What’s the worst weather at a Tech game you can remember?

Poodletop

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree on the 1974 mutt game in Athens. Truly wretched weather. Didn’t have tickets so we stood on the railroad tracks that ran behind one end zone. This was before they enclosed the stadium. Hung in there for most of the second half and finally bailed when Tech had the game well in hand. Very few mutt fans still around by then, most had slunk away at halftime. Cold, rainy, sleeting - just horrible weather.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Memorial Stadium, Clemson.
Constant rain. 100% rain from 2pm through the night. We got to Clemson about 30 minutes before kickoff and had to walk over a mile in the rain. We were not prepared🤣. We didn't have a poncho, we didn't have anything. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, my wife was wearing flip flops and shorts and a blouse. We looked like drowned rats. We stayed through the entire game though! We were freezing cold and sat in water the whole game.

We weren't prepared because we were out at the mall of GA over an hour away from home. A buddy called me told me he couldn't make it to the game and offered us tickets. We said heck yeah! Without looking at the weather. We had to drop everything and leave right then. We were gifted $400 worth of tickets so we felt like we had to go, haha.

Big mistake.🤣

The condensed version of the game is below. When we got home I watched some of the recorded game. I could swear you could hear me scream out "AH S#IT!" After the GT fumble 🤣

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
1998 Boston College at home was probably the hottest I’ve been at home. People were passing out.

2014 at Tulane - where there were parts of the stadium without running water - was also brutally hot.

2002 at Clemson was ridiculous rain. Couldn’t even see the field.

2010 Orange Bowl might be the coldest I’ve been. I was completely unprepared.

I don’t remember the exact year…maybe 2004 or 2006 in Athens was rainy, cold, and miserable.

We played Carolina at home with CPJ where it rained the whole time too.

If I have to pick one I’d say the game at Clemson was probably the most ridiculous playing conditions. It was raining so hard there were waterfalls pouring down the upper sections in the stadium. I don’t know how anyone could even hold the ball.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
NC, 10 years ago or so? I remember it raining enough that the casuals left the stands. Then it began to rain more. Around the middle of the game there was so much rain I couldn't see the players on the field from the upper stands. At that point I was already so wet it didn't matter any more so I just stayed out there. The Jackets won.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
“Can remember” disqualifies many of the games I’ve been to - especially losses.

I do recall thinking I was going to die of hypothermia - IN MIAMI, FL - at the 2010 Orange Bowl v Iowa.

Edit to add, this may not count as a memory either since according to the fair and unbiased NCAA, this game never happened due to $300 worth of clothes.
That game was by far my worse game climate wise and disappointment. I had promised my wife a great time staying in South Beach with warm weather after taking her to the ACCCG in 2006 where I was sick and wouldn't leave the game until we took the lead, which we never did. Had take her to Key West to thaw out after the game.
But the worse part for me was watching our offense with highly talented players get stifled by a well coached, disciplined team. I never truly believed in that offense again, though we did have some good years.

konabuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
“Can remember” disqualifies many of the games I’ve been to - especially losses.

I do recall thinking I was going to die of hypothermia - IN MIAMI, FL - at the 2010 Orange Bowl v Iowa.

Edit to add, this may not count as a memory either since according to the fair and unbiased NCAA, this game never happened due to $300 worth of clothes.

My dad was worried about me. We were well dressed. Not Lake Tahoe well dressed, but damn well dressed for Miami. Caught a chill.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
For me, as others have mentioned, the coldest was the 2010 Orange Bowl and the 2013 UNC game was the wettest Tech game. My very first game at Tech, 1980 against UF (their last visit to the flats), I remember we were competitive for a half but then a Florida type downpour opened up during the second half and UF just pulled away.

Speaking of Florida downpours, I was in the Big Sombrero for the Monsoon game, Bucs vs Chiefs in 1979. We had seats in the first row around the 10 yard line and my seat was next to an aisle, which was a waterfall for this game. Never left our seats.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
If we’re talking any Tech game, I’d say 2017 Clemson. Heavy driving rain in Death Valley from the moment the band got off the bus to the moment we got back on it soaked from head to toe. What a miserable trip back to Atlanta!

If it has to be in Bobby Dodd, then 2013 UNC. Torrential downpours all game. Winning made it more bearable.
Was at this Clemson game as well and can confirm. Rained so hard you couldn’t see us playing in the other end zone from the fan section. Literal waterfalls coming from the upper deck.

For BDS I’d go 2018 Miami, pretty sure windchill was in the low 20s or high teens on that one. Just bitter cold and few were dressed for such a cold snap in early November.

Last edited:

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Worst weather tech game I've been to is probably Clemson's monsoon

Now the worst weather game I've been to hands down was christmas eve pittsburgh steelers vs las vegas 2022 It was 2 degress with wind chill making it negaive 35-40 I wanna say

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
That game was by far my worse game climate wise and disappointment. I had promised my wife a great time staying in South Beach with warm weather after taking her to the ACCCG in 2006 where I was sick and wouldn't leave the game until we took the lead, which we never did. Had take her to Key West to thaw out after the game.
But the worse part for me was watching our offense with highly talented players get stifled by a well coached, disciplined team. I never truly believed in that offense again, though we did have some good years.

I’ll admit I felt that way too afterwards. I recall thinking with enough prep, anyone good could stop us. Season openers were generally mitigated since we played mostly cupcakes to open; however when we played decent teams such as VT or Tenny to open, we lost. And obviously bowl games have ample time to prepare.

But I will also admit now that those were the good old days relatively speaking to 2019-present…

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Everyone seems to remember cold and rain.

The one that comes to mind for me was the 1981 game against Alabama at Legion Field. The temp was high 90's and it was probably 110+ on the field. Announcers were telling everyone to drink fluids and refrain from alcohol (due to dehydration). I recall 5-6 people that had heat stroke and had to be involuntarily removed from the stands.

I can put a poncho on for a game in the rain. There is no respite from the heat though, in an early season, afternoon game.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I can put a poncho on for a game in the rain. There is no respite from the heat though, in an early season, afternoon game.

That’s when you need to try to get a suite and cheer like this guy

IMG_5302.gif

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
The worst weather Tech game that I've ever been to was the 2013 Music City Bowl between Tech and Ole Miss. Froze my butt off during that game. Thankfully there was a heated indoor section for food behind our seats where we could warm up for a moment or too between the action (or lack thereof).

RighteousFist

Georgia Tech Fan
A tropical depression hit Clemson' Memorial Stadium in the second game of the 2002 season vs. Tech. I have never seen harder rain and was standing in a foot of water. I was also at the opener in Blacksburg during Mike Vick's senior year when large thunder storms rolled in causing the cancellation of the game. The teams had lined up for the kickoff when nearby lightning strikes sent everyone scurrying for cover. Whoever was in charge that night was extremely fortunate that lightning didn't hit the stadium, (but Lee Corso's car was hit and blew up in the parking lot.) The stadium officials waited far too long before telling the fans to take shelter. It took more than 20 minutes to get everyone out of the stands and it really could have been a disaster. I am confident that dangerous scenario will never repeat itself.

It was Tropical Storm Hannah. We were all the way at the top of the stadium and we just got pounded by rain all day. Soaked to the bone and miserable for the ride home. We could barely see the opposite sideline. Billy O'Brien thought it was great weather to have AJ throw 30+ times from shotgun. The worst overall gameday experience of my life.