What’s the worst weather at a Tech game you can remember?

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Peach bowls were bad but also remember a 68 game as a kid against Navy with sleet, cold rain. It was bad 35-15 loss and freezing.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
After the Orange Bowl against Iowa, there was a small fire in the laundry room of the hotel we were staying at, and everybody had to evacuate the rooms at around 0400.
Couldn't wait to get back to Georgia at that moment.

The second half deluge game at home against UNC was made better with dinner at Hal's that night.

You want hot? PJ's first game as a head coach at Southern. Against Valdosta State in Statesboro. They had about 30 plus folks in the stands fall out from the heat that day. It was brutal, even for the Boro.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The rain in the UNC game around 2014 (?)

The heat at the NC St game with Russell Wilson running around.

We weren't playing but the Peach Bowl with Ariz St (?) in about 1970 (?)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Found this the other day but didn't have a second to share. Exact moment in that UNC game referenced earlier where the skies opened up before a huge play...granted I watch most Tech games live in the stadium but this is some of the most deafening crowd noise I've heard from a BDS telecast on the 3rd and 4th downs.

Edit: not embedding correctly but 1:25:46 in https://youtu.be/SGduxA4W6Ag

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I remember that play. The rain got so bad it was hard to see the field from the upper east. We were down a score and really needed a third down stop. Attouchu (sp?) was a beast.

CPJ had some good players on defense even after the 2007 class moved on - just not enough of them.

1976jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree on the 1974 mutt game in Athens. Truly wretched weather. Didn’t have tickets so we stood on the railroad tracks that ran behind one end zone. This was before they enclosed the stadium. Hung in there for most of the second half and finally bailed when Tech had the game well in hand. Very few mutt fans still around by then, most had slunk away at halftime. Cold, rainy, sleeting - just horrible weather.
I
For those that were there the 08/9 Orange Bowl was NASTY.Coldess OB ever .I was near top of stadium with 25 mph winds and 39 deg. And LOST.----We had some coats but still froze.
And I remember them showing past OB games on the screen; everybody in shorts and short sleeves etc!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Do GT spring games count? My wife and I were at one a few years ago on a Fri night along with about 100 other brave diehards in a pouring rain, cold and windy taking shelter up under the club level overhang to survive

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
1990 VPI at BDS. Cold, windy, and rainy earlier in the day, but still very damp and raw. IIRC, GT won that 6-3. Miserable day on the Flats.
Surprised to see that I’m not the only one to pic this game. Had my 9 and 8 year old kids in the stands. It was a very deceiving weather day. Totally unprepared for the bone chilling wind. Throw in the nail biting game , making it impossible to leave early with the game in the balance.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Surprised to see that I’m not the only one to pic this game. Had my 9 and 8 year old kids in the stands. It was a very deceiving weather day. Totally unprepared for the bone chilling wind. Throw in the nail biting game , making it impossible to leave early with the game in the balance.
I’ve at (and in) some bone chilling games and that’s the most miserable I’ve ever been at a football game. I think a cold front - and this was mid-November - blew through during the game.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
People have covered the cold/wet games pretty well. Trying to think of the worst early September Summer Heat games we've had. If I recall correctly, South Florida in 2019 was absolutely miserable. Felt like I was melting into the seats at BDS.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's the 2002 Clemson monsoon game for me. A buddy and I were standing at the very top of Death Valley and we couldn't even see the players on the field. Of course, it's hard to see from way up there even on a clear day.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's the 2002 Clemson monsoon game for me. A buddy and I were standing at the very top of Death Valley and we couldn't even see the players on the field. Of course, it's hard to see from way up there even on a clear day.
Steepest stadium I've ever been in. Felt like I was on a stairmaster climbing to the top of Section TDT. It's annoying that the upper decks at Memorial don't wrap 360 degrees around but thankfully we were there early enough that we didn't miss the running down the hill entrance (which is pretty overrated as far as college football entrances go) despite attempting to go into the wrong gate.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
People have covered the cold/wet games pretty well. Trying to think of the worst early September Summer Heat games we've had. If I recall correctly, South Florida in 2019 was absolutely miserable. Felt like I was melting into the seats at BDS.
Well how about 2018 when we played in Tampa - I was in the shade thank goodness but wife still made us leave early

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well how about 2018 when we played in Tampa - I was in the shade thank goodness but wife still made us leave early
She probably made you leave early because there was nothing memorable about the game except USF scoring 14 points without running a single offensive play - returning 2 kickoffs for touchdowns. Then when the USF offense did get the ball, they scored 7 on the 1st play (after another long kickoff return). We were not able to stop them at all. Ugly, horrible, rotten game for GT. I wish I had left early so my son and I did not have to hear it from all of our USF friends (his classmates) here in Tampa.