What’s the worst weather at a Tech game you can remember?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Oddly enough, mine is probably just some cold weather late in a season or a bowl game. I say oddly because I was in the band for 2010-2012 and 2014, going to every home game, Clemson, u[sic]ga, and VT or UVA a couple years. I guess I got lucky never having to deal with rain or bad weather. I don't think I ever even had to sit through a lightning delay at a game. I did go to the Pitt game in 2022 (Key's first game as IHC), and it was rainy and cold. but not too crazy.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
She probably made you leave early because there was nothing memorable about the game except USF scoring 14 points without running a single offensive play - returning 2 kickoffs for touchdowns. Then when the USF offense did get the ball, they scored 7 on the 1st play (after another long kickoff return). We were not able to stop them at all. Ugly, horrible, rotten game for GT. I wish I had left early so my son and I did not have to hear it from all of our USF friends (his classmates) here in Tampa.
it was not one of our best efforts but early in the game we ran it down their throats and then they would return the kickoff for a td. then we would do the same thing again. CPJ was not happy because he had the TO rolling but still lost.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
it was not one of our best efforts but early in the game we ran it down their throats and then they would return the kickoff for a td. then we would do the same thing again. CPJ was not happy because he had the TO rolling but still lost.
That is certainly true....we were down 21 - 17 in the 1st half. We scored on the 1st drive; USF kickoff return for touchdown. We score on 2nd drive; USF return for touchdown. We score on 3rd drive; USF scores on 1st play from scrimmage after long kickoff return. I was so frustrated that I wanted our guys to just kick out of bounds and give them the ball on the 35. I went back to watch the replay after this thread and this game was more competitive than I remembered; we had a lead of 38 - 35 in the 4th before giving up two late touchdowns. The final score was 49 - 38. I only remembered the onslaught of kickoffs returns and our inability to make any kind of adjustment.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1990 VPI at BDS. Cold, windy, and rainy earlier in the day, but still very damp and raw. IIRC, GT won that 6-3. Miserable day on the Flats.
This is the one for me as well.
Absolutely miserable day. The wind was unreal. Neither team could pass the ball because of the wind. It caused almost every pass to either sail or just fall dead short depending upon which way you were moving on the field.
Cold and raw is a great description.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Against NC State circa 1992-93.
Was that the game that was about 400 degrees? Definitely my choice. Ice in sprites melted before you could get back to your seats. Or was that the nasty wet game? We had some terrible weather with them always

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Do GT spring games count? My wife and I were at one a few years ago on a Fri night along with about 100 other brave diehards in a pouring rain, cold and windy taking shelter up under the club level overhang to survive
April 2014... Before it came down in buckets!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731-173334.png
    Screenshot_20240731-173334.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
NC, 10 years ago or so? I remember it raining enough that the casuals left the stands. Then it began to rain more. Around the middle of the game there was so much rain I couldn't see the players on the field from the upper stands. At that point I was already so wet it didn't matter any more so I just stayed out there. The Jackets won.
“We ain’t dead yet”…Paul Johnson post game

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That is certainly true....we were down 21 - 17 in the 1st half. We scored on the 1st drive; USF kickoff return for touchdown. We score on 2nd drive; USF return for touchdown. We score on 3rd drive; USF scores on 1st play from scrimmage after long kickoff return. I was so frustrated that I wanted our guys to just kick out of bounds and give them the ball on the 35. I went back to watch the replay after this thread and this game was more competitive than I remembered; we had a lead of 38 - 35 in the 4th before giving up two late touchdowns. The final score was 49 - 38. I only remembered the onslaught of kickoffs returns and our inability to make any kind of adjustment.
yeah and a searcy fumble with us driving and leading 38-35 with 7 minutes left in game was a real pisser. A td there and well I think we would have won.