships/football/georgia/georgia-institute-of-technology

However, it’s not quite what I’m looking for. I’m looking for GT’s official printed minimum academic requirements for prospective student-athletes. The same printed material that is given to every high school football player who is offered a scholarship to come play football for Georgia Tech, because GT’s coaches will also need to ensure and verify that each player offered meets these requirements.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I've got it down somewhere, someone reply to this so I can do remember to do it in the morning when I'm back home

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Mind you this 12 yrs ago:
It’s a sliding scale lower the gpa, higher the

If you have a core 3.0 gpa you will need a 980-1010/ SAT/22 ACT. I’m pretty sure the cutoff is 950

Also, you need 4 maths. Either Statistics or Calculus 1

This may or may not be fact but i think you also 2-3 years of a foreign language

The 4yrs of Math killed a lot of people rather than gpa/test scores

Deleted member 2897

If you have a core 3.0 gpa you will need a 980-1010/ SAT/22 ACT. I’m pretty sure the cutoff is 950

This may or may not be fact but i think you also 2-3 years of a foreign language

Georgia Techs average student in the latest class had a ~1450 SAT and had taken 13 AP classes.

We don’t have “athlete majors”, so whoever we accept faces the prospect of competing in classes with these types of folks. A 1000 SAT was indeed probably a good measuring stick 12 years ago (per ibeeballin), along with a 3.0 GPA, and evidence of taking a real class load in high school. There simply is no reason to accept someone if you think they’re going to be miserable. Since general admission numbers have increased over time, I would bet the numbers ibeeballin gave have increased a bit since then. I doubt you will be able to find these things publicly though.

And the majors are a big thing - for example, Clemson’s average SAT is I think 1200 and average weighted GPA is 4.5. But you don’t need anywhere near that if you plan to major in Parks & Rec (yes that’s a real major). Most of these schools offer several dozen various Bachelors of Arts degrees. We offer 0.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No matter what the school accepts, in order to play the student athlete has to meet the NCAA minimums. They aren't very high.
www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIEC_Requirements_Fact_Sheet_20180117.pdf

There was an AJC article in 2014 that reported the number of special admits. They list data, but I am very skeptical of the reporting in this article. Some national news organizations quoted the data, but came to very different conclusions and discussions. They specified a player at GT who was admitted with an SAT score of 590, and one to the mutts with a score of 570. That would not be released in a media request because of privacy concerns. They don't list any sources for the information, so I consider is suspect. I would also like to know how they derived the football player graduation rate of 53%. The APR for GT was in the 950s until 2008-2009 when it started increasing and was in the 980s by 2011-2012. That should account for a higher graduation rate.

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/

When CPJ first started there was a hard limitation on the number of special admits. Sometime, I think it was around 2012, the limitation was lifted because the football program was doing well academically. However, CPJ was told that he and his staff were responsible for ensuring that football players were capable and completing their school work. I didn't read it anywhere, but I perceived a threat of either limitations on the number of special admits returning, or an all out rejection of special admits if the players did not continue to perform academically. CPJ said that they still had to ensure that kids would be able to succeed in the classroom. They didn't increase the number of special admits greatly.

Animal02

Banned
Georgia Techs average student in the latest class had a ~1450 SAT and had taken 13 AP classes.

We don’t have “athlete majors”, so whoever we accept faces the prospect of competing in classes with these types of folks. A 1000 SAT was indeed probably a good measuring stick 12 years ago (per ibeeballin), along with a 3.0 GPA, and evidence of taking a real class load in high school. There simply is no reason to accept someone if you think they’re going to be miserable. Since general admission numbers have increased over time, I would bet the numbers ibeeballin gave have increased a bit since then. I doubt you will be able to find these things publicly though.

And the majors are a big thing - for example, Clemson’s average SAT is I think 1200 and average weighted GPA is 4.5. But you don’t need anywhere near that if you plan to major in Parks & Rec (yes that’s a real major). Most of these schools offer several dozen various Bachelors of Arts degrees. We offer 0.
If I recall, somewhere along the way, SAT scores changed, so you cannot compare ones from to far back with the current day.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I am not positive but I dont think there is a set minimum SAT/ACT/GPA for football players. I think it is taken into account on a case by case basis. I might be wrong though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

@Ibeeballin

You may have answered elsewhere, so I apologize if you're repeating yourself. If you don't mind indulging us (again?), as an actual former scholarship SA that went through GT, what's your honest, nothing but the truth opinion about the academic side of GT from an SA's POV? Is it as hard as some make it sound? Was the tutoring/academic help for SAs a good resource in helping with the academics? Anything else you would add given all the narratives that go back and forth between the posters who have no clue what SAs at GT go through?

Any other former SA who "got out" please feel free to chime in. I think your POV helps immensely in dispelling or confirming a lot of narratives that most of us can only imagine.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not positive but I dont think there is a set minimum SAT/ACT/GPA for football players. I think it is taken into account on a case by case basis. I might be wrong though.
This is my understanding as well. The actual, factual legal minimum published by GT admissions is hilariously low, and generally doesn't represent a student that would be able to finish a GT degree.

Like ibb said, even for S-As there has to be evidence on your transcript that you have a shot at getting through a BS BA degree, which means HS Calc or equivalent.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

The 4yrs of Math killed a lot of people rather than gpa/test scores[/QUOTE]

This in bold above.

I think this is what gets most "disqualified", as most high schools, if kids are giving some effort, will give decent grades. Also, 950 SAT or 21 ACT, with some tutoring and assistance (I know, since I tutor all the time) is not something that can't be obtained by a kid who is trying in high school (assuming the school is any good and not just pushing everyone forward no matter what).

FYI - the math/science requirements is why it is also near to impossible to get an undergraduate transfer student, I believe. When I did not got to GT right out of college, I was told I had to attend an accredited school, take the 1st 2 calculus classes, my 2 chemistry classes, and Eng Comp 1 and 2, and if I made "A's" in all of those, they would consider me. This after I had been originally accepted out of high school.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
@Ibeeballin

You may have answered elsewhere, so I apologize if you're repeating yourself. If you don't mind indulging us (again?), as an actual former scholarship SA that went through GT, what's your honest, nothing but the truth opinion about the academic side of GT from an SA's POV? Is it as hard as some make it sound? Was the tutoring/academic help for SAs a good resource in helping with the academics? Anything else you would add given all the narratives that go back and forth between the posters who have no clue what SAs at GT go through?

Any other former SA who "got out" please feel free to chime in. I think your POV helps immensely in dispelling or confirming a lot of narratives that most of us can only imagine.

a typical day in the life of a GT football player during the season Monday through Thursday at least when i was there
6am weights/treatment if needed
8am breakfast
9-12PM classes
12-2 Lunch, get taped/treatment/get dressed for practice
2-4 meetings
4-630 practice
630 - 8 shower/ treatment/ dinner
8-10? tutoring 3rd floor edge building (sometimes mandatory depending on if youre a freshman and/or what your GPA was)

Mondays were a little different because we had labs and practice was at night and a little shorter